The online racing simulator
Random .exe Crashes
(30 posts, started )
Random .exe Crashes
So, Maybe I'm in a race, or maybe I finally get a slot reserved to join a CTRA race, and then randomly, on any track, my game crashes, I just want to know what I could change that might stop it from happening, I don't think it's my graphics settings, or sound, it just does one of those 'send error report' 'don't send' boxes, and it's highly annoying when I am leading a race or something.

Thanks in Advance.
Quote from BlueFlame :So, Maybe I'm in a race, or maybe I finally get a slot reserved to join a CTRA race, and then randomly, on any track, my game crashes, I just want to know what I could change that might stop it from happening, I don't think it's my graphics settings, or sound, it just does one of those 'send error report' 'don't send' boxes, and it's highly annoying when I am leading a race or something.

Thanks in Advance.

happend to me sometimes before.
I was in a event and it happend
The usuals - Did you try another LFS install? Does it happen on more than one server? Does it happen online and offline? Does it only happen in-race?
#4 - Jakg
Does the same thing happen to another install of LFS or any other games?
#5 - ORION
try to run prime95 for a while and see if your hardware is still working 100% rock solid
It tends to happen with more cars on a grid, and I don't think it happens offline, I haven't tried another LFS install long enough to find out if it crashes, sometimes the crashes are so random, i can finnish one race, start the next get to the end half and it will crash again. It does happen with other games too, but the way LFS does it, it's like something happens on Track that it can't handle, or perform, and it's just a matter of time, before this event happens so my game crashes, if you understand what I am saying.
Sometimes I lose connection when ontrack at a big server (TC Montana when full for example) but that is down to poor internet and it is something else entirely.
I understand what you're saying.

In my experience, LFS is very stable and does not crash for me. Well, it hasn't since the last official update, not that it crashed with any frequency before that. Maybe once or twice a year... hmm.. at most.

You say other games crash too, sometimes. But there is something in the way LFS does it that suggests to you... what? I tell you, LFS handles anything that happens on track without crashing.

I would tend to doubt the hardware in your computer, especially if you have other games crash as well. Overheating parts can cause this sort of thing. Check all your cooling fans for malfunction. If so, clean and test, or replace. Get some monitoring software to check GPU and CPU temps. Research what are acceptable temp ranges for your hardware. Get RAM tester software, ensure your RAM is fine, hot and cold. Etc. etc.

Concentrate on hardware trouble-shooting. LFS is stable. My money is on a faulty cooling fan on your graphics card. That would be relatively lucky...
#9 - ORION
Quote from BlueFlame :It does happen with other games too

then its not an lfs bug and most likely a hardware problem (maybe also driver problem, but usually its caused by wrong voltage/overclocking/overheating)

Did you run Prime95?
http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v256.zip

Generally, when hardware, driver or software problems show up, the weirdest things can happen, so I guess the same error simply results in a different behaviour.
Have you looked in the system/application event logs?
Last week i have lfs crashes too.
online and offline... mostly on ctra, when track change happens.
Latest Video Drivers, if it still happens I would hedge a guess that it might be RAM, out of interest has it ever Blue Screened?
No it doesn't blue screen, sometimes when something crashes it restarts my computer too, with no warning.
Sounds like either Video or processor if it's not generating dmp files, the latest drivers should support video crash recovery, but that wont help in a race.
BlueFlame, you have received plenty of advice now.

Its time to tell what steps you have taken to fix your problem, if any. People are making an effort to help you, so please, do tell what you've done.

Btw, have you considered malware? You got any on your computer? Do you know how to find malware? Do you know how to get rid of malware? Are you confident there isn't any on your box?
Quote from delray25 :BlueFlame, you have received plenty of advice now.

Its time to tell what steps you have taken to fix your problem, if any. People are making an effort to help you, so please, do tell what you've done.

Btw, have you considered malware? You got any on your computer? Do you know how to find malware? Do you know how to get rid of malware? Are you confident there isn't any on your box?

No, i do not know of Malware, can you enlighten me,
I don't check the forums here very often anymore, my virus scanner finds nothing, i am just going to install Spyboy Search & Destroy now so i can remove Spyware
To see if you have malware, run HiJackThis to fix your system. Or even better, post a HiJackThis log...that tells everything that shouldn't be on your system...
Here, tell me what you think man
Attached files
hijackthis2.txt - 6.9 KB - 184 views
That looks clean to me. Some of the processes there can replaced by spyware/malware, which the log wouldn't show. But I can't see anything that shouldn't be there. It's a mystery why LFS is crashing on you so lol...

[OT] Does anyone know why Punk Buster is there? It's been appearing in my own process list recently too, even though the only I have that uses it is NFS Pro Street, which I haven't used in weeks... [/OT]
#20 - Jakg
Quote from dougie-lampkin :[OT] Does anyone know why Punk Buster is there? It's been appearing in my own process list recently too, even though the only I have that uses it is NFS Pro Street, which I haven't used in weeks... [/OT]

PunkBuster runs all the time as a service even if you aren't playing the game on a fresh boot.

Don't ya just love the fact you PAY for the software and get it yet if you didn't pay it wouldn't be there?
I had same sort of problem on my old comp. (finally got a new one, yay) I fixed it by adding more cooling to graphics card.
Quote from Jakg :PunkBuster runs all the time as a service even if you aren't playing the game on a fresh boot.

Don't ya just love the fact you PAY for the software and get it yet if you didn't pay it wouldn't be there?

lol I removed it anyway...I'm not sure how easily it could be infected
I think ill just give my rig a cleanout when i get some time.
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Regarding your hijackthis log: I would investigate the process called C:\WINDOWS\explorer222.exe

Normally, you would have a program called explorer.exe in that folder. Check if that one is there. If it is, compare the two (binary, checksum). There could be good reason for the explorer222.exe program to be there, but at least you should try to find out why it is there and how it got there.

There is a newer version of AVG available. I have had a virus on a Win 2000 server about 6 months ago. AVG didn't recognise it, presumably because the virus had only been in the wild a couple of days.

The virus replaced the regular explorer.exe shell with its own. It then proceeded to run a couple of window-less internet explorers every other minute, evidently to bump up some websites visitors statistics. It was also logging keyboard keystrokes, apparently it was looking for usernames/passwords for some mainstream MMORPGs.

It created itself multiple startup points, in all the well known locations, and in some less known locations as well. Everytime the machine was restarted it created several copies of itself with random names and set itself up to start at least one of them at the next restart.

It was discovered because the machine would randomly slow down or spontaneously restart.

Cleaning the virus out of the machine was a big bad pain in the arse job that took almost all day. Don't ask about the rest of the network...

Anyway, I don't want to press the panic button ( I guess I made a good job of doing just that ), just trying to illustrate that there could be a number of different causes for your problem.

So why don't you open your box, start it up and check that the CPU and graphics card cooling fans are in good working order. And while you're at it, take a brush to them and clean out all the accumulated dust from the fins of the fans and the heat sinks (switch off and unplug first). That shouldn't take more than 10 mins and may just solve your problem.
Quote from BlueFlame :I think ill just give my rig a cleanout when i get some time.
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

This may help out, as the dust settles in heatsinks and fan channels this of course will increase the temp of the affected component. Also, how close to limit are you for your power supply? First, don't forget they age (dependant on use) and a brown-out at a critical time could cause performance issues.....

Random .exe Crashes
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG