The online racing simulator
4wd Fz50?
(109 posts, started )
Quote from DragonCommando :What is it with people and thinking that if you race a rotary it will blow up or leak oil?
just look at this

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= ... x5Rj8&feature=related

the 787b won the le mans 24hr, and didn't blow up OR leak oil. They banned it after because of "unfair weight advantages". I think they just banned it because they where afraid it would win again.

A rotary is smaller, lighter, and produces less vibration than even the best piston type engine. and you can get a good amount of power out of them to. I've seen 2 rotor engines putting out 300+ HP.

It would also add some variation to the engine types that LFS can simulate, simulating a rotary would be a huge addition to LFS's engine models.

Just listen to the thing run, no other engine type sounds quite like it
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= ... afw3g&feature=related

Just to clear it all up, let me clarify that well designed, built and maintained rotary is just as and sometimes even more reliable than their piston engined equivalents, especially when revved high a lot. Lack of vibration certainly helps a lot. It is just that the way that lubrication works in rotaries mean that they need to consume significantly more oil. That's all.

And I'm just trying to give everyone an idea how high society snobs are like. From their point of view, the average person is worth than their daily spending money. Motor oil? DISGUSTING!

However, let me stress that a rotary for the FZ series might be a good thing if you ignore the minor inconvenience of needing to top up a liter of oil every thousand or 2 ks. Lighter engine at the back means more balanced weight distribution, which certainly wouldn't hurt.
An LFS rotary engine should go in a nimble roadster or pure sports car like the RX7.
Quote from Breizh :An LFS rotary engine should go in a nimble roadster or pure sports car like the RX7.

Great idea and it's been done quite a few times, but that's not the issue here.
There's not much sense in putting a light and compact engine like a rotary in almost anything else. Not only would it be redundant to put it in a frame like the FZ's, it wouldn't be as fun.
Quote from Breizh :There's not much sense in putting a light and compact engine like a rotary in almost anything else. Not only would it be redundant to put it in a frame like the FZ's, it wouldn't be as fun.

And why not? Your post made absolutely no sense, if you put an engine that can rev high, sound beautifu, and perform differently than a Inline or V, then why not have it?
I'd like a de-tuned specced up version of the fz5 something like the fz3 btw i always thought the fz5 was a 350z with a weight reduction pack.
4WD FZ5? Sounds silly to me, no way! What's next? 4WD XRT?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :4WD FZ5? Sounds silly to me, no way! What's next? 4WD XRT?

FYI Mitsubishi actually built a 4WD rally version of the Mitsubishi Starion. But as rally rules changed, economics, etc. came into the equation, it was dropped.

Imagine if such a potential monster actually came to be and resulted in production cars as popular as the current Lancer Evolutions. Mitsubishi Starion Evolution, 320hp and 400Nm OEM, SAWD system, mass with 85kg driver and full fuel load (100Liters) under 1500kg, mass distribution 52/48 F/R. If that's no fun, then you're no car guy. Case closed.

And whoever says that the 997 turbo S or equivalent/better isn't fast and fun to drive really need to have his head examined.

Quote from khoianh94 :4WD UF1.

If it was no more than 100kg heavier but with a 180hp 1.8L turbo, RB4 style 4WD system, 100mm longer wheelbase, 50mm wider track, 205 width tires and no less than 125mm of maximum potential suspension travel (with quality spring/damper sets to suit), it'll eat current RB4s for breakfast on anything that's remotely technical.

Now please, back on topic.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :4WD FZ5? Sounds silly to me, no way! What's next? 4WD XRT?

Two-word argument? Sounds silly to me. What's next? One word?
Quote from Ca18Slider :And why not? Your post made absolutely no sense, if you put an engine that can rev high, sound beautifu, and perform differently than a Inline or V, then why not have it?

Short bus huh? From the start:
Quote :However, let me stress that a rotary for the FZ series might be a good thing if you ignore the minor inconvenience of needing to top up a liter of oil every thousand or 2 ks. Lighter engine at the back means more balanced weight distribution, which certainly wouldn't hurt.

1) LFS has a small enough car-set that a duplicate car different only by its engine would be redundant, a waste of development resources..
2) Even more so if the engine doesn't even fit the car
3) Because the rotary is a light and compact engine, best fitting to a lightweight frame.. It doesn't have enough torque to work in the FZ setup, which would have to be really different to still have the dynamics it has (rear weight bias and throttle behavior synergy). So it would be a wasted opportunity to have a rotary in a fitting platform, rather than bootstrapped to a mismatch.
4) And there's no maintenance modeling in LFS. So oil doesn't even warrant mention.

Why not put a viper engine in the back of the FZ, just because it "can rev high, sound beautifu, and perform differently than a Inline or V" ?

On topic: A 4WD and/or turbo FZ would be fun.. But not as fun as a new model.. And where would a 4/T-FZ fit anyway? It'd be a pretty tight fit, borderline redundant. The only use worth the expense in dev resources would be to bring the FZ range (FZ5+FZT/FZ4wd) up to LX6 pace on the tracks we're it's presently left in the dust. Why not just have an altogether new car? We still don't have a big sports sedan, or muscle car, or prototype, or exotic supercar (700-800hp road legal sorta stuff), or a number of other types as listed in past threads dealing with this..
Well a turbo version could be in the supercar region (GT2 style). Not exactly pure supercar but it'd be close.
+1 for the turbo version
The FZ5 needs a v6 in my eyes. The V6 with about 200-300bhp would suit that car.
Fz5 with engine in front ! That will pwn
Come on guys.. It's a porsche. A rear-engined flat-6, with the specific character that's made the porsche 911 type a staple of sunday B-road addicts and motorsports.. A 'front engined fz' wouldn't be an fz, not anymore than by name. It'd be more like a Maranello or something.
After all these engine debates, I'm still sticking to my camless flat-6 VGT. At least until I find something absolutely superior and viable in every way that matters.

A 500+hp FZ type car would be amazing with 4WD set on 30/70 F/R and just a bit of overall downforce for high speed handling and stability.
Quote from March Hare :Someone has been watching Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome...

+1 for FZT

/offtopic

"I’ve recently finished my latest personal project. It is one of those bigger and I started to work on it in January 2008. It was shortly after I’ve seen Mad Max trilogy again. I love those fallout vehicles in the movie and I remember like I loved them when I was just a kid so I’ve decided to make at least my own one."

+2 for FZT

/offtopic continues

Wow, was looking for Marek Denko artworks, and saw one thing.

Look at this:
http://marekdenko.net/?page_id=22
and..
Look at the lfs postcards:
http://www.lfsshop.com/?page=catalogue
Look at the fzr postcard, NOTICE the female!
Marek Denko artworks in that

Didn't post a new thread because this isn't so big thing, but it's still funny that I found that pic by looking for that mad max car render creators website.
Imho, if we really would get a more powerful FZ5 I'd like to see it rear wheel drive as well. Somewhere between 500 and 600 is good for me

It would also need a mid-engine competitor, like a Ferrari F40 AND McLaren F1 AND Maserati MC12. And a front engine competitor like Corvette Z06 AND Dodge Viper GTS.

Naturally a smaller supercar class would be nice with cars like Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, TVR Sagaris, Ferrari F430, BMW M3 and ...

As for rotary (wankel) engine, maybe one for a prototype...

Here's a good list: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=254973#post254973
that'd be awsome!
Quote from Hyperactive :Imho, if we really would get a more powerful FZ5 I'd like to see it rear wheel drive as well. Somewhere between 500 and 600 is good for me

It would also need a mid-engine competitor, like a Ferrari F40 AND McLaren F1 AND Maserati MC12. And a front engine competitor like Corvette Z06 AND Dodge Viper GTS.

Naturally a smaller supercar class would be nice with cars like Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, TVR Sagaris, Ferrari F430, BMW M3 and ...

As for rotary (wankel) engine, maybe one for a prototype...

Here's a good list: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=254973#post254973

Now we're talkin..
Here is a design idea for the FZT:
[attach]57248[/attach]
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Here is a design idea for the FZT:
[ATTACH]57248[/ATTACH]

An air intake like the real 911T is missing...

4wd Fz50?
(109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG