The online racing simulator
Shift-r
(34 posts, started )
@Gentlefoot: I think it was me who got this remark ("so what"), and boy, was I pissed off... :-( ... as all above stated, that's a selfish behaviour and in my opinion would be enough to ban these people from the server so maybe then they can think about it for some time

@Scarwen: concerning the "/rstend" option, I think it would deprive the majority of "reasonable" gamers of an option necessary in some cases... consider a race where 90 % of racers crash in T1 and block the way for all others... or a wrecker who "eliminates" the leading three racers... so, in some cases, an option to have a restart is really necessary, but it should be approved by all participants in the ongoing race... why not implement that feature?
Quote from Gentlefoot :Something has been really annoying me lately, particularly on demo servers so I thought I'd start this thread in an attempt to educate the offending drivers.

When a 10 lap race is in progress, say 5 laps in maybe, DO NOT vote to restart. Instead, wait for the race to end and then vote restart.

I was on the CRC demo server the other day and it was lap 4 of 5. One guy kept voting to restart. Another guy just behind me in the race asked him to stop. He explained that people were still racing. The response was "so what". I thought this was incredibly rude.

The amount of times I will be nearing the end of the lap, right at the front because others were involved in accidents and it gets restarted. How annoying!

Another time, I joined a race mid way through and on the last lap I was on a flyer. Thought I was about to beat my PB but just as I came through the last complex, the race was restarted and I didn't get my time. I also lost my grid position.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN EVERYONE WAIT UNTIL ALL RACERS HAVE COMPLETED THEIR RACE BEFORE VOTING TO RESTART

i agree, its so annoying, especially as i'm kind of new so when i get a good spot them lose it due to some idiots restarting....grrr....lol
Quote from Theafro :
alternatively just turn mid-race join off, it's annoying for those who respect others but even more annoying for the ignorant, it works tho'.

There is a bug with midrace join though. If every leaves the race and no one finishes then the server is locked until an admin can free it. You can only vote to end or restart if you are on the track, but you can't get on the track because a race is in progress. Its a visious cycle.

The whole system needs to be re-evaluated. The laps completeld=voting weight is a good idea. That added to a revamp of the race joinging rules would probaly be the most effective and simple solution.

In the mean time, if you want to attract more dedicated good drivers, put up a server with longer races, no mid join and voting restrictions.
Anything automated you can think of will be exploited, the only answer is admin present on the servers.

Another game I play has moderators that can go in any server and admin. These people are normal but respected players who are invited by the mod department to become mods, if they accept, they are then trained in administrating and have a [Mod] tag placed on the end of their name. They are effectively a policing dept and the system works very well, they just play as normal but can take control of the server if needed and kick unruly players. The server list shows if a mod is present in a server so you know you can have a hastle free time in there.

Could such a system be employed here for the demo servers?
First I want to say that alot of you mentioned what Scawen said about the "/restend 90" command and most commented like that was no restart until 90 seconds after race start. That command is no restart for 90 seconds after the leader finishes the race to allow everyone else to finish without it being restarted.

On that note, I love the /restend command as it is so frustrating to be on the last lap and the race restart without recording a finishing position for if, for example, you save replays, or just generally like to finish the race. I like to finish, whether it's for first or for nineth.

I hate most other restart votes at the beginning of the race when people crash out and expect everyone else to restart. I say most and not all because, I do like when I'm in a server full of good racers and an incident happen, to restart to get everyone back in. There have been times where I've run to 1st or 2nd and voted a restart because I want the full field as I've been enjoying racing with all of them. I think maybe a restart should depend on at least 1 of the current top 3 positions voting for a restart, maybe past a certain point or something.

I've been in situations where I've crashed out at the start, and had others ask me if I want a restart. I usually say, it's up to the leaders. I can wait 7 freakin minutes and just run at the tail practicing some offline running or something. If those who are up front want me in, then I'll give them the choice to restart to get me back in.

Some of the ideas up above are pretty good, like the weighted vote depending on how much of the race has gone on.

@Gimpster, I think I was the first to bring to the forum about the no-midjoin bug. I was in a server with 1 other person and we were sitting front bumper to front bumper admiring and talking car skins. He was facing in reverse and started to go, the wrong way. He got kicked to spectate. At the same time, I was sitting next to the exit of the closed pitlane of Aston Nat, and I thought, hmm, wonder if I can go through or is it blocked? So I went into the pits the wrong way and got kicked to spectate. So, we were both in spectate with no-midjoin on and couldn't do anything. We fixed it by both disconnecting and reconnecting again.
Quote from o000o :Could such a system be employed here for the demo servers?

Quite possibly, but the only way to do it at the moment is to give out the server Admin password to trusted individuals... not many want to do this.

I have thought for awhile now it would be good if servers had three accounts instead of two i.e. Admin, Guest and Moderator accounts.

That way you could issue the Mod password to quite a number of people without compromising the Admin password/security of the server your running.

It would also work well with your sujestion in that many unrelated servers could have different Admin passwords but the same Mod password if the community decided to band together in the way you discribe.
Quote from Scawen :Maybe hosts should use the /rstend setting?

For example : /rstend 90

That would disallow votes to restart for 90 seconds after the winner finishes the race.

Yep, i think this is a nice and simple option that servers could use.
Might be good to have a certain value by default in case there's
no admin present. I'd also add a flood protection. I was playing BF2 last
night and got carried away with the voice coms and the game started
yelling at me "Stop yaking and start fighting soldier !", hehe.
What about a system where you can veto a restart if your still racing, this would still allow a restart in a server with no one left in a race or when everyone is happy with it.
Then we'd have retards vetoing just for the hell of it

Shift-r
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG