The online racing simulator
9800 Pro URGENT Help
(6 posts, started )
9800 Pro URGENT Help
Hay all,

I was installing a 9800 Pro into my PC, and the little black Heatsink has fallen off. This heatsink is situated right near the power connector at the back of the card.

I have searched everywhere to try and find what this is, as I don't want to install the card if its important ( if not important, then why there ? )

Anybody tell me what this is

Thanks

Fordie
Here is a Picture. I have drawn a RED BOX around the bit.
Attached images
9800_pro.jpg
If they put a heatsink there in the first place, chances are that the part indeed needs some cooling. I'd just get one of those heat-pads, cut it to the right size and tuck that heatsink back on after cleaning it thoroughly.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
If your 9800 works its ok but..

If the electronic piece under the heatsink also has fallen off DONT TURN THE POWER ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made that mistake and burned all the memory chips. The reanimation of only that small piece is 5$.

This small chip contolls the power provided to memory chips so be careful.

Oh and I have seen some cards without that heatsink so I think it is not that urgent to have it. However you can use some heatpaste to glue it back on place yourself.
its the cooling for the cars voltage regulator (the reason why its near the power plug) and since almost all the power the card eats goes through this piece it will need some cooling

so get yourself some thermal glue clean away the leftovers from the old glue (careful when you do this on the chip) and put the heatsink back on
thanks guys for your comments, but its a RMA. 1 it should not of fallen off, and to well go back to one.

Still under warrenty, so RMA'ing it

Thanks Again

Fordie

9800 Pro URGENT Help
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG