The online racing simulator
Up for F2000's at Spa later anyone? DSSpeedway is a decent server, or i can get my teammate to set one up when he gets home probably.
we just stopped racing like 30min ago, since i had to get something to eat and hyperactive also had enough from racing. maybe i'll join later again, otherwise i hope to see you again thursday
Quote from troy :we just stopped racing like 30min ago, since i had to get something to eat and hyperactive also had enough from racing. maybe i'll join later again, otherwise i hope to see you again thursday

Ok. I'll give it a miss tonight then. If you want a server set up with a specific combo for Thursday let me know.
Tried the demo for the first time in a couple years last night.

Sounds are awful, worse than LFS. Driving felt like it could be alright, but the default setup was balls. Understeer all over the place.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Sounds are awful, worse than LFS. Driving felt like it could be alright, but the default setup was balls. Understeer all over the place.

Sound is highly subjective. I absolutely love that scazzato sound engine in 5.1 loud! The alternative sound pack that's available for the crossfade engine is pretty damn good as well.

The default setups are indeed a crock of shit.

Give these a try for FF1600...don't know how they are, but they're from the best FF1600 driver at GPC so should be ok
Attached files
JB-SetupPack.rar - 3.7 KB - 211 views
Quote from The Moose :Sound is highly subjective. I absolutely love that scazzato sound engine in 5.1 loud! The alternative sound pack that's available for the crossfade engine is pretty damn good as well.

The sounds themselves are fine, it's the mixing that sounds bad.

Specifically, curb and grass sounds are waaay too loud, as is the shifter noise. They also sound like discrete sound units rather than one amalgamated background of noise when driving.

Thanks for the setup!
NetKar is MINT and complete PANTS at the same time! MINT PANTS!!! lol
Quote from The Moose :Sound is highly subjective. I absolutely love that scazzato sound engine in 5.1 loud!

I really don't understand how anyone can like that distortion/crackling/whatever. Some higher revving cars in LFS gets painful to listen after a while, but in NKP it's really really painful. Since Patch W it has been definitely LFS sound > NKP sound (happens to be only games now with synthesized sound engine, so it's fair compare). Imho of course I've never understood what the Scazzato tries to simulate because it sounds absolutely like very distorted sound through cheap onboard camera mic (e.g.)
Quote from deggis :I really don't understand how anyone can like that distortion/crackling/whatever.

Hehe..different strokes etc.

The sound in LFS is one of it's weakest features imo. Really cant stand it.
I doubted NetKar's sound and then I watched some onboard IRL and it sounds pretty accurate... in some cases
Quote from The Moose :Hehe..different strokes etc.

The sound in LFS is one of it's weakest features imo. Really cant stand it.

Did you say that just to make it even?

I was more like hoping you would explain what makes Scazzato good. Little to do with personal preference, only tolerance to hear distortion. Bad sound quality is just simply bad sound quality and human ear is not designed to like distortion.

It's a bit like using Shift+A in LFS and putting the sliders all the way to the right so that all you get is "clipping" (distortion).

-
Quote from Intrepid :I doubted NetKar's sound and then I watched some onboard IRL and it sounds pretty accurate... in some cases

yes kinda like recording an engine with a 5 quid mic during a hurricane
Quote from Intrepid :I doubted NetKar's sound and then I watched some onboard IRL and it sounds pretty accurate... in some cases

(Yes I noticed that bolded part) but you should know onboard videos are far from what driver really hears...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rzT1DRmMuPY&fmt=18
vs.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wz2-6v9-Ta0&fmt=18
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nM9vZLxOvXY&fmt=18

Obviously 10x more expensive camera, which explains why it sounds so much better...

From what I've heard the two sound engines sound quite similar, but nKpro uses much more distortion/clipping. It's not deeper, richer or any more interesting, there's just more distortion. So I agree with Deggis, but I haven't downloaded the latest version, I'm just basing this off old experience.
Quote from Electrik Kar :From what I've heard the two sound engines sound quite similar.....

They couldn't sound more different tbh.
I probably shouldn't have written that; old impressions.. disregard.
Not like there have been any (significant at least) changes to the sound engine(s) since the 1.00 release.
does the game worth playing?
Quote :But I'll say this: roughly within 2 weeks (something like that) there will be a very interesting and 'tangible' 1.0.3 proof of life. Something that you can download.

One thing I can say: if 1.0.3 is not here within 6 months, I think that I will give up this project as well It simply must be out there before that.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =3762584&postcount=83

Another ASS article? ("something you can download")
Quote from deggis :
vs.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wz2-6v9-Ta0&fmt=18

Damn that looks like fun. Just look at how the car moves around.

For all the magic of the NKpro engine (I love how immersive the game is), the FF1600 doesn't really drive like that! Anyone else notice!? It doesn't really slide, but just lets go in a snap.

It's the best feeling sim I've ever driven, but is it correct?
Quote from Mattesa :Damn that looks like fun. Just look at how the car moves around.

For all the magic of the NKpro engine (I love how immersive the game is), the FF1600 doesn't really drive like that! Anyone else notice!? It doesn't really slide, but just lets go in a snap.

It's the best feeling sim I've ever driven, but is it correct?

That's why I still rate LFS above nKP in terms of vehicle dynamics and feel. The LFS cars feel alive, and move around a LOT more than anything I've managed in nK... But it's not an entirely fair test as LFS doesn't have a FFord type of car.

LFS's FOX is much more like my F3 car than the FTarget of nK (admittedly neither is particularly close to my car, as mine is a lot older and more knackered).
Quote from tristancliffe :That's why I still rate LFS above nKP in terms of vehicle dynamics and feel. The LFS cars feel alive, and move around a LOT more than anything I've managed in nK... But it's not an entirely fair test as LFS doesn't have a FFord type of car.

LFS's FOX is much more like my F3 car than the FTarget of nK (admittedly neither is particularly close to my car, as mine is a lot older and more knackered).

But the FTarget a serious physics flaw I hear that needs to be fixed with the next patch... if the patch will actually ever be released,
Even prior to the current patch, or using the older tyre files with the current patch. Even in the non-downforce cars (which I stress again, I've not driven in real life, but can guess [probably fairly accurately] how they would drive) which don't have a [reported] bug they never feel as alive and desperate to move around. It's either far too much understeer (I'm not sure I could make my real car understeer as strongly as nK does with a neutral setup), or on rails until all hell breaks lose - I'm sure you'll agree Alan that racing vehicles of any sort are way more progressive than that!

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG