The online racing simulator
First Car
(537 posts, started )
best first car is a 1.3 corolla , cant be broken if driven normally well either that or a peugeot 106... i still have my serise 1 graduate model and it never miss's a hearthbeat
Parked on your drive it won't miss a beat.
I'd recommend a 106 as a first car - I had one as my first car, and am currently enjoying my 2nd They're cheap to buy - for £1k you will get a decent condition reasonable milage 1.1 late model, if you look about. Insurance is cheap, even for my 1.4 in the first year of driving its not exactly a killer (well, it would be if i still lived up north). Fuel economy is good..230 mile trip recently, about £20 fuel.

Downsides, parts do cost a couple of quid more than the equivlant fiesta bits, it does have a "french car" reputation, and its not an entirely un-deserved reputation. Noticed the alternator belts started slipping when the engines cold today, and for some reason the stereo goes on strike when the lights are on.
Toyota is impossible to destroy by driving, but luckily at least older of those does rot quite well. Only thing badly wrong in those (for cheap body transportation devices) is FWD, I just can't recommend such thing.

If we all stop buying fwd cars and mail to manufacturers about it, I'm sure we would start to see sensible cars again, but I guess that is not happening ?
Haha, The AA doesn't insure the Toyota Hilux, as according to the website there is no such vehicle.
I test drove a newish 106 1.1 and can safely say it was horrible, quickly walked away from that sale. No poke whatsoever and most of them look like they are crabbing across the road etc. Expensive too for what they are, unless you get a really old one.

You can still get a nice-ish spec small car, even if it doesn't have a big engine.

One car I would say was good fun was my mates (only 1.2) mk1 phase 3 clio (the last mk1s they made). Was SO chuckable in the corners, granted it didn't have much straight line speed, but could hold some through the corners.
Hmm, can't comment on the 1.1 engines really, both mine are 1.4's, which pull quite nicely, for what they are of course.

I always thought they're quite fun to drive - feels like a more refined 205. Very easy to make it do what you want - just chucking it around, or holding it on the balance of oversteer. Fun stuff.

The early clio's are nice, well thought out cars, but one thing to bear in mind is they're very uncomfortable if your tall - I'm not very comfortable in one (6ft5 tall).
Quote from Rtsbasic :Hmm, can't comment on the 1.1 engines really, both mine are 1.4's, which pull quite nicely, for what they are of course.

I always thought they're quite fun to drive - feels like a more refined 205. Very easy to make it do what you want - just chucking it around, or holding it on the balance of oversteer. Fun stuff.

The early clio's are nice, well thought out cars, but one thing to bear in mind is they're very uncomfortable if your tall - I'm not very comfortable in one (6ft5 tall).

I imagine the 1.4 is pretty nippy

True about the Clio (i'm 6ft3), moreover the clutch is possibly the most horrible clutch ever, its SO heavy up to a point, then just floats up. Wasn't just the particular car either, same in the second one he had.
Quote from DeKo :Just out of interest, if you tell the insurance that your are doing 5k, and they look at your mile counter when you crash and its over that, is the policy void straight away?

The insurance company will look for anything that can invalidate your insurance, simply re-painting your car and not telling them can leave you invalidated, despite the fact it wouldn't cost you if you notified them. Lots of people think they're getting away with undeclared mods/breaking terms little do they realise it's only worth an insurance company searching after you claim. I know someone who does work for insurance companies stripping written off cars and declaring anything that shouldn't have been there to them.
BUMP.

I have now *almost* finished the last 3 months of hell in which i've had no time, and now have some fre time! woot! I've decided to sell my bike broken as it'll sell for more than fixing it is worth.

I don't have much cash, so cheapness and reliability and low cost of running overall really is of essance - I don't care if it looks, goes or handles like shite.

So far, my "main choices" are (in no order):

Clio,
Fiesta,
Saxo,
Almera,
Corsa,
Punto
Polo,
Micra,
Mini (old one),
Nova.

Or, what my heart wants - the 106 Rallye, or the CRX. Or even a Volvo 360 :X

I don't like the idea of anything Italian or French as i'm worried about reliability, not just because I have little cash, but also because I really am about as useful with a spanner as Harjun is with overclocking :P

Once AGAIN I have the problem of living in the middle of nowhere - There ARE cars for sale round 'ere but as usual the selection isn't as varied as where most of you guys live.

Once again. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap!

The Nova is suprisingly looking a better option. Not quite sure if I like the idea of buying a car that my parents used to have when I was like 5 though :X (they cheap second hand to save cash on fuel, but seeing as it was something silly like 60p a litre they sold it and made a little profit...)

The other issues is insurance quotes - it seems like every time I get a quote it's expensive, yet other people (both on this forum and irl friends living nearby) get MUCH cheaper quotes. I'll post up the exact options I chose next time I get a quote...

I'll be turning 17 at the end of July, however i'm trying to also find the best way of passing my test etc. Can't imagine the theory will be hard (compared to my AS-Levels), but the exam worries me a bit. I've done *some* road driving on my bike, but only around 1,500 miles on fairly empty country roads.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Exactly. And i think that's where buying a car from eBay ain't such a good idea. I'm not certain of the rules, but i think you're committed to buy the car once you've won the auction, unless it has some glaring problem that wasn't mentioned in the initial listing. At least with Auto Trader Or Piston Heads you can go for test drives and kick a few tyres without any obligation to buy.

On eBay it's usually a dodgy buyer who buys first then see's the motor - usually the buyers telephone you, and then you come around and see it and THEN bid.

I bought my current bike of eBay actually...

Quote from beefyman666 :I know and we all know little Jack won't go for a Nova, even if it had a redtop in it or even if it was cheap to run maintain. Sorry to say but I think he would go for something more stylish (in his eyes), hell he even said so himself.

To make this point even clearer (after re-reading this thread and all the MX5, S14 comments etc...

A more attractive car would be nice, but if it costs a single penny more for getting the same thing i'll go for the ugly one. I really don't care about looks any more as long as it works, as i know full well i'll fall in love with it!
Quote from Bean0 :For policies with limited miles, I have known insurers request a copy of the MOT certificate (which states mileage). With the new computerised MOT system, they most likely have access to the data.

My current bike insurance is limited to x number of miles, but they never asked to know what the current mileage is, or any proof of the MOT etc...
I knew you'd see sense in the end Jack. What I said then was right really as you seemed adoment(sp?) on having a really flash first car.

Get a car you know you can get cheap parts for (Ford, Vauxhall) and one with a fairly economical engine, as you know, fuel isn't cheap these days. So you want as much bang for your buck.

Fiesta's and Nova's can be got very cheap these days, and not exactly difficult to repair the basics. I'm sure your parents wouldn't mind taking you a little out of the way if you find a good bargain. And if you do come across a cheap one, take someone with you who knows something about cars. Sometimes a bargain can be too good to be true.

Keep your eyes peeled in Auto Trader and Ad Trader or similar things.

Good luck Jack, there will be a little car with your name on it somewhere.
Jack, give me a budget and i WILL sort you out little man...

If your not bothered about buying a write off with no damage, value for money, newer, profit when selling it. All good options IMO
I'd go for the 106, not only are they tidy looking little cars, they're one of the best handling cars in that size. Bloody cheap to run as well, 100 miles to a tenner (back in oct/nov, so fuel prices weren't so bad) on a 1.4 that would also cover 0-60 in 9 secs? On £50 a month insurance as a 1st car. Had only spent around £150 on mechanical bits by that point as well.

Not to mention..my 1st 106, I picked up, for £87. When I broke it up, I made more than that back from the rallye interior someone had stuck in there before I got it. A mate of mine paid £110 or so for another one, low milage, long mot/tax, had all the options like remote locking etc, only fault was the rear window had been replaced with a plastic one If you went for one though, do pick up some XSi or rallye seats for it, the normal ones will land your arse on the floor just pulling out a junction. Such fun little things to throw around, you don't really worry about what the front tyres are doing, you just try to keep the back end swinging the way you need it to and enjoy the ride. Feels very much like a successor to the old 205 GTi in that sense. The steering is brilliantly direct as well compared to my Focus.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :If your not bothered about buying a write off with no damage, value for money, newer, profit when selling it. All good options IMO

a write off with no damage? what?
I would go for the Almera.
Quote from Jakg :BUMP.

I have now *almost* finished the last 3 months of hell in which i've had no time, and now have some fre time! woot! I've decided to sell my bike broken as it'll sell for more than fixing it is worth.

I don't have much cash, so cheapness and reliability and low cost of running overall really is of essance - I don't care if it looks, goes or handles like shite.

So far, my "main choices" are (in no order):

Clio,
Fiesta,
Saxo,
Almera,
Corsa,
Punto
Polo,
Micra,
Mini (old one),
Nova.

Or, what my heart wants - the 106 Rallye, or the CRX. Or even a Volvo 360 :X

You'll be limited by insurance quotes, if you want something that'll be fun to drive with good dynamics without any sporty image attached to it. Before you buy a car though think how much you'll need it, will you use need to use it on a daily basis and are you going to want a car after finishing college? If you don't need to use the car on a daily basis then consider adding yourself as a named driver on one of your parents cars, it could reduce your cost significantly and although you won't build up a conventional no claims bonus some companies will give you credit for being a named driver when you take out a full insurance policy with them.

Quote :
I'll be turning 17 at the end of July, however i'm trying to also find the best way of passing my test etc. Can't imagine the theory will be hard (compared to my AS-Levels), but the exam worries me a bit. I've done *some* road driving on my bike, but only around 1,500 miles on fairly empty country roads.

Best thing to do is find a decent private instructor, there's usually little price difference with the major driving schools but you should be able to find someone who is far more competent and flexible about what to cover in lessons, reducing the time needed to take your test. Presumably you know how to operate a car and have a little bit of basic experience on roads from your bike, in which case I'd jump straight into having a lesson once a week and complement it with as many hours as possible driving around the place in your own car.

Quote :My current bike insurance is limited to x number of miles, but they never asked to know what the current mileage is, or any proof of the MOT etc...

Insurance companies won't go to lengths to find you, likewise with modifications they don't care until they've got a claim at which point they examine vehicles and will invalidate the policy on anything untoward. If you're driving with invalidated insurance you may as well save the money and not insure your car in the first place.

Quote from Jakg :a write off with no damage? what?

I think he's meaning a repaired write off. I would avoid them at all cost unless you know and trust who did the work and are capable of examining repair work yourself.
I am still pretty fond of the fiesta idea. Probably because I own one myself. At my garage there is one for sale for 250 euros. He just can't find anyone to buy it off him, there's nothing wrong with it (except for the bits of rust every fiesta has), it only has 130 000 kilometers, which is pretty low for a 14 year old car.
Quote from ajp71 :Insurance companies won't go to lengths to find you, likewise with modifications they don't care until they've got a claim at which point they examine vehicles and will invalidate the policy on anything untoward. If you're driving with invalidated insurance you may as well save the money and not insure your car in the first place.

Just to point out - i'm being legit here. My bike is insured up to 4,000 Miles a year (I think), and if it went over I would contact the insurance. I would also not do any "modz" and then not declare them (although I wouldn't do any in the first place!).

Thanks for your help.

The car would be used daily, however my parents use their cars all the time at odd hours so I couldn't be added on their insurance.
Quote from Alistair :hey
ill have you know that one of these http://www.3jar.com/fiat/images/124ac.jpg(fiat 124ac coupe) is part my inheritence .
fiats are good cars 124 spider abath, 131 abath. also fiat own alfa, lancia, maserati and ferrari

Go home.

I very much doubt Jack is going to get an old Fiat. A Punto on the other hand would be in his 'league' but I still wouldn't recommend one.
ill have you know that one of these http://www.3jar.com/fiat/images/124ac.jpg(fiat 124ac coupe) is part my inheritence .
fiats are good cars 124 spider abath, 131 abath. also fiat own alfa, lancia, maserati and ferrari

Shouldn't a big fan like you not at least spell AbaRth correctly?

Of course they're practical starter cars...

Fiat earned its reputation following a generation of rust buckets made out of the cheap steel Russia gave to Fiat to pay for the 124 design. Jakg is unlikely to be look for a car that old either TBH. Fiat haven't produced anything particularly noticeably good or bad in recent times and the Punto is just another insignificant small car.
No matter what you buy as a first car, you'll be paying out of your arse for it because you're male, under 25, and a student, that alone added £500 to my quotes.
Get a 306 meridian!

Seriously though, a 1.4 is'nt expensive to insure. I've not insured mine yet as its kept in the garage all the time as its having an engine rebuild, but i've done quotes and the cheapest i have got so far is £1035 a year, with the car kept in the garage. I cant remember whether thats fully comp or comprehensive though so i'll have to check.

There smart looking cars too, but are also very roomy. The acceleration is good on them too. 0-60mph in about 10 seconds.
There cheap to buy (mine WAS £2500 before the guy blew up the engine. Negotiated £1000 to buy it with a blown engine...BARGAIN!) and there also reliable. The only reason the engine went on this was because the previous owner never changed the cambelt and it had 50k miles on it. The standards belts are known to go around then, and obviously, his went on the night i was going to pick it up with my dad, so it bent all the valves inside and knackered it up.

Overall, its a really nice car, it looks the dog's bollocks but its also very roomy. Plus, if you go for the meridian, it has good spec, like electric windows all round, and sunroof, heated mirrors, half leather interior and more! If you DO decide to research about these, go for the newer Phase 3, as it has more refined engines and has better spec. It may also be worth doing a quote on the 1.9D phase 2 or 2.0HDi phase 3, as these are cheap on insurance too.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=74

P.S, a little tip about insurance quotes. Put your dad or mum down as a named driver. Putting them down on mine insurance for the M3 and pug brought it down a fair bit.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :
P.S, a little tip about insurance quotes. Put your dad or mum down as a named driver. Putting them down on mine insurance for the M3 and pug brought it down a fair bit.

You've got insurance on an M3 at 17?

First Car
(537 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG