The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from The Moose :That's tricky.
It's the way you have to drive iRacing that bugs me.
It's really frustrating, as if it wasn't for the way your forced to take part in racing the way they want you to, i feel it would easily become the most popular sim on the market.

You mean you dont like the concept of 'organisation'? You prefer just random unorganised pick up races with half filled servers and un even skill levels? That sucks and is why pick up racing is so crap these days. Nothing wrong with some organisation and structure.
Quote from Monty :You mean you dont like the concept of 'organisation'? You prefer just random unorganised pick up races with half filled servers and un even skill levels? That sucks and is why pick up racing is so crap these days. Nothing wrong with some organisation and structure.

That isn't the difference between iRental and other sims. You can get plenty of organized sim racing without buying into iR, and there's absolutely NO guarantee (and some evidence contrary) that you'll get a full grid when you race iR.. and by a full race, do you mean a full iR grid or a full (eg) LFS grid, because there are significant differences there, OOTB, too.
Quote from Monty :and developed in notepad?Or live for speed with 5 year old dated graphics, and same old fantasy tracks that we have been driving on for years, not to mention utter crap sounds?

Nkpro which is just half a game and rough as hell?

Between LFS (i don't care about the graphics in the slightest. They are pretty neutral and functional, more tracks would be nice..I'm sure they will come.) in which i get my fill of top quality pickup racing on CTRA, and nKPro which is far from half a game and rough as hell (it's a high quality sim that's a bit rough around the edges) in which, for two years, i've had a league racing experience that not even iRacing can currently provide, all my current sim racing needs are met. (both have great physics and quality racing, that's enough for me thanks)

I'm not having a go at iRacing or anyone that want's to enjoy the great stuff it offers.(have to keep emphasising this as some people cant read or understand) I just don't need to pay $13 (min) a month for it's services yet, as it doesn't provide what I'm looking for from sim racing.

For me it costs to much for what it currently offers. How hard is that to understand?

I love sim racing. I love a hardcore approach to sim racing (my love affair with nKPro is well known) If i was a multi-millionaire i wouldn't subscribe to iRacing yet.

I'm amazed that some people are so blind that they can't see why not every sim racer on the planet wishes to buy into iRacing as it stands.

I'm also disappointed at some of the ridiculous snobbery and elitism of some of the iRacing community at RSC who seem to have decided that they are the only real simracers in the universe.

It's also no good having a well funded cutting edge simulation if it doesn't yet offer things that a lot of sim racers want.
I applaud those who are buying into it's undoubted potential and are happy with what it currently provides.
Quote from sinbad :It really is a "lure you in and hold on tight" pricing system. I may be a cynic, but realistically the basic content is not enough to make the subscription worth paying, and then once you've forked out for the content, which you need, you're compelled to keep up the subscription to get value from your content purchase.

So you need more content to make the subscription worth paying, and then you need to keep paying the subscription to make the content worth buying. I can't imagine many people will subscribe for 1 or 3 months to "try it" buy a load of content and then happily just let the subscription lapse and lose the money they bought content with. I think I would come down with a chronic case of "Buyer's remorse" at some point. But then I've tested it, and this is just my opinion based on those few weeks.

Thats just the usual suscription model, just like my pay tv for example. You have pay tv dont you? They obviously want to make money and I hope they make a lot because it will mean a better and faster developing simulation, something that we have been missing in the community.
Quote from Monty :You mean you dont like the concept of 'organisation'? You prefer just random unorganised pick up races with half filled servers and un even skill levels? That sucks and is why pick up racing is so crap these days. Nothing wrong with some organisation and structure.

Exactly, SOME... If it means I'm restricted in every possible way imaginable by it, then it becomes bad... Which is the case with iRacing... As sinbad said, you get the distinct impression that you're degraded to a willingness cash-cow, ready to be milked...

Why do I have to prove I'm worth driving a specific car? Maybe I don't need to be nursed to the high powered cars... And even if I would, a few tests offline would certainly bring much more insight than driving a boring slow standard road car for months... It's not like there is any danger of property to be damaged or destroyed after all...

If they absolutely have to insist on their server farms and matchmaking, why not introduce a RTS-like lobby where you specify a combo, the master server creates a host for you or joins you to the appropriate server, and when enough people are in, off you go?
well I hope they will be successful too but it doesn't mean the cash will come out of my pocket, everyone has different value and things that they need to spend on. saying the price doesn't justify the game for ourselves does not mean it's a totally rejection of the concept. A lot of people here find it a bold move.
Quote from The Moose :Between LFS (i don't care about the graphics in the slightest. They are pretty neutral and functional, more tracks would be nice..I'm sure they will come.) in which i get my fill of top quality pickup racing on CTRA, and nKPro which is far from half a game and rough as hell (it's a high quality sim that's a bit rough around the edges) in which, for two years, i've had a league racing experience that not even iRacing can currently provide, all my current sim racing needs are met. (both have great physics and quality racing, that's enough for me thanks)

I'm not having a go at iRacing or anyone that want's to enjoy the great stuff it offers.(have to keep emphasising this as some people cant read or understand) I just don't need to pay $13 (min) a month for it's services yet, as it doesn't provide what I'm looking for from sim racing.

For me it costs to much for what it currently offers. How hard is that to understand?

I love sim racing. I love a hardcore approach to sim racing (my love affair with nKPro is well known) If i was a multi-millionaire i wouldn't subscribe to iRacing yet.

I'm amazed that some people are so blind that they can't see why not every sim racer on the planet wishes to buy into iRacing as it stands.

I'm also disappointed at some of the ridiculous snobbery and elitism of some of the iRacing community at RSC who seem to have decided that they are the only real simracers in the universe.

It's also no good having a well funded cutting edge simulation if it doesn't yet offer things that a lot of sim racers want.
I applaud those who are buying into it's undoubted potential and are happy with what it currently provides.

Ok thats your opinion so fair enough. Ill give you mine.

Im also a hard core simmer and I think the community has grown very stale and im sick of it. The scene has been stagnet and tired lately and Im desperate for something fresh.

Ive played RF to death for 3 years and its been great but its stale now. Pickup racing is a waste of time because with al the mods its hard to find servers with enough drivers for a good race and the skill levels are a joke and its full of wreckers. Most mods have good graphics but physics are very hit and miss. League racing is good and offers great racing but I want a better leve of simulation. Its 2008 afterall. I want to move forward.

Ive toyed with LFS since the demo days but its never grabbed me. There was always something 'lightweight' about it. Fantasy cars and fantasy tracks dont grab you like real ones, and they have barely changed in years. Graphics are very dated and for me its quite an important issue because its part of realism and simulation, and I want to utilize my new graphics cars. Sounds are still crap also and development rate is very slow. Community is great but it cant make up for the short comings of the game. Im sure its a great game for fun, but for serious sim fans its not good enough.

Nkpro has some good aspects like physics and FFB but its miles from being professional and to me its a waste of time because it has no future. Online code is crap, and is limited to 15 or so drivers, tracks are limited, interface is ugly and none of this will get fixed anytime soon if ever so to me its a dead end. The community is also dead which is a big big area of importance to me.

Iracing basically fixes all the short comings of all these simulations and is a package of all the best bits we have scattered in the other sims so its what Ive been waiting for and Im sure as hell not going to miss it for the sake of $13 a month, the amount of money most people spend at Mcdonalds or a cafe in a single sitting. Hell a pizza costs more than that. Ive just happy I have the OPPORTUNITY to pay someone for such a quality of service and product, and dont intend of waiting another 5 years playing the same dated games just so I can save a few bucks.

Another big issue with sim racing is that the community is scattered through many different games and mods. For sim racing to reach the highest level and become a 'sport' the community needs to be centralized, and I see Iracing as that hub to turn this hobby into something more serious and fun. Thats why I hope its supported.
Quote from bbman :Exactly, SOME... If it means I'm restricted in every possible way imaginable by it, then it becomes bad... Which is the case with iRacing... As sinbad said, you get the distinct impression that you're degraded to a willingness cash-cow, ready to be milked...

Why do I have to prove I'm worth driving a specific car? Maybe I don't need to be nursed to the high powered cars... And even if I would, a few tests offline would certainly bring much more insight than driving a boring slow standard road car for months... It's not like there is any danger of property to be damaged or destroyed after all...

If they absolutely have to insist on their server farms and matchmaking, why not introduce a RTS-like lobby where you specify a combo, the master server creates a host for you or joins you to the appropriate server, and when enough people are in, off you go?

Oh god stop being so INSECURE and crying about some professional structure. You have it in real life motorsport so it should be in a simulation. It makes everything you do in the game have value and importance as you get better and progess. Instead of being insecure you should enjoy it. Are you worried about being a 'cash cow' when you pay money for other products and services in your every day life? Like your pay tv or mobile phone?

The reason they have the matching making system is to ensure there are always servers with high number of cars and balanced skill, otherwise you have random rubbish pick up racing as you do now in LFS and RF, where its hard to find filled servers and high quality racing. Everytime I check out lfs servers I see most of them empty or filled with idiots. The iracing system will help fix this.
one thing that LFS has Monty over most other sims is a fantastic online community which is more the base of the game in my view!

Unless you are part of a community in Rfactor you go through the hassle of all having the same cars/tracks etc while with LFS, this is the community!
Quote from Monty :Oh god stop being so INSECURE and crying about some professional structure. You have it in real life motorsport so it should be in a simulation. It makes everything you do in the game have value and importance as you get better and progess. Instead of being insecure you should enjoy it. Are you worried about being a 'cash cow' when you pay money for other products and services in your every day life? Like your pay tv or mobile phone?

You'll find I'm all but insecure, bashing out in that direction won't get me to cave in... TV I have to pay for because it's mandatory, not because I choose to... And my mobile phone I OWN, I can sell it if I don't like it... Which brings me to the point where your cunning little analogy fails: I can use my TV and my phone in any way I like, I'm not restricted to watch just one show or phone one number a whole week... And be honest: at the end of the day, nothing in a simulated environment has any value, even though you want it so much...

We have enough bureaucracy in our work life, do we really need to have our free time and hobby dictated by it?

Give me control, and I'm sold... Treat me like a baby and I as a consumer will slam the door into your face...
Quote from Monty :Ok thats your opinion so fair enough. Ill give you mine...

Thanks for that, I feel exactly the same way. I had two years away travelling and came back to find nothing had changed in sim-racing. I downloaded the latest versions of rFactor, LFS and nkPro and was really disappointed. nkPro is absolutely brilliant for driving - it immediately feels right and imo is the current market leader for realism by some way. However, I'm not paying for an incomplete product with useless support and a dubious future.

rFactor's probably the best all rounder at the moment but is still nothing far beyond what we had a couple of years ago.

And LFS felt pretty much the same as it has since about 2004. Great fun online but sadly quite dull and odd to drive otherwise. And the sounds! The new F1 car made me laugh out loud when I revved it!

Honestly, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 sounds better!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAigrVc_Njk

That's Grand Prix 2 from 1994. :eek:

So yes, we desparately need something new.
Quote :one thing that LFS has Monty over most other sims is a fantastic online community which is more the base of the game in my view!

We won't know what the iRacing community is like until it becomes established though.

Quote :Exactly, SOME... If it means I'm restricted in every possible way imaginable by it, then it becomes bad...

On the other hand, a restrictive system like that will completely filter out the drifting crowd, the cruising crowd, wreckers, texture artists () and other undesirables and simply solidify the racing. It's funny that there's so much antagonism towards this approach because it just seems like a very straight forward way to focus people.
Quote from Electrik Kar :We won't know what the iRacing community is like until it becomes established though.

The current iR community is VERY passionate and very busy.
Quote from danowat :The current iR community is VERY passionate and very busy.

And very rich. Well broke now, least the devs are rich.
Quote from bbman :You'll find I'm all but insecure, bashing out in that direction won't get me to cave in... TV I have to pay for because it's mandatory, not because I choose to... And my mobile phone I OWN, I can sell it if I don't like it... Which brings me to the point where your cunning little analogy fails: I can use my TV and my phone in any way I like, I'm not restricted to watch just one show or phone one number a whole week... And be honest: at the end of the day, nothing in a simulated environment has any value, even though you want it so much...

We have enough bureaucracy in our work life, do we really need to have our free time and hobby dictated by it?

Give me control, and I'm sold... Treat me like a baby and I as a consumer will slam the door into your face...

Paying for TV isnt mandatory, you can watch free to air but you dont because you want higher viewing quality and pleasure. And you are restricted by when your specific movie or show starts.

As for Iracing 'restrictions', well your not restricted anymore than 20 formula one drivers yesterday who were all forced to drive at Canada. boo hoo and in two weeks time they are will be forced to race at magney cours. If you dont want to race on specific track then just test alone on your choice.
Quote from Monty :Paying for TV isnt mandatory, you can watch free to air but you dont because you want higher viewing quality and pleasure. And you are restricted by when your specific movie or show starts.

You really want to tell me how it works here?

Quote from Monty :As for Iracing 'restrictions', well your not restricted anymore than 20 formula one drivers yesterday who were all forced to drive at Canada. boo hoo and in two weeks time they are will be forced to race at magney cours.

That's because it's their job... They get paid lots of money for it... Do I get paid driving in iRacing?
Quote from Monty :Paying for TV isnt mandatory

In a fair few countries it is. Merely possessing a device capable of receiving and decoding TV transmissions is enough to require a licence, regardless of whether (or how) you actually use it.
If iRacing is popular then sim racing as a 'whole' COULD be in BIG trouble.

iRacing may or may not be of higher quality than any other sim. From what I have read I am certainly not convinced it's that much better then anything else out there.

But this is my point - if iRacing is successful at attracting a large percentage of the sim community, including top simmers, the fragmentation will have major effects. Sims like LFS will suffer due to lack of leagues, and drivers.

So, while iRacing grows, the other sims may struggle. The main problem is iRacing's growth is dependent on the already existing sim community. That's where 99% of its sales are going to come from. I certainly can't see iracing, with it's pricing structure, being a noob friendly sim.

the main reason most of us are into sim racing is the LFS demo being free, and most sim software being so cheap and 100% accessible 100% of the time. You could practice ALL the time, and not worry about wasting money on a dumb subscription.

A noob to iRacing will soon get frustrated with a large learning curve and un-subscribe, though I doubt many will subscribe in the first place .

So if iRacing doesn't attract noob simmers, while at the same time destroying every other sim out there we could see a market slow down, and development of new sims with new ideas.

Of course iRacing, and it's community won't be affected and that's fine, and it's all ifs and buts!!I am just making this observation, and it's just business at the end of the day.

I know for sure I won't be recommending any people to sim racing if iRacing is the only populated one. It's just too pricey and pointless to justify me recommending to someone to make such an investment. Right now it's pretty easy. Get a wheel, graphics card (if needed) and LFS/netKar and your set....FOR LIFE!

But I have to admit iRacing would be just simulating reality - motorsport is exclusive and way too expensive anyway! I thought that was the advantage of sims - accessibility- I guess not anymore
Quote from Intrepid :snip

I hope this happens, something needs to give LFS a kick in the rear
Quote from danowat :something needs to give LFS a kick in the rear

can't disagree with that.
Quote from Intrepid :[...]
I certainly can't see iracing, with it's pricing structure, being a noob friendly sim.
[...]
A noob to iRacing will soon get frustrated with a large learning curve and un-subscribe, though I doubt many will subscribe in the first place .

So if iRacing doesn't attract noob simmers, while at the same time destroying every other sim out there we could see a market slow down, and development of new sims with new ideas.[...]

I think it's the complete opposite... It's whole management system, all the nursing players from starting of their software, setting their hardware to their whole way to aquire and drive faster, more exciting cars has only one purpose: to attract people new to the scene... I'd be surprised if iRacing wouldn't heavily advertise itself on racing events in America (which seems their primary target market) once it's fully rolled out... And as sinbad said, once you're in, you're stuck with it, either because of the already invested money or the commitment you have to make when you first rent...
Just a quick question. Regarding the bonus dollars that you get when subscribing to Iraing, is that a one of, or a constant bonus?
Quote from Electrik Kar :We won't know what the iRacing community is like until it becomes established though.

can you establish a community on a system that makes it near impossible to race with friends?
That may be the case. But from my experience people don't like to be nannied, and like the freedom to do it their way.

There's nothing inviting about having to pay for a demo of the game. You can't even try before you buy. Any race driver worth his salt would want to try it before investing any money into it. they'll also probably soon get frustrated with having to drive slow cars for however long you have to.

It's structure is there to help noobs, except it will probably have the oppostie effect,

All speculation of course, and at the very least iRacing has produce a decent phsyics model from what I hear. But IMO the market is no where NEAR developed enough,
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG