The online racing simulator
Alien and his non Alienware build
(68 posts, started )
This is what I've now ordered.

1 x ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-Black Pearl AP iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio 142854 (new)
1 x E6750 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz Processor and Fan (used)
1 x XFX GeForce 8800GTS PCI-E 320MB GPU (used)
2 x Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/pc2-6400 Hyperx Memory Nvidia SLI- Ready Unbuffered Cl4(4-4-4-12) Non-ECC 2.0v 128660 (1 pair new, 1 used)
1 x Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU - ATX 12V V2.01 120mm Fan 20+4pin
116522 (new)
1 x Antec P182 Gunmetal Grey Super Mid Tower Case - No PSU 126946 (new)

Total conned out of £546.00 which includes delivery.

Now to find a monitor

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Good, cause if you'd actually gotten a 9800, I would have laughed and told you that was a complete waste of money.
I would argue that a 320mb GTS is a waste of money with games these days being made around 512 or more Vram..but who am I
Quote from Noccy :I would argue that a 320mb GTS is a waste of money with games these days being made around 512 or more Vram..but who am I

It's just that at this moment, an 8800GTS gives you a lot more for your money. Once the 9800 prices come down, they will, of course, become the new standard.

EDIT: Wow, I had no idea the 9800GTX was almost the same price as an 8800GTX. These nVidia guys are ridiculous...
You mean the 9800 GTX is the same as 8800 GTS (512)? THe difference is like 20 € here - 270-275ish vs. 250ish.

I'd say the G80 GTS is a weird and somewhat bad choice but meh, what's done is done.

Quote from need :Easy way to remember it.
Crossfire is for AMD processors.
SLI is for nVidia's Intel chipsets.
The two are not compatible.

That may be an easy way but it's totaly wrong. For long AMD only had SLI that was usable. It took a long time until ATI made an usable chipset for AMD. Just barely usable though. But that was the Master/Slave card era. They got support from Intel all the way from 975X, only RD600 being made specifically by ATI, which was bought by AMD at that time. Naturally AMD has CF support in ther own chipsets but Phenoms for example are actually a bit faste ron 590/780 AMD chipsets than 790FX. And there's your SLI for AMD.
My plan was really an 8800gt, but I got that GTS for £96 which is not bad compared to the UK retail price for that specific GPU.
Grats on the bits and good luck getting it all put together and up and running. Got anything for the wife yet?
#58 - need
Quote from Primoz :That may be an easy way but it's totaly wrong.

Yeah, edited my post to make it right. Was in a hurry when I typed it
Nice Alien

Have fun putting it together M8.
Hurry up and drive already I haven't seen you for awhile

Oh ya and sent me your old PC instead of shipping it to the dump. Its probably ten times better than mine

See ya soon bud!!
Hey Todd,

I've been geeking it up a bit recently so not been racing so much, I must have been on every PC website ever written . I'll be back on track more soon.

Oh and OT I have now gotten an Abit mobo instead of the Asus P5k, I managed to get a IP35 Pro XE. It took some seraching to find one in the UK.
You mean IP35-PRO? Never heard of the XE Good board though.
Quote from Primoz :You mean IP35-PRO? Never heard of the XE Good board though.

Hi mate, the XE is new out with 1600 FSB

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk ... YPE=LGA775&DEFTITLE=Y

My bits are arriving slowly but surely, I've ended up getting a Dell 2408wfp monitor and the mirror SE version of the Antec P182 case, also I have gone for the Raptor X HDD.

With the 'gay' mirror case I should be able to have a shave without going afk and my wife liked the look of it.

I've also ordered a Asus Eee PC 900 in white as a surprise for my wife, it's the dinkiest laptop I have ever seen.

I am now totally skint and will have to sleep in a cardboard box by the side of the road for the LFS Newcastle weekend.
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but it was never concluded.
Well its taken me a while from first my first idea to a working PC this due to my inept laziness and the fact that I could use the new 24" screen with my old laptop. The first time I tried to boot it up after the first build it would not even post...meh and has therefore been laying gathering dust until yesterday when I could look at it no more (and my wife could take it no more which is more to the point). I decided to strip it to bits and rebuild and it then booted straight away, yes I have slapped myself.....strange, anyway I am most happy and what a difference from my old laptop set up. GTR Evo which was a dead loss and unplayable my laptop runs amazingly well. Anyway just thought I'd share my excitement on here as my wife doesn't give two hoots!
Not sure about the case tbh it's a bit gay although I can admire myself when I'm racing
Attached images
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Bit gay is a 'bit' of an understatement :jawdrop:
Nice rig Alien

See I knew you was a ricer

Hopefully see you soon on track mate like the old times, get hold of Niels for a heads up of the new plans believe it or not he knows more than me now Hehe
Quote from CELTIC100 :Nice rig Alien

See I knew you was a ricer

Hopefully see you soon on track mate like the old times, get hold of Niels for a heads up of the new plans believe it or not he knows more than me now Hehe

Yes mate the new website looks fantastic, I have registered but it won't let me in ...waiting on Andy to sort me out .

I just wish they had the case in Gold... oh well not to worry it sorta matches my ever greying hair and is a mid life crisis soother......:riceboy::eye-poppi:yikes:
wicked stuff Struan..... should be all sorted now. Sent PM thru *cough* iRacing.
Quote from StableX :wicked stuff Struan..... should be all sorted now. Sent PM thru *cough* iRacing.

Blasphemy!!!
Repent you iRacing git

Alien and his non Alienware build
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG