The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from downlikerain :All Im going to saying to this matter is. If people are paying for Realism, then its certainly not worth it. And also It wouldn't be worth it if your looking for alot of players, becuse alot of people wont pay that first of all and second..there are tons of way better racing game that people are already associated with.

If by realism you mean better or equal physics and real tracks why wouldn't people want that? People complain about the lack of tracks in LFS all the time - I'm sure some people would pay for that feature alone.

Not many people are playing iRacing right now, true, because it hasn't been released yet. We have no idea how small or large the community will be.

Third, have you played iRacing? How can you say other sims are "better" without having first tried iRacing?
Will it support multimonitor views?

Biggest negatives I see is it seems to be mostly focusing on US content, if it is truely going to be aimed globaly it needs to incorperate content from around the world.

They talk about geographically located teams/events as well, that is a hurdle that will not be easy for example the time zone I live in (Western Australia) is aligned with much of asia but Australia doesn't have very good backbone links with asia which then limits potential competitors to my own city and the eastern states of Australia which is at times 3 hrs different and relatively much smaller pool of potential sim drivers compareed to the US, Europe or Asia.

I think the whole concept has some interesting points and potentially will be very good, but have doubts about it being sucessful on a global scale.

I will watch it's pregress with interest and may even be convinced to give it ago...
This is got to be a bad joke , monthly payment ? Not even a demo ? Hell no !!! Me >> :slap: << iracing
Come on, are they really asking for that much? People pay similar money for World of Warcraft and I assure you that was far far cheaper to develop than iRacing. The research costs on iRacing are, I'm sure quite steep. Laser scanning tracks costs quite a lot of money - hence the steep track price. Testing the tyres of each car is also very expensive - hence the car price. They're providing an online series service with servers and everything, putting the whole thing together. That's a monthly cost to them - hence the business model. Like I said it would be nice if you could put your subscription on hold for a few weeks now and then but that's not really a nail in its coffin. You pay in terms of where they spend their money. I don't see what's wrong with that. And in the States and in Europe that really isn't that much money to ask for. You easily spend that much money whenever you go out with your buddies.
This man speaks the truth!
Would you loose access to your single player if you discontinued your liscense?

Speaking of single player, is there any AI, or just test and tune stuff?
From what I've heard you actually start the sim from their website - so you would indeed lose access to single player if you stopped paying.

Also, there is no AI.
First of all, about the money involved on getting this Sim....

For instance...on lfs you can see people from all over the world, because it's not that expensive, and as you all know, diferent Country's, diferent wallets. And if your really a poor guy, you can always have a go by using the free demo. If you really like it you can save money for a few months, and then buy an S1 or S2 license.
And for that i'll take my hat off to the Lfs Dev's.
They way i see it, this is going to raise a wall between, not only the wrekers and the racers, but between thoose who got money to spend and thoose who don't. You can alway be in good Leagues where you only find good, nice and clean drivers.
Don't get me wrong, because i like the idea of well organised championships, with prizes and bringing the feelling of real racing.
But that amount of money for a Sim, that has not even a comunity yet, that has not proven to be the best, simply is ridiculous.
I understand that it's just begining....and that's really my point. Maybe in a couple of years, if it is the best simulator in the world, with the best comunity, best physics, best graphics, and in general the best platform for people to do Online Professional Racing, ...maybe then spending all that money will be worth.

But that's just my opinion...

Cheers...

Btw...Long live the Dev's and long live Live For Speed.
Quote from axus :Come on, are they really asking for that much? People pay similar money for World of Warcraft and I assure you that was far far cheaper to develop than iRacing. The research costs on iRacing are, I'm sure quite steep. Laser scanning tracks costs quite a lot of money - hence the steep track price. Testing the tyres of each car is also very expensive - hence the car price. They're providing an online series service with servers and everything, putting the whole thing together. That's a monthly cost to them - hence the business model. Like I said it would be nice if you could put your subscription on hold for a few weeks now and then but that's not really a nail in its coffin. You pay in terms of where they spend their money. I don't see what's wrong with that. And in the States and in Europe that really isn't that much money to ask for. You easily spend that much money whenever you go out with your buddies.

So we're all playing WoW? Otherwise, your comparison makes no freaking sense...
not to mention that mumopogers usually offer _free_ trials
Quote from FOX 1977 :But that amount of money for a Sim, that has not even a comunity yet, that has not proven to be the best, simply is ridiculous.

How do you even know if this statement is true?

Just because YOU can't see it, doesn't mean there isn't a thriving community already
Quote from danowat :How do you even know if this statement is true?

Just because YOU can't see it, doesn't mean there isn't a thriving community already

Ok. Fair enough.
Well maybe i sould put this way, " But that amount of money for a Sim, that has not even a comunity yet as far as i know, and that has not proven to be the best, simply is ridiculous. "
And if you know a forum of this sim please let me know, for me to try to learn more about it, his users, beta testers reviews or even comparatives reviews with other Sims.

Cheers...
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yep.

Will it support configurable independent views on different monitors similar to MS FlightSim? Even with the possibility of using several PC's to make a cockpit?

Will it support real gauges and instrumentation? What about things like brake bias being assigned to an axis?

I assume it will have full telementry support and analysis. What about live telementy feeds to team mates?

As I said to me it is beginning to look very interesting, the main concern I'd have is that due to my timezone I'd not get much value from it.

If it truely can deliver on what it says in regards to tyre physics model (although they haven't given any specifics) and track detail I would give it a go.

In regards to tyres in iRacing as a race driver do they give you access to virtual tyre data to aid in suspension tunning? Things like tyre spring rate under various loads, cornering stiffness, etc.

Do the tyres behave as expected when opperated outside of tyre manufacturers recommendations? i.e. if 10 psi below is steering input quite disconected to car response, do the tyres heat unevenly and do they sustain damage due to excessive sidewall rollover, etc?

Is there a noticable difference to the heat/grip model between racing slicks and treaded tyres?

These are the things that will tip the scales for me If it can do all of that I'd readily pay the ongoing fees
Quote from bbman :So we're all playing WoW? Otherwise, your comparison makes no freaking sense...

I was merely saying that the money they're asking for is not at all out of this world.
asking for 20$ just to try the game is out of this world and completely unreasonable especially if you put it into perspective by comparing it to the near identical price of a s1 licence
Quote from Shotglass :asking for 20$ just to try the game is out of this world and completely unreasonable especially if you put it into perspective by comparing it to the near identical price of a s1 licence

I dunno, it's not that unreasonable.

Many games on the market have no demos, which mean you have to shell out without trying it first, GTA4 is a prime example.
theres two fundamental differences
1) gta4 and most games without demos arent subscription based so if you dont like it youll at least have something you can sell again to get some of that wasted money back... and i cant think of any subscription based game that does not offer a ~1 week free trial
2) gta is one of the oldest franchises on the market... its not like you dont know more or less exactly what to expect from the game... sims on the other hand differ greatly from generation to generation and the only titels to go by in the case of iracing are nr2003 and gpl both of which are rather quite good but compared to todays top players in the physics department cant measure up and for someone who entered the sim market late with s2 only because all previous titels failed to impress on physics its not enough to believe in iracing
I guess it'll have to be a word of mouth thing then from trusted people in the community
Maybe. I'm still going to wait for a free demo. A week would easily be long enough to try it out. I really can't see that getting abused too much, as if you were to sign back up again with a different email address, after a few weeks you'd either run out of email addys or get bored of signing up for new accounts. Throw in some IP, Mac or cookie tracking and the number of people who could cheat the system would be reduced to negligable levels. There's no excuse not to do it, except to be greedy.
Quote from danowat :I guess it'll have to be a word of mouth thing then from trusted people in the community

or by doing what most people do when faced with a demoless game which is use the free trial put on the interblag by the same people whos forefathers do nothing other than coding demos in their free time
Quote from Shotglass :or by doing what most people do when faced with a demoless game which is use the free trial put on the interblag by the same people whos forefathers do nothing other than coding demos in their free time

Huh?
Quote from danowat :Huh?

I believe he was meaning: piracy.

I certainly hope it's not pirated. Just because it doesn't have a demo or is subscription based doesn't mean it should be pirated. Nor because it has a higher price tag. In any case, I doubt it'll be. A service can't be pirated, in the same sense we can't "pirate" our way to ge a spot on a real F1 race.

Anyway, Simracing has an incredibly low price currently, and that's one of the reasons why it became a niche market, with dev studios not having a profit with these products. If it wasn't for the simracing passion of one visionary guy with rich pockets we'd probably wouldn't have this project. And until proven otherwise, choice is a good thing.

In the worst case scenario it'll fail, but at least the average guy (hopefully) will be with his mind more open to pay a decent price for a sim - and no, LFS current price is not decent, it's ridiculous.

If it does work, as I strongly believe it will, it will benefit the whole genre. I never understood the anger towards iRacing, as I don't understand how can so many "experts" give so definitive opinions about something without trying, or even knowing minimally.
I don't think it will be possible to pirate.........
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG