The online racing simulator
Which wheel to buy?
(48 posts, started )
Which wheel to buy?
Hi, I am new to online racing sims. Im looking to buy myself a wheel. id like to know which is the best value for money? please could someone help me with some advice.

Thanks
Depends on your budget, but I'd say that the Logitech G25 has the best value for money. (To get any better than that you have to triple your budget). If G25 is too expensive, go for a used Logitech Driving Force Pro .
#3 - garph
If you look further down the forum you'll see a section for wheels and controllers - http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15

There are many posts from people looking for the same thing you are, give a few a read and you'll get a better idea, I'd suggest the DFP, but it also depends on where you are and what is available.

There is also a wheel guide - http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Wheels

Take a second to look at the forum as a whole and you'll see all the sections that are there. Then you'll know where to post and even if you need to post at all.
Logitech G25.... nothing to add !
I have the G25 and I am completely satisfied. Although I cannot compare. What I wanted to say is that by buying the G25 you can't be wrong.
#6 - Nobo
If you can afford a G25 then i would go for it. Otherwise i would take a Logitech DFP or Momo Enjoy the simracing!
G25 but don't change anything until the warrenty has expired cause there are some shifter issues and you will void your warrenty if you take it apart.
Quote from Luke.S :G25 but don't change anything until the warrenty has expired cause there are some shifter issues and you will void your warrenty if you take it apart.

Only if you make it noticeable. I have took my shifter apart before, then had to send it back due to the reverse going. They never noticed

Its only if you scratch the screws is when they notice or if you put it back together really shabby :P
There's a DFP successor coming recently, which supposedly fixed the rather fragile pedals in the DFP. Perhaps look at it first?
Thrustmaster Rally GT pro is THE alternative. Much sturdier than the dfp, better bearings than a momo AND the dfp, half the price of the g25, steering as smooth as the g25, less crappy under installation/calibration, more silent and easier to set up than ALL the others.
And totally forgotten by a logitech fanboy community.

greetz

der butz
i had a momo one back in the day for demo racing. just got myself a g25 and bought S2. so far in the demo its very good! still getting used to 720 degrees though. bought mine for $200AUD...second hand :P
I've only owned one wheel (bought in late 2002) and it still works really well: the Momo Racing (or Momo Black). I can only go by what I've tried, and the ol' Black is pretty sturdy and a good first wheel. Here in Oz they're going for less than $150 AUD at the moment. Just be careful with the paddles, they don't last.
i have the momo one. got it of a friend for $100 :P. its a very good wheel if your on a budget. my previous one was thw wingman, that was too budget spec but did the job. the momo was a huge upgrade but
Quote from der butz :Thrustmaster Rally GT pro is THE alternative. Much sturdier than the dfp, better bearings than a momo AND the dfp, half the price of the g25, steering as smooth as the g25, less crappy under installation/calibration, more silent and easier to set up than ALL the others.
And totally forgotten by a logitech fanboy community.

greetz

der butz

If I remember correctly, that wheel uses a pot for the steering axis, while all Logitech wheels use digital sensors. The DFP already started using ball bearing, which outlasts its pedal set greatly.

I do like the RGT's additional analogue paddles very much.
Quote from yoyoML :If I remember correctly, that wheel uses a pot for the steering axis, while all Logitech wheels use digital sensors. The DFP already started using ball bearing, which outlasts its pedal set greatly.

I do like the RGT's additional analogue paddles very much.

Yep, it uses a pot as steering input...
I've got mine for 4 years now and it's working great, no spikes in steering or pedals, no wobbly feeling because of worn out bearings, no problems at all... it costs around 120€ new, comes with 3 pedals. Imo that's everything you might need.

greetz

der butz
i can only recommend G25. I have now my 2nd one. 1st one i spilled coke over it :P My first wheel was a Microsoft Sidewinder FF (Red Edition). This was a good wheel too. sold it for 60 bucks :P
IMO, Both G25 and DFP have the best value for money. If you can pay 250€ go for G25, if you cant, go for DFP.
just as I said... brainless logitech fanboy sheep....

greetz

der butz
Quote from der butz :just as I said... brainless logitech fanboy sheep....

greetz

der butz

well, just because they like logitech they're not brainless. you can't deny it, logitech has wheels of great quality. but the RGT is also an option to have in mind.

And by the way, i'm willing to buy a RGT. It costs way less than the G25, having a clutch pedal is really an advantage and the analogue paddles are very useful to me because i got a friend in a wheelchair who likes racing games...
Well, maybe that particular Thrustmaster wheel is good value and a good wheel.. But you cant deny, that dfp and momo have been around for a long time and have earned their place... Its not like they suck, and not everyone has taken insight into detail and how it works... So... whatever.... The wheels to look for are momo/dfp/g25/RGT/ probably... since they are the more common ones, and do their job rather well ive only had logitech wheel experience, and since IMHO I think they are really ok. My old formula force feedback GP is still in working condition after hmm.... quite a few years and many many miles in RBR/LFS ....
Quote from jonny__27 :well, just because they like logitech they're not brainless. you can't deny it, logitech has wheels of great quality. but the RGT is also an option to have in mind.

And by the way, i'm willing to buy a RGT. It costs way less than the G25, having a clutch pedal is really an advantage and the analogue paddles are very useful to me because i got a friend in a wheelchair who likes racing games...

I had the RGT and it was great for the $, its dead now and I've just upgraded to a g25, the big difference is the RGT is not as accurate as the g25, its the fine movements that you lose, and the peddels are a lot lighter, but that never bothered me, and the build quality is not as good, all my paddles broke, but I did have it for two years and I didn't treat it that well. The FFB is great on both wheels.

Over all I would recommend it and for the $ its great value.
I'm using the MOMO Black right now, and i have to say that it is a really good entry level wheel. It has really good paddles and pedals (lol), but the wheel and pedals became a little squeaky after some use. Overall a very good wheel with solid FFB. The 240 degrees rotation is pretty acceptable for me.
Driving Force Pro
About the RGT, i think everyone has mixed opinions. I use a G25, and i love it to bits. When my mate got his RGT, i went round to have a go. He put it on LFS (of course :P) and as soon as i driven it, i was dissapointed. It was all setup correctly and everything, but it did'nt feel as good as i thought it would. I know its not going to be AS good as the G25, but i thought it would be relatively good for the price. The FFB is quite good, but its hard to turn the wheel fast like in the G25 due to there being a belt driven motor in the RGT. Also, i thought the build quality was'nt that good. When racing with the G25, it fits into my hands perfect, and it feels very sturdy and strong. As for the RGT, i did'nt like the wheel size (9-10 inches or something?) as it felt too small and odd to hold. I did'nt like really chucking it into the corner too, as it felt flimsy so i thought i might break it!

As for the pedals, i love the way you can flip them around and customize them etc, but i dont like how light they feel and the odd positioning. Also it needs for grips on the bottom.

All in all, its not a bad wheel, but not great either. Seing as there a similiar price, i would reccomend you go for a DFP instead, or if you stretch a few extra bucks, then go for a G25.
Am I alone to hear Jakg comming to show off his ''Wich wheel to buy?'' guide?

Which wheel to buy?
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG