The online racing simulator
Street legal race cars, need help.
(57 posts, started )
I was wondering where i would get rules to see what mods would be street legal and what would not. Im looking to buy a ford mustang GT V8 5 speed, 2000/2005 and i need to know where i can find the laws on some mods. I live in USA, Pennsylvania and All im really looking to do is lighten the car up, add racing seats and possible roll cage, etc.. so if anyone knows where i can find this info let me know.
I don't even need to look to know that all those things are legal. Altering the frame in any way to lighten it may not be. What do you want to use the car for that you need a roll cage? If its your daily driver I will let you in on a secret: girls don't like roll cages. They don't look sexy trying to do the monkey bar gymnastics to get in. Also it suggests possible rolling. Some tracks require one so it really just depends.

If you get the car from a dealership those things will most likely void your warranty, so ask them first.
No real reason i want to add it, just a car and racing enthusiest. although one day when i buy a new daily driver i am going to make it into a show car. I may add a bit more horsepower to it also, idk yet. but i just wanna know where i can find it incase i do do sumthin to it i shouldnt.
/facepalm
#5 - Lible
Quote from f4sttr@ck :No real reason i want to add it, just a car and racing enthusiest. although one day when i buy a new daily driver i am going to make it into a show car. I may add a bit more horsepower to it also, idk yet. but i just wanna know where i can find it incase i do do sumthin to it i shouldnt.

Don't get a rollcage for no reason. Laughing out loud.
#6 - ajp71
If you get a rollcage you will need full harnesses (and preferably proper racing seats) to use it safely on the road, if you do wish to drive a car with a rollcage on the road without helmets you need to be even more careful about ensuing that the rollcage itself can't become a danger. For road and occasional track use a partial roll bar in the back of the car (as some 911s and TVRs have as standard) and full harnesses would probably be the best compromise between safety on track, safety on the road and practicality, note that a rear only cage is very unlikely to meet safety regulations when a rollcage is required by regulations.
depends where you live.... in ireland its 500 hp. 4 point cage. atleast 4 mm of thread on your tyres.

im pretty sure theres more but i generally cant type much with a hang over...

any greater then 500, it bounces off the nct dyno and fails ( NCT = MoT in uk. )
They have inspection in the US?

Over here you can even fail for having a too pointy bumper..
Quote from theirishnoob :depends where you live.... in ireland its 500 hp. 4 point cage. atleast 4 mm of thread on your tyres.

any greater then 500, it bounces off the nct dyno and fails ( NCT = MoT in uk. )

That sounds like absolute bullshit to me, there is nothing about any dyno testing on the NCT website, and why they'd remove the engine to test it on a dyno is beyond me anyway.

You've obviously got confused with an engine dyno and the rolling roads they use which measure braking force not engine power.
Quote from theirishnoob :depends where you live.... in ireland its 500 hp. 4 point cage. atleast 4 mm of thread on your tyres.

Thats Bull the nct dont dyno the car they just put it on rollers to test the brakes the engine dosnt even have to be turned on the rollers are set to a force and if the brakes cant stop that force the car fails.
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
Quote from Luke.S :Doesn't that mean that a veyron would fail it's mot then?

No, because thebackwardsnoob was talking out of his rear end.

And I'm not deleting this post because you deleted yours Luke.
Quote from sgt.flippy :They have inspection in the US?

Over here you can even fail for having a too pointy bumper..

Depends on the state. In PA, we have state-wide safety inspections. Then, depending on what county you live in, you may or may not have emissions testing. Furthermore, the extent of the inspection depends on the age and yearly mileage of the car. Since I roll my odometer back each year, I am exempt from emissions testing (~$50 savings).

I should add that in Delaware, there is no inspection, except whenever the automobile changes ownership. Believe me, you see some scary stuff while driving through that state.
Quote from dj-fluxsa :Thats Bull the nct dont dyno the car they just put it on rollers to test the brakes the engine dosnt even have to be turned on the rollers are set to a force and if the brakes cant stop that force the car fails.

hmmm put min on and ran the b***** out of it like every car on the emissions test then done the same on the brakes test....

but still, most/every country has a power limit because you just cant allow Anyone to have a 1000+ hp car...
Quote from theirishnoob :hmmm put min on and ran the b***** out of it like every car on the emissions test then done the same on the brakes test....

What are you on? Do you even own a car? All the standard testing done in the UK, Ireland and the rest of Europe normally consists of is an emissions test at moderate revs and then a brake strength test.

Quote :
but still, most/every country has a power limit because you just cant allow Anyone to have a 1000+ hp car...

I am not aware of any country that has a power limit.
It's the fact not everyone can afford a 1000bhp+ car, and even if they did, you wouldn't be able to use all that power properly on the road. But that said, ANYONE could have a 1000bhp+ car if they could afford it.

I've not heard of any power limits either.
The only power limits I am aware of are when you're under 21 and getting a bike licence. There are no limits on how much horse power your car can put down. Period.

The Irish Noob is not only a noob, but he appears to be living up to many Irish stereotypes, he is a blithering idiot.
Again, like most of the time, the problem isn't really to buy or build a 1000 hp car, but to get it insured and put it on the street legally is a big problem.

And emission testing at moderate rpms? I don't think so, they just floor the pedal, the car goes into such high rpms I wouldn't trust to do on the road. But apparently a car should be clean enough in states it should never be in on the road.
Quote from PAracer :Since I roll my odometer back each year, I am exempt from emissions testing (~$50 savings).

Nothing like being illegal to save a measly $50? First you'll spend more than that with fuel easily, second do you realize the fines that could be slapped on you?

Quote from ajp71 :I am not aware of any country that has a power limit.

I know that there are at least some states over here have "On Road" power limits for being street-legal. If its an off-road vehicle then no power restrictions to you.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Again, like most of the time, the problem isn't really to buy or build a 1000 hp car, but to get it insured and put it on the street legally is a big problem.

And emission testing at moderate rpms? I don't think so, they just floor the pedal, the car goes into such high rpms I wouldn't trust to do on the road. But apparently a car should be clean enough in states it should never be in on the road.

Of course it depends on test station but just redlining a car is just a liability.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :The only power limits I am aware of are when you're under 21 and getting a bike licence. There are no limits on how much horse power your car can put down. Period.

Aren't they engine capacity limits, not power limits?
Quote from duke_toaster :Aren't they engine capacity limits, not power limits?

UK bike licenses can restrict on engine capacity, power output and power to weight ratio.
Quote from ajp71 :Of course it depends on test station but just redlining a car is just a liability.

I actually have heard of engines breaking down during the test. They don't redline it, but they go pretty hard with it.
Quote from sgt.flippy :I actually have heard of engines breaking down during the test. They don't redline it, but they go pretty hard with it.

I can't imagine it is more than 3/4 of the redline/safe revs for the engine.
Quote from ajp71 :I can't imagine it is more than 3/4 of the redline/safe revs for the engine.

Ten years ago 4000 rpm in my car was safe... Now (with a leaking dieselpump) I'm not to fond of it anymore

(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG