The online racing simulator
.set file association surprise
(10 posts, started )
I've been trying to organize my setup files, and have begun putting them in separate folders for each track. I thought it would be cool if I could click on on the file and have LFS start, so I associated the file with LFS.exe .

Instead of LFS starting, you get something better. The file is copied into the setup folder automatically! This is extra nice. Now, I can keep the setup folder clean, and just click on the setup file(s) I want to use for that session.

On a similar note, are there any external setup editors floating around? I'd like to be able to view and edit multiple setups at the same time. Thanks
I'll just add some more info here for anyone who doesn't know about LFS file associations.

.set files are copied into your setups folder
.lyt files are copied into your layout folder
.spr files are copied and the replay is run
.mpr files are copied and the replay is run

To enable these file associations, right click on one of these files, select "open with" and browse for LFS.
Somebody update the WIKI this definetely deserves a place.
So, what your saying is:
If I made a KY2 folder in my setup folder, and fired up LFS, only my KY2 setups would be there?

Sorry, but I don't really understand.
Yeah, the wiki should be updated.

I knew about the replays but not the setups + layouts.
Quote from Dalek0220 :So, what your saying is:
If I made a KY2 folder in my setup folder, and fired up LFS, only my KY2 setups would be there?

If you download a layout online and instead of choosing save as... And finding the LFS directory, just open it with LFS and it will copy the file to your LFS folder automatically.
Quote from mcintyrej :Yeah, the wiki should be updated.

Erm.. It's a wiki guys. Anyone can update it...
-
(mcgas001) DELETED by mcgas001
#7 - J@tko
Quote from the_angry_angel :Erm.. It's a wiki guys. Anyone can update it...

I know but i figured there are people out there with more overview of the total structure of it and experience in updating.
#9 - J@tko
Please feel free to change/edit what I've put. I've just merely put it into the manual.
Quote from Dalek0220 :So, what your saying is:

Not exactly.

If you associate .set files (or the others) as described by Scawen, the actions he detailed will be performed.

If you have a bunch of setups for the car in the setup folder, they all will be there within the LFS program, regardless of the active track. What I'm going to do is keep the "setup" folder empty, and click on the setups I need for the next session depending upon the car, track, and distance I intend to race. The .set file association does nothing more than copy the file you click (or double-click) into the setup folder. If it's already there, you'll be so advised.

I hope that made sense.

Bottom line, whatever is in the setup folder will be available for the car you are driving, regardless of the track you are driving on. My intended technique of emptying the folder regularly and clicking on the .set files as they are needed will do nothing more that limit the list of available setups for the active car depending upon the track I intend to drive on. If you don't mind selecting the appropriate setup file from a list that contains setups for different tracks, then nothing needs to be done. For me, I've downloaded hundreds of .set files, and I need to organize them outside LFS. Enabling the .set file association in order to copy the files I need for a particular track, car, and distance is helpful, but if you can keep track of all of your setup files without configuring the associations, you don't need to worry about it.

Hope that helps.

Theo

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG