The online racing simulator
Codemasters acquire F1 license
(64 posts, started )
Well its better Codemasters got the rights then some other second rate company. And to be honest your basing your oppinions off the other Codemasters games, but for the F1 they might pull out something special, you never know.
Quote from AstroBoy :Well its better Codemasters got the rights then some other second rate company. And to be honest your basing your oppinions off the other Codemasters games, but for the F1 they might pull out something special, you never know.

Come on, lets be honest here. Codemasters are just like EA in the sense that they are all about mass market appeal. They want flash graphics and dumbed down physics for the console generation.
That isn't going to change any time soon as it rakes them in millions.
They will never make anything remotely resembling a sim.
Quote from The Moose :Come on, lets be honest here. Codemasters are just like EA in the sense that they are all about mass market appeal. They want flash graphics and dumbed down physics for the console generation.

I wonder why there can't be a game with flash DX10 graphics AND highly advanced physics like LFS

Quote from The Moose :Come on, lets be honest here. Codemasters are just like EA in the sense that they are all about mass market appeal. They want flash graphics and dumbed down physics for the console generation.

I believe they'll start making semi sims. Some of their older games were semi sims such as DiRT and ToCA. Sure, the physics/handling are very lacking and rudimentary compared to sims such as NR2003, GTR2, LFS and ASR. But compare DiRT and ToCA to true arcade racers like Need for Speed or Burnout and you'll see what makes a semi sim apart from an arcade racer.

But based on the popularity of F1 (which means there was a very good chance that F1 would be made into an arcade racer for mass appeal). I'd prefer a F1 semi sim over an arcade F1 game any day. So while I'm slightly disappointed I'm certainly not devastated
:doh: dang.. codemasters... meh.. what can i tell... the only game i have from them it's absolute fail (Indycar)
#30 - JJ72
hehh...TOCA and DIRT were semi-sims yeah right.................
Quote from JJ72 :hehh...TOCA and DIRT were semi-sims yeah right.................

Toca was ok for it's time, i played it a lot 10 years ago. I don't like the Dirt physics. It just feels wrong, even for an arcade racer.

I think only reason lizardfolk thinks Dirt is different of Need for Speed is because you do have to brake for corners and stuff. But the car breaks much to fast on the sandy underground. It's not realistic at all (and the steering in the middle for cooler looks in the corners isn't helping either).
Quote :
Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.

This could be a good thing though, as sega racing titles usually drive more realistically than say race drivers or colin mcrae's of the not to distant past.

If the game handles like the racing part of this new race driver grid demo, it'll be crap :|
Cheer up guys adleased its not Sony again, things can only get better than the terrible games they made
Quote from Mustafur :I hope to god it doesn't handle like EAs F1 games they were epic bad.

Then you haven't played codie's RD3, whose open wheel racing is epic bad squared. EA's F1 actually is quite playable (after 2 FFB tweaks).
on PS2 it was rubbish.
if its anything likes TRD3 open wheels, then omg this is gonna suck
(ah well, still have F1c which can pass as a sim i suppose ^^)
TOCA 2 (1998) was a good one. If they go back to their origins... they maybe make a good game. But I don´t think so :weeping:
#39 - 5haz
Codmasters havent always produced awful games, for example, take the original Indycar Racing for PC back in 2002, I think its actually quite a realistic sim (and its really difficult too, one bump and your in the wall, just like the real thing I guess!), however if its based on the dIRT game engine then maybe it wont be so brilliant.
Quote from NitroNitrous :TOCA 2 (1998) was a good one. If they go back to their origins... they maybe make a good game. But I don´t think so :weeping:

Your so right, since Toca 2 and Colin McRae 2.0 everything turned into shit.
i wish it was Blimey or Simbin instead of Codmasters
Quote from Alles :i wish it was Blimey or Simbin instead of Codmasters

At least with Codies there will be a console version - more promotion for F1, and those who don't want StarFarce can get it, too.
Can I be happy?

I mean, I could play it no-hassle, I won't need to have to bother my brothers to play it.

Then there is the shitty physics. And the extremely attractive graphics.
Quote from Alles :Simbin

Yeah, then they could make ANOTHER racing rehash in a day, pretend F1 drivers have said it was amazing, and sell it for £30 to the mugs that still buy Sinbin [intentional] games.

At least Codemasters games are remotely enjoyable, and not the festering crap that comes out of Sinbin.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah, then they could make ANOTHER racing rehash in a day, pretend F1 drivers have said it was amazing, and sell it for £30 to the mugs that still buy Sinbin [intentional] games.

At least Codemasters games are remotely enjoyable, and not the festering crap that comes out of Sinbin.

Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah, then they could make ANOTHER racing rehash in a day, pretend F1 drivers have said it was amazing, and sell it for £30 to the mugs that still buy Sinbin [intentional] games.

Codie games are non-playable with a steering wheel, or at least severely handicapped compared to using a gamepad. For that reason alone Simbin titles are 100x more enjoyable for me.

Still, I'd much prefer either a nKp or LFS based F1 sim.
Just tried the GRID demo on my Xbox, wow... I only shiver in fear as to what they will come up with for an F1 game

GRID = Most Likely THE worst racing game I've ever played. Failure (and in no way an attempt) at making a Race07 / NFS Pro Street clone.
Quote from niall09 :F1 '97 was teh best F1 game

sorry to bring this game up again, but are you talking about the game for the old ps1 ? that was a great game the commentary was the best .. like when murray walker's voice breaks and they just left it in there good times

on topic: Codemasters said that GRID was going to be very realistic but after trying the demo i cannot take them seriously i hope their F1 game will be a very good sim but i cant see that happening tbh
#49 - aoun
I still remember a heap of cheats, like pieman or piman gave you no wheels and a hovering f1 car and another cheat that turns the screen old, black and white with the lines on the screen.

F1 97 was a cool game. Cant forget the huge shortcuts in hockenhiem and Argentina!
Quote from Gills4life :on topic: Codemasters said that GRID was going to be very realistic

They've been hyping their racing games for the past like 8 years as "realistic", and have failed (as said before) on everything after CMR2.

I don't know who it is, but someone that codes the driving physics just LOVES to make this weird tow-hitch-and-trailer style yaw action when the car slides with uber high sensitivity, grip, and braking. That guy must be head/project lead of any racing game they make, I swear.... they've all felt the same, and progressively becoming worse each time.

Codemasters acquire F1 license
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG