The online racing simulator
My real life Live for speed experience
This saturday i took my stock Ford Focus to a trackday at Mantorp Park here in Sweden.

We have all driven the slower/standard cars in LFS, but what would it feel like in real life you may wonder.

I have tried it. And loved it.

And my compliments to the devs. Driving the Focus was just like in LFS. I never felt uneasy or nervous. Everything the car did was as i expected and tried in the sim. It was so easy to drive the car on the limit (with constant tire screaching ) and only one or two late braking manouvers was a bit hairy. As in the sim.

I dont have any pics of the car on the track yet, but the magazine Auto Motor & Sport in sweden will publish them soon.

Lap time? Well no lap times was recorded officially, but my friend clocked me at 1,53. A golf GTI was doing 1,49 and the faster Porches was at 1,40. STCC goes around in 1,20...

#2 - evans
Always great to hear when people have been able to use LFS experience in real life
I've tried it a bit the other way around. First the Formula BMW in Valencia and then in LFS one year later
Surprised to see so many vettes in that picture. I didn't think they were popular in other countries. I think I've been watching too much Top Gear Nice lambo behind you too..
Quote from Technique :Surprised to see so many vettes in that picture. I didn't think they were popular in other countries. I think I've been watching too much Top Gear Nice lambo behind you too..

yeah everyone loves them, they are cheap, handle well, and boatloads of power. Shame they flex more than a bodybuilder showing off their muscles... if only they had remembered that unibodies cannot really handle that much power without twisting...

I do enjoy vette's rumour has it the Viper is going to be mothballed.
Nice =) can't beat it =)

Nice to hear that you relate LFS to RL too. It's not perfect, but IMO the basics are there.
i agree with this thread, i've started amatuer racing this year and it has helped me loads i actually came 2nd in my second ever RL event, in terms of racecraft it lfs can teach you alot!
haha, it's not just a Focus, it's a Focus estate...

Racey..
Quote from Crashgate3 :haha, it's not just a Focus, it's a Focus estate...

Racey..

You would not volunteer that info either
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :You would not volunteer that info either

I got som memorable reactions from the people there when they looked at my car .

The editor in chief said -"you are driving what?"

I got a drive in a Nissan 350Z with STCC-winner Thed Björk. He asked me about my car, and his reaction to my answer was:"....perfect...eehh...".

But the difference between an estate and other versions is very small IMO. I took out all the weight i could from the back, and the car was very well balanced. Just a tad understeer if you pushed to hard. As expected.
But i could actually make the go to oversteer just by coming of the gas pedal in the middle of the corner. At Mantorp turn 2 and 3 is almost one corner. But to make the car turn in at turn 3 i pushed hard out of turn 2 and when i lifted the right foot just before turn 3 the car came round nicely.

And at the end of the day i actually got some compliments for my driving. "you are driving that car pretty hard.."
Hey guys, nice to see a couple people talking real life racing.

I race in the South African production car championship. I race a Nissan 350Z for the SAM racing Dealer Team.

I raced a shelbycanam sports car last year and won the South African championship and im taking a bit of time getting used the "tin top" racing with all the Body roll...

Anywayz, i have been playing LFS for a month or so, and even tho, ive been doing most of my laps in the XFG (CTRA race 1). I thought i might be doing the wrong thing (FWD vs RWD) by racing the XFG the week before our 4th national, but i didnt struggle at all.

It definitely helped keep my eye in and i felt on it from lap 1, session 1!

Good show, love the game!!!
Heh, that second pic has elements in it which are very Blackwood.. the wind generator and the white/blue barriers...
Can you upload a replay?
Quote from Electrik Kar :Heh, that second pic has elements in it which are very Blackwood.. the wind generator and the white/blue barriers...

Yep, i noticed that.

Quote from Dajmin :Can you upload a replay?

I dont know how to save replays :insane:
I make good use of my LFS in real life too

Evo VI FTW
I've always been very attracted to racing and cars in general. My first car will be an MX-5, of that I'm sure. But my student economy won't allow it. (well, technically I guess I could find a way, but I have absolutely no use for a car in my everyday life, so for now I manage to restrain myself). For now LFS provides my "speed fix".
When i drive or race with my dune buggy it feels very close up to Live For Speed, except centrifugal force affect on my body. Car balancing is the same. Only one thing about i'm thinking every time when i drive with my car is road adherence and car respond on wheel skidding. In real life car has more grip than in LFS and on each car reprove it did it with much more grip and reprove speed than in Live For Speed.

I think one thing what is different between Live For Speed and real life is that all happens faster in real life. You need to react much faster and work with your wheel more intensive.
If i drive Slalom with the Mazda 2 it doesnt feel exactly like LFS but it is compareable

Upload your Setup
#20 - Jakg
Quote from PioneerLv :In real life car has more grip than in LFS and on each car reprove it did it with much more grip and reprove speed than in Live For Speed.

Actually on the road cars they have MORE grip than in real life. It's just the detachment you get without G-forces that's the issue.
G-force is all what we need. Physically impossible. :sadbanana
#22 - JJ72
One of the things I realize after pausing LFS for a while is how hard we all drive in the sim, in real life you never do such thing in a road car, first you rarely have the equipment and conditions in real life to push for the ultimate limit, and second there's just too much a price to pay if you stuff it up.

Another thing is the road super tires give enormous grip if you put proper load on it, I had quite a hard time adjusting to how hot I should enter a turn, the grip just seem to keep coming, however it's a real fine line between having the grip and losing it.
Quote from Jakg :Actually on the road cars they have MORE grip than in real life. It's just the detachment you get without G-forces that's the issue.

My thoughts to.
When you feel a bit slippery in LFS, check the speedo and wonder what it would be like in real life...
Quote from FredrikB :My thoughts to.
When you feel a bit slippery in LFS, check the speedo and wonder what it would be like in real life...

Me thinks same.
Ford Focus is a great handling FWD car, one of the best in it's class for handling. I never knew people actualy brought them LFS t'shirts :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG