The online racing simulator
Oops, US Army agrees that Global warming may be caused by the Sun
Damn, I really wanted that money from carbon credits ......

Army: Sun, Not Man, Is Causing Climate Change (Updated)

By Noah Shachtman June 03, 2008 | 1:46:00 PMCategories: Science!

The Army is weighing in on the global warming debate, claiming that climate change is not entirely man-made. Instead, Dr. Bruce West, with the Army Research Office, argues that "changes in the earth’s average surface temperature are directly linked to ... the short-term statistical fluctuations in the Sun’s irradiance and the longer-term solar cycles."
In an advisory to bloggers entitled "Global Warming: Fact of Fiction [sic]," an Army public affairs official promoted a conference call with West about "the causes of global warming, and how it may not be caused by the common indicates [sic] some scientists and the media are indicating."
In the March, 2008 issue of Physics Today, West, the chief scientist of the Army Research Office's mathematical and information science directorate, wrote that "the Sun’s turbulent dynamics" are linked with the Earth's complex ecosystem. These connections are what is heating up the planet. "The Sun could account for as m ... h’s average temperature," West noted.
It's a position that puts West at odds with nearly every major scientific organization on the planet. "The American Meteorological Society, the American Geophysical Union, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science all have issued statements in recent years concluding that the evidence for human modification of climate is compelling," Science magazine observes. So has the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore, for their work on global warming. [UPDATE: West himself said during a Thu ... due to human intervention.]
so its 70% man made and 69% sun made, and this is the US armies head of mathematics?
Just suggesting that as temperatures are increasing on all the planets ( just google it ! ) then global warming just might be mainly due to solar activity.

Yes, we really need to cut pollution and dumping plastic waste etc, however this is NOT the cause of temperature increases !!!!
#4 - Lible
Probably he's right. Ice ages wasn't manmade, or do they say it was now?
There's probably no one single cause of global warming, but I doubt much of it (more than 20%) is man-made.
"Man-made" feels so accusational. I prefer the term "man-influenced". Or if you want to be overly PC; "person-influenced".
If people had studied something about environment instead of talking without proper knowledge, they would see that is true.:smash3d:

IMO Media is the worse teacher, take a book and teach yourself :bananadea
Quote from duke_toaster :I doubt much of it (more than 20%) is man-made.

Sound scientific approach you've got there.

Quote from Bob Smith :"Man-made" feels so accusational. I prefer the term "man-influenced". Or if you want to be overly PC; "person-influenced".

Or if not, "woman-influenced".
#9 - ajp71
Quote from duke_toaster :There's probably no one single cause of global warming, but I doubt much of it (more than 20%) is man-made.

I love the random guess work, think you have to beat the pro-climate change camp for total bullshit
well at least the americans now acknowledge that the sun exists

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a CNN announcement anytime soon, that the US Army wants to invade the sun, because it has WMD's
#12 - J.B.
Why does it matter if GW is man made or not? Shouldn't we be just as worried if the earth was warming up due to farting dolphins or whatever?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Or if not, "woman-influenced".

Well it is a fact, if it wasn't for women's "needs" we wouldn't have reached current levels of ability to pollute. It all started with "simple" things like "why can't we get a bigger cave like the bears on the other hill have?" and was shortly followed with "not tonight, I'm cold" and next thing you know we're breeding scientists who tell us that the sun makes us warm.
Quote from J.B. :Why does it matter if GW is man made or not? Shouldn't we be just as worried if the earth was warming up due to farting dolphins or whatever?

but imagine what it would mean if it was our fault... wed all have to sell our suvs leaving us inadequately equiped for our ego and without anything to make up for it
Quote from Shotglass :without anything to make up for it

Thank the Big Consumer in the sky for the existence of Apple then.
Quote from xaotik :Thank the Big Consumer in the sky for the existence of Apple then.

as in another women... or rather woman influenced catastrophy?
That's it...blame The Sun for everything!!! Why not blame the Mail or the Mirror??
Quote from Bladerunner :Why not blame the Mail or the Mirror??

That will only happen if someone sends them a letter to take a good look at themselves.

... sheesh, that was low - enough for today. Time out.
#19 - JJ72
Quote from Racer X NZ :claiming that climate change is not entirely man-made.

Oh....you need to be told about that?
i think the sun defintely has something to do with it. Considering the massive temps the sun gets to, it wouldnt take much to affect the temperature here on earth. A few thousand degrees c variation on the sun wouldnt be much up there, but it might be enough to make a few degrees difference down here when our climate temps around the world only differ by about 100deg c.
I'm pretty much convinced the sun is the culprit. I've had to wean myself off being a diehard AGW believer, it's taken many years, but I think I'm almost cured. I've got a hunch though that soon enough folks will be in panic mode about global cooling again. I can see it coming.

Be alert, not alarmed...?
It doesn't matter how much logic, money, or research goes into statastics, the mindless banter spouted by celebrates will always hold more weight because no one reads the news, only the gossip columns, as such people are being run over by Toyota Priuses and anyone who can't afford to buy a brand new tree hugging car is being taxed off the roads.
OMG I think we're finally in agreement about something racer X. The sun is a huge factor not to mention the ridiculous amount of bio-mass that dies and decays every day creating...what? CO2. The other day on the news they were talking about declining temperatures within the last year citing global cooling as the culprit. When is this going to end!?

When the earth freezes over these prius owners are going to wish they bought an AWD
I found something the other day which said that Nokia and Dell are the best companies for the enviroment and Motorola and Apple are the worst. Motorola and Apple also often seem the least reliable IMO. My two old Nokia phones (3330 and 3510i) I never had trouble with until the 3510i's battery started playing up. My Motorola L6 however is always crashing and being a nuisance. Even the camera is annoying. It somehow turns itself on and takes loads of pictures from inside your pocket.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG