The online racing simulator
Just ran Y20, (as a separate install from patch Y), and set the AA and AF settings to max. All seems to work fine but .... then I switched back to Patch Y, the AA settings (and presumably the AF), are still applied, even though before running patch Y20 there was no AA.

Even restarting the computer doesn't get Patch Y back without AA. Even resetting my global driver settings in the nvidia control panel doesn't restore the AA back to default in patch Y either.

How can this be? Makes me a little concerned about how LFS has altered my graphics drivers.

Running Vista Home Premium with 1175.16 WHQL drivers

Edit - Even setting the AA and AF back to none in patch Y20 doesn't turn them off, (either for Y20 or Y) !!

Totally different issue.

The mapped buttons in my Wheel profiler don't work in Patch Y20. If I start the profiler then start patch Y seperately, (ie not from the profiler), everything works fine. If I do exactly the same thing and run Y20 the buttons I've mapped to shift+P, Shift+J, Shift+R and Shift+S don't work. I haven't checked all the buttons but it would seem only the wheel, pedals and gear shift paddles are working, (as these are directly mapped in the controller options in LFS). So looks like Y20 is not talking to the wheel profiler software maybe?
When I change my AA and AF settings, nothing happens really.. I have Radeon X550/600 series on Omega drivers. Or should I restart the game first? The screen goes black for a moment though, but nothing changes. That's patch Y19 btw, I'll test for Y20 tomorrow.
Quote from Scawen :that cannot be done without significant changes and there is no time for that before Patch Z.

It does not compare with the other priority tasks I still have to do.

I recommend to not worry about time, i mean dont put release day on your calendar.
I've spent the entire evening working through MPRs with Y20. I haven't hit a single hang or barf all evening, and I've been able to get so much more done than I ever would have been able to before in that time. Just wanted to register a thank you, Scawen.. fantastic work!
thanks for step to a point in replays and step backward in replays. Thats great. Long time i want this. In Y20 is it really useable.
a couple of pages late but can i just say

HAHAHA "more sophisticated colours"

i need another wine. great work on the everything as usual please feel encouraged despite the "sophisticated aesthetic critique" being "offered"
how far away are instant replays? (Single player)
Not that I want to pressure the devs, but I think it's kinda possible with these new replay developments..

for example:

Player presses the replay button, the replay plays like a normal replay.

Ofcourse you will have to 'restore' the game when you want to resume, but isn't that possible by fast forwarding the replay to the last frame and 'throwing' the player back into the car?

Anyway, nothing important. Just something I was thinking of..

An actual report of something strange:
The GTR's can't seem to pit on the south city town course. They all crash into the wall just before the entry of the pits. I haven't tested this with other cars or tracks. But I suppose it has something to do with their speed and number of cars? (12 AI cars) I have attached a little picture to clarify things.
I'm using patch Y20, but I don't think this has anything to do with a certain patch..
Attached images
pit.gif
actually since im using the test patch and am therefore a tester, i will act like a tester and provide some sort of feedback:

i am getting unplayable framerates
let me explain: on wednesday night i raced in the AAL and got-r-done well - large absentee count meant very good, solid framerates, and super happy funtime.

on thursday i downloaded y18 or y19, cant recall which, to try out the replay additions on the MPRs saved last night. i noted the framerates ranged from kinda gritty to heffalumps galore [9fps] which didnt make sense.

today i got y20, hoping it would fix it, but i still have framerates as low as 6 / second. i went online with about 10 others just now and it was so bad i got laughed at by DRIFTERS.

the shame is unbearable. AA and AF are OFF in LFS and in the drivers. theres no obvious system hogg processes running. the computer has been freshly turned on.

specs: 9800 Pro, catalyst 5.7, a gig of ram, athlon XP @ 10x200mhz, 1152x864x32bit.

is it normal to get worse framerates with these patches?
Quote from -V-Max- :how far away are instant replays? (Single player)

Not too close, I think. To have instant replays, LFS needs to save the full game state, so it can resume when you finish looking at the replay. This is the same as the "keyframe" issue that Scawen talks about in post #30.
In singleplayer it should be possible with a temporary replay file played with game in paused state??
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :In singleplayer it should be possible with a temporary replay file played with game in paused state??

yeah, exactly what I wanted to type in my first post. But isn't a replay a total game state? But pausing the game, keeping al the 'data', playing the replay and putting the data back, is also a possibility.

Anyway, I think that it's on Scawen list an he'll come to it whenever he finds the time..
Thanks for the latest test patch! The improvements are fantastic!
@-V-Max-:
No, a single player replay basically only contains the driver inputs (steering, throttle, brake, etc.) and uses them to re-"play" the whole race. The whole simulation is run again, no absolute car positions are used for the replay. That's also the reason old replays don't work with newer physics incompatible versions, because the same inputs have a different result if the physics change. Pausing the game doesn't have any effect whatsoever, other that stopping the main simulation loop. To reach a certain point in the replay, all you can do is to run the simulation as fast as possible, which while surprisingly fast is still too slow for comfortable replay viewing.

Multi player replays are much easier to fast forward, because of the way the multi player mode works. The clients are constantly sending position packets, with the car physics running only inbetween those packets but are updated as soon as a new packet arrives. In MPRs you can simply fast forward through the packets without physics calculations, since all the calculations prior to receiving a new packet are irrelevant anyway.
Quote from Flame CZE :Bug:
1) play MPR replay
2) pause it in any position
3) press SHIFT+U and set Follow car to Yes
4) move the replay slider to any position after the position it is, so move it to the right
Result: some textures will not show

When you move to the left instead to the right, it is OK.
When you don't pause the game (you don't do 2)), it is OK.
It seems to not happen in SPR.

I got the same in Y20, some textures disappear, but as soon as I unpause all textures appear, so I don't see the real problem? It's impossible to be precise anyway when fast forwarding, you always need to tweak the position little more after that and by then all textures will be there for screenshot.

But if it's an easy fix, why not.
Thank you so much guys, truely amazing work, absolutly love the new menu, and the roundish corners on the buttons; these small things make all the differance, and i got my 8800 GT today, LFS has never looked and felt better.
Thanks michael

Edit: on a clean lfs install, i get about 150-180 fps with all settings full and 16x AA and 16x AF in nvidia control panal, but with my original lfs install, it locks at 75fps with the same settings, i don't have limit frame rate ticked, and i don't think i have any high res road packs or anything, i have high res interior packs, suits textures etc, but i don't think that they would cause such a dramatic frame rate drop.
any help much appreciated.
also, im using the latest test patch Y19 i think

Thanks Michael
Quote from i_MAXIBON :a couple of pages late but can i just say

HAHAHA "more sophisticated colours"

i need another wine. great work on the everything as usual please feel encouraged despite the "sophisticated aesthetic critique" being "offered"

The day I insult your point of view on aesthetics, (or anything else for that matter), is the day you have the right to insult mine.
Quote from i_MAXIBON :actually since im using the test patch and am therefore a tester, i will act like a tester and provide some sort of feedback:

i am getting unplayable framerates
let me explain: on wednesday night i raced in the AAL and got-r-done well - large absentee count meant very good, solid framerates, and super happy funtime.

on thursday i downloaded y18 or y19, cant recall which, to try out the replay additions on the MPRs saved last night. i noted the framerates ranged from kinda gritty to heffalumps galore [9fps] which didnt make sense.

today i got y20, hoping it would fix it, but i still have framerates as low as 6 / second. i went online with about 10 others just now and it was so bad i got laughed at by DRIFTERS.

the shame is unbearable. AA and AF are OFF in LFS and in the drivers. theres no obvious system hogg processes running. the computer has been freshly turned on.

specs: 9800 Pro, catalyst 5.7, a gig of ram, athlon XP @ 10x200mhz, 1152x864x32bit.

is it normal to get worse framerates with these patches?

i think the best way for you to discover, is installing a clean copy of Y version and trying with the test patches.
I haven't noticed any change in FPS here, running my Radeon 9800 PRO. I have the AA/AF set to "application controlled" in the ATI panel, and set to full in-game. All graphics settings maxed out. Almost exact same FPS (actually it dropped around 2-5) as with Y, around 50FPS in normal circumstances, but ranging from 20 up to 140...

Intel Pentium 4 2.60Ghz
3GB RAM

But I use Omega drivers, I don't know if that would have much of an effect
thanks giise. i figgered it out, it was of course my computer saying "no" and not lfs at all. dxdiag listed my cpu as 1.0ghz. i have a multiplier-unlocked early-batch AMD barton cpu and an nf-7s board, both of which are fairly old now. when i disconnect the power and let the psu discharge, the hardware will configure itself at boot as a 3200+ [200.0mhz x 11], though its actually rated at 2500+ [166.6mhz x 11], load up windows and then start spitting out errors. the actual fsb and multiplier i set in the bios dont change, it just seems to ignore them and super-size itself, so i have to reboot and choose NEW figures, reboot with THOSE and then change it back to 200mhz x 10. then it boots up and everything is fine. untill i disconnect the power, of course.

but it always overclocks itself. this is the first time its underclocked itself, and the first time its done it WITHOUT the power disconnected. i should replace the bios battery shouldn't i?

regarding disinterested aesthetic contemplation, 1: yes i can you see if i dont and 2: especially if you started it anyway
#271 - xt
Quote from i_MAXIBON :...
i should replace the bios battery shouldn't i?

Yes you should do that.
the menu looks awsome. very good testpatch
Patch Y19 killed my gfx card. I installed patch Y19, deactived driver controlled AA and AF and started LFS. I started a standard race at blackwood and while racing i changed AA and AF. After i switched both of them to 4x and 16x i got a black screen after 2 seconds. This was the end of my gfx card. Ok calm down, i just don't think that LFS is able to kill any gfx card but i just wanted to mention it if there is just a slight possibility that i won't be the only one. It was a Nvidia geforce 6600 GT with an old 4x.xx Forceware driver.

Greets,
Warper
Great Patch! Just a few small suggestions that I believe wouldn't be too much work but would make the replay controls nicer and more polished:

-When clicking on the time line the current screen should just freeze instead of going black.

-The forward scrolling thingy while you are rewinding seems kind of unpleasant since it's going in the opposite direction of where you want to go. I think just waiting, without graphical representation of LFS starting from the beginning, would be better.

-Holding down shift and tapping "," three times should jump back 15 seconds instead of just 5.

-how about alt + <> for jumping back and forth by about 1 lap?
when i click , to go back a frame, it goes black for a few moments then moves back the frame, it would be better if it was like clicking . to go forward a frame, smooth and not the screen going black.

@ J.B: demo racer with avatar, few and far between, you must have been here a while
This thread is closed

Test Patch Y19 (and Y20) Replay Controls
(417 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG