The online racing simulator
Depressing thread (maybe) r.e. fuel costs
(61 posts, started )
you lucky austrailian ......... lol
It's all about profits, all these price increases come from whatever company making sure that it makes more money than it made last year and so on. None of them will accept a dent in their profits, they don't take on any of the extra cost to them they just pass it all on and more the customer.

I know it's the way of the world is but it's hard to accept when you see the price increase, hear the managing director or whoever say, "ah, it's because the cost has gone up for us, blah, blah, blah" then later on read some where about record profits, again.

If things keep going the way it is the government will have to do something because it will just get to expensive to live, let alone drive to work, transport goods, etc, etc.

For fuel costs there is the problem that it’s gone so high and keeps getting higher the harder it is to bring the price back down to anything like a reasonable level.

Unless the fuel companies take on more of the cost increase it’s never going to go down, it will just keep rising.

...also, biofuel is not the answer, that would just create and whole set of different problems.
Quote from garph :It's all about profits

Yes and no.

Yes, the oil companies are profiteering from it and making some tidy amounts of money.

No, that's not the fundamental reason behind the increasing cost. It's supply and demand. Demand is through the roof, and is outstripping supply. OPEC, which produces the majority of th world's oil, isn't increasing output because 1) they can't, their infrastructure is at capacity, and 2) they enjoy the increased prices too. So they can either spend money on expanding their infrastructure and make less money as a result, or they can spend no money and make more money. Difficult decision.

Quote from garph :the government will have to do something

Like what? Nuke China back to the stone age? Turn wine into oil?
Quote from STROBE :No, that's not the fundamental reason behind the increasing cost. It's supply and demand.

Or more specifically its speculators i.e. capatilism at its finest.

Greed and fear is what drives the world economies
Quote from Glenn67 :Greed and fear is what drives the world economies

What do you think the economy runs on, love? If love was a stock I guarantee you it would be a hell of a lot more unstable then oil.
Filled up my bike (first-gen EX500) yesterday. 190 miles on the trip meter and it took 3.6 gallons, costing me $13.50.

Buy a bike.

Danowat: I know you've already got one.
Quote from Forbin :Filled up my bike (first-gen EX500) yesterday. 190 miles on the trip meter and it took 3.6 gallons, costing me $13.50.

Buy a bike.

Danowat: I know you've already got one.

My bike is less economical than my car!!!!
For the first time it's cost me more than £60 to fill my car up.
I think one of the major roadside assistance companies calculated the average cost of running a car in the UK has gone up 20% in the past year, more for larger vehicles.

The fuel companies make an obcene amount of money, but they say they have to charge what they do because OPEC fixes the price of oil per barrel. They would get in trouble if they sold it cheaper.

The government makes an obcene amount of money from the tax, and would like to take more! When will one of the major parties realise that we drive because we have to, not because we want to (most of the time). Probabaly when they realise there are 30 million drivers who are also voters.
Quote from wark :The local fast food joint is hiring highschoolers at $10 an hour. If dollars are worth anything these days :P

I read that as a percentage of income, gas is cheaper now than it was when it was $.16 a gallon. There's an optimistic way of looking at it (if it's actually true)...

Fast food joints may be hiring high school students at $10 an hour, but so is the large manufacturing companies that you are suppose to work at to raise a family. Fifteen years ago, jobs for the blue collar worker were starting out at $10 per hour while fuel prices were ~$1 per gallon here. Now in 2008, jobs are still starting out at $10-12 per hour and fuel is skating $4 per gallon. 400% increase in fuel prices but near 0% increases in starting wages....

I am exactly 20.0 miles from work. I get 20 mpg out of my old junk car with a 12 gallon tank. Should be able to drive my 5 days to work on that (2 gallons per day for 5 days), yet I have to fill up at least 3 times each pay period (2 weeks). This doesn't include the 4 gallons it takes my wife in the 2nd vehicle to go grocery shopping, taking Grandma to the doctors, kids to the doctors, she takes her mom shopping since her mom doesn't like to drive, take the kids in to visit my mom, etc.... Everything takes 4 gallons to get to except for work for me.

Around here, the consenses is that it's all Bush's fault. If Clinton is elected President of the US, oil prices will all be solved. I fail to understand that since it is not a US problem, but a global problem.
Quote from wheel4hummer :If love was a stock I guarantee you it would be a hell of a lot more unstable then oil.

Oh love is a very commonly speulcated and traded stock just look at the devorce figures
Quote from danowat :My bike is less economical than my car!!!!

lol

You would expect my car (1994 Toyota Tercel, 1.5L, 82hp, 2000 lbs/914 kg) to be at least somewhat close to my bike in terms of fuel economy, but it's not, not at all.

Car: 26 mpg (31.2 miles per UK Gallon, 6.87 m/L, 11.05 km/L, 9.05 L/100km)
Bike: 50+ mpg (60.0 miles per UK Gallon, 13.21 m/L, 21.25 km/L, 4.71 L/100km)
Quote from danowat :This is what I am driving (sic) at, what are the alternatives?.

I drive 15 miles each way every day, there is NO public transport that goes from where I live to work, sure, I could probably cycle or even run, but who wants to do that in the dead of winter?

I've got a 35 mile trip each way to work and it takes me between 45 mins and an hour, depending on traffic. I leave home at 07:30 normally. If I have to do the trip by public transport, I have 2 busses I need to get, then a train, then another bus (or a 30 min walk). By the time I do that to and from work, I may as well set up a tent in the car park. It's an option for "emergencies", but certainly not something I'd contemplate ona daily basis. Likewise, obviously a cab is out of the question as I'm not made of cash and cycling isn't an option either as 8 miles or so is done on the M25 and about 15 on the A41 (dual carriageway). As for running, there's more chance of me being the next PM

Public transport is, to be blunt, bollox anyway. If it was halfway reliable in keeping times, it wouldn't be so bad, but alas.......

My littlen also lives 12 miles away that wouldn't be too easy to get to by train etc, least of all with the stuff he brings when he stays at weekends.. so when I add 1 or 2 round trips there n back a week to the fuel costs, it's a silly amount. I do on average 2 tanks a week

I really don't wanna trade the motor in for something "cheap n cheerful" but it may come to a point when I have to slightly reconsider my options in engines.

I do believe that the majority of it stems from gov. tax.. it certainly always used to. But something must be (semi-)flexible for garage brands (and even same brands in different areas) to have such a difference in prices. Oil costs the same in posh and poorer areas, and on small main roads and busy dual carriageways.. yet fuel prices (and of course, the companies annual profits) don't reflect this.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Forbin :lol

You would expect my car (1994 Toyota Tercel, 1.5L, 82hp, 2000 lbs/914 kg) to be at least somewhat close to my bike in terms of fuel economy, but it's not, not at all.

Car: 26 mpg (31.2 miles per UK Gallon, 6.87 m/L, 11.05 km/L, 9.05 L/100km)
Bike: 50+ mpg (60.0 miles per UK Gallon, 13.21 m/L, 21.25 km/L, 4.71 L/100km)

Car : 56mpg
Bike : anywhere between 10mpg & 38mpg
ok lads time to grow our own fuel. I'll get the tractors. diesel or petrol or both?

My dad is even starting to go back on having a diesel what is it £1.16 per litre.
I was watching Billy Connolly's World Tour of Scotland the other day and remembered seeing him drive past a garage, and the prices on there were so bloody cheap, it just makes you want to go back in the past, just for cheap fuel! Not sure what the year was, but it's certainly not recent.
Attached images
cheap fuel.jpg
I have almost thought that only in Finland fuel costs are very high. Well most of our fuel price is taxes (that sucks) 98E (what my car needs) is now almost 1.50€ per liter and that's one hell of a price for a student to fill a 60 liter tank with that price.
#42 - arco
Fuel prices have increased insanely over here in the last week. Petrol is at €1.70 and diesel at €1.75 pr liter. I smell a revolution coming! pirate:
how about buying an old diesel that uses a mechanical pump instead of these highly strung tdci jobs, befriend your local chippy and away you go, problem solved. Bit like 5th gear did with the old merc.
Fuel costs are not due to a shortage, it is partially due to OPEC, who are forcing none OPEC countries to stop producing oil as it pushes down the prices, and partially due to greed/tax (at home it is 106p a litre, here it is 112p a litre). Easily accessible oil isn't going to run out for a long ass time (we're talking hundreds if not thousands of years), so there is no real reason for the costs to be as high as they are, and by the time it does we'd have moved on from petroleum based engines.

And all these fuel protests do is push up prices at the pump, the big companies still get their pay cheque, but John Doe gets kicked in the crotch.

Quote from mrfell :Bottom line is that lpg will (maybe??) never be as expensive as petrol / diesel as its a by product. So for the time being i'll enjoy the benefits. But yeah, eventually the Government will bugger it up!!

Diesel started life virtually tax free just like LPG, but the gov't realised it was becoming popular because of its cheapness, so they hiked the tax on it. LPG will only stay cheap as long as a small market share use it. If it becomes as popular as diesel did way back when, the gov't will stop the tax freeze on it and tax the balls out of it.
It's crazy! I've a 20mile trip each way 3 days of the week to college and then another 3 days I have a 15mile trip each way to work, clocking a total of 210 miles a week. Costs me between £35-40 a week on fuel. I remember when I started driving getting away with about £25 a week on fuel and that was only just over 2 years ago...
Fuel companies say the price has risen because the cost of the oil is increasing (which it is), but if it's increased as much as they said, and they're truly just trying to cover their costs, why are they posting bigger profits than ever before?

Taxing both fuel and cars as heavily as they are I think is wrong. As it is, someone with an 'unfriendly' car has to pay an ungodly amount to license their car for a year. This is unfair on people who have a car which they don't drive often, as they'll pay more tax than people who pollute more. A good solution would be to cut the car tax to a fixed admin rate of say £15. All the other cost would be put on fuel, this means the people that pay the most will be the people who pollute the most, and people will actually want to buy economic cars. The actual price increase would be miniscule, say you pay £100 to tax your car, if you spread that over an average amount of fuel, it's much less than a penny per litre.
Im not a driver yet and I guess im not planning to be one for a LONG time...When and if I get my license im going to be driving a scooter around that gets about 100+ mpg so i dont have to fill up every 3 days and costing me for than its worth to drive.

In Zanesville, Ohio

$3.95 for the CHEAP gas!
$4.06 fir mid-grade
$4.18 for premium
$4.49 for diesel

This stuff is getting ridiculously to damn expensive!!
Quote from scoobyrbac :Im not a driver yet and I guess im not planning to be one for a LONG time...When and if I get my license im going to be driving a scooter around that gets about 100+ mpg so i dont have to fill up every 3 days and costing me for than its worth to drive.

That's fine until you have to turn up to anywhere looking decent.

If we didn't live in a world where business men and women were expected to turn up at a customer's in anything reasonable, and not a perfectly pressed shirt, etc. then it would be fine.

However, for some reason the world of commerce demands such stupidity. Bloodly bankers...
$137 a litre here for regular. $151 for Suprime plus (best fuel)
#50 - Jakg
Quote from scoobyrbac :Im not a driver yet and I guess im not planning to be one for a LONG time...When and if I get my license im going to be driving a scooter around that gets about 100+ mpg so i dont have to fill up every 3 days and costing me for than its worth to drive.

In Zanesville, Ohio

$3.95 for the CHEAP gas!
$4.06 fir mid-grade
$4.18 for premium
$4.49 for diesel

This stuff is getting ridiculously to damn expensive!!

I find it ironic your complaining about Petrol prices as you live in the US - we pay around $2.35 per LITRE - aka $8.70 a US Gallon. Yeah. It's so expensive over there!

I'm sort of lucky my bike is broken, and that its got a piss-poor engine - it only used to eat £6 of petrol a week...

Depressing thread (maybe) r.e. fuel costs
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG