The online racing simulator
Subforum for non-racing use of LFS
Been trying to hold my breath for a long time now, but it seems like we can't avoid this kind of stuff to happen to "our" supposed race sim forum... I think it's time for a subforum for the Cruisers and Drifters?

Pro: no more non-racing discussions where we (or let's start with I) don't want them...
Con: acknowledge the "abuse" of a supposed race sim.

[following is added from later posts]
Over the time it's become clear to me that this type of servers definitely won't dissapear if you don't support them. So I think it's time to make the decision to deal with them and navigate them to their own place, rather than to "ignore" them and watch the flame wars burn down the forum, and LFS' image along with it.

So what I'm suggesting is to let cruisers and drifters live, be it in there own subforum so users that don't want anything to do with the non-racing side of the online racing simulator don't have to have anything to do with it - and vice versa. No more cruise bashing, no more drift wars, etc. Everyone happy?

Thoughts?
Great idea! Just rename "Improvement Suggestions" to "Cruise & Drift goes here."
Talk about killing two birds with one stone
Quote from AndroidXP :Great idea! Just rename "Improvement Suggestions" to "Cruise & Drift goes here."

LOL Android!

I acutally think, Finally there is a good idea in here for once.
Quote from AndroidXP :Great idea! Just rename "Improvement Suggestions" to "Cruise & Drift goes here."

:ices_rofl
oh another cruise basher, oh its mishues, not it is not, you are intitled to your views fine but dont go insulting people which is what you are doin

edit: though in all honesty a seperate drift section and a seperate cruise section would be nice but not for the ignorent and selfish reasons you are suggesting
Quote from james12s :oh another cruise basher, oh its mishues, not it is not, you are intitled to your views fine but dont go insulting people which is what you are doin

edit: though in all honesty a seperate drift section and a seperate cruise section would be nice but not for the ignorent and selfish reasons you are suggesting

Ho-ho-hoooly shit...? Please point me to the line where I'm insulting people?
Actually I'm suggesting to let cruisers and drifters live, be it in there own subforum where users that don't want anything to do with the non-racing side of the online racing simulator don't have to have anything to do with it - and vice versa. No more cruise bashing, no more drift wars, etc. Everyone happy?
to me the line talking of abuse of the sim will offend certain people, you may not have mean it to come out that way, i have the same problem but if the idea realy was meant so everyone could live in harmony i totally agree and its a gr8 idea.

sorry if i read it the wrong way
Quote from james12s :to me the line talking of abuse of the sim will offend certain people, you may not have mean it to come out that way

I see your point But that's why I purposefully put "abuse" between quotation marks, it wasn't meant to be offensive at all
ah ok sorry
Good idea, and how about that subforum is hidden from other people? In User CP, you choose whether you want it to be visible or not...
whats the point in hiding it, if you dont like it dont go there
Quote from james12s :whats the point in hiding it, if you dont like it dont go there

Probably so the posts don't appear in the 'new posts' search listing.. much the same way as I wrote a greasemonkey script to strip out all threads in the search results with the words 'dr1ft*', 'drift*', 'dori*' etc etc in them

Regards,

Ian
So you don't have to endure the... erm, "unwanted content" on the New Posts page.

E: As Ian said.
ah ok i dont use that page so wouldnt know, fair enough
Quote from AndroidXP :Great idea! Just rename "Improvement Suggestions" to "Cruise & Drift goes here."Talk about killing two birds with one stone

its easy, just throw to the upper one of them to the head. than the bird should be knoecked out and he fall and stick its nose into the other birds head and if they didnt die to that they die when they smack over earth
And non off topic:
That kind of subforum would be good
This is a two-edged sword. Those who don't want to talk about cruising/drifting won't have to stand these threads on general discussion (Well, time to time [Read: Daily] someone still posts there...). On the other hand, then LFS "officially" supports cruising and drifting (Even that's not true) and would bring more drifters / casual drivers to LFS (Both good and bad there... More sold licenses, but attracts "the wrong kind of people").

Edit: Oh ya, I cruise. However, I try to stop that awful habit and start online racing (After I can get enough courage...)
oh i cruise and race and so does my cousin who got me really involved in cruising,during the time hes been on the cruise servers i have seen his drving in races improve, i cruise as a casual thing and as a bit of fun and race when i want something a bit more hard edged
Quote from Boris Lozac :Good idea, and how about that subforum is hidden from other people? In User CP, you choose whether you want it to be visible or not...

Making it invisible isn't necessary if you ask me, but then again, I don't use the New Posts feature. For me collapsing a subforum - which is possible already - will do

Quote from Gekkibi :This is a two-edged sword. Those who don't want to talk about cruising/drifting won't have to stand these threads on general discussion (Well, time to time [Read: Daily] someone still posts there...). On the other hand, then LFS "officially" supports cruising and drifting (Even that's not true) and would bring more drifters / casual drivers to LFS (Both good and bad there... More sold licenses, but attracts "the wrong kind of people").

Yeah well, that's basically the extended version of my pro and con from the first post
I personally think "supporting" the cruise and drift servers was already done by adding the option "Cruise [on/off]" on the serverlist page, ingame.
Over the time it's become clear to me that this type of servers definitely won't dissapear if you don't support them. So I think it's time to make the decision to deal with them and navigate them to their own place, rather than to "ignore" them and watch the flame wars burn down the forum, and LFS' image along with it.
Quote from traxxion :I personally think "supporting" the cruise and drift servers was already done by adding the option "Cruise [on/off]" on the serverlist page, ingame.

Not really - "acknowledging" maybe, but the whole thing was more or less added as a convenience option for racers to filter out the useless servers. The only bonus for cruisers was the removed wrong way check.
Quote from AndroidXP :a convenience option for racers to filter out the useless servers

Isn't that exactly what I'm suggesting for the forum?
Quote from traxxion :Making it invisible isn't necessary if you ask me, but then again, I don't use the New Posts feature. For me collapsing a subforum - which is possible already - will do

Yeah well, that's basically the extended version of my pro and con from the first post
I personally think "supporting" the cruise and drift servers was already done by adding the option "Cruise [on/off]" on the serverlist page, ingame.

i like that way tou put thats last bit i think it sums up the idea well, again soz for taking it the wrong way
Quote from james12s :i like that way tou put thats last bit i think it sums up the idea well, again soz for taking it the wrong way

No worries, my first post might have been a bit misleading. I added some text now to clarify.
Great idea! in post #1
Didn't we get rid of segregation a long time ago? This is a terrible idea. Cruisers I can see wanting to get rid of, but at least drifting is a competitive motorsport. Also what you are probably most annoyed about are the improvement suggestions from cruisers,which would still end up in the same forum. Even if racers and drifters are segregated, drifters will still be disrespected in the racing forum with ignorant generalizations like the word d0riftzorz (which i challenge someone to find actually said by a drifter not in regards to a racing vs.drifting thread) and will still end up in flame wars. Hell we have a whole little civil rights movement here!

I don't really understand, is it the discussion of upcoming drift events that pisses you off? what exactly is it? The only issues I have seen are in drift vs race threads such as "what the fascination with drifting?"
Quote from flymike91 :Didn't we get rid of segregation a long time ago? This is a terrible idea. Cruisers I can see wanting to get rid of, but at least drifting is a competitive motorsport. Also what you are probably most annoyed about are the improvement suggestions from cruisers,which would still end up in the same forum. Even if racers and drifters are segregated, drifters will still be disrespected in the racing forum with ignorant generalizations like the word d0riftzorz (which i challenge someone to find actually said by a drifter not in regards to a racing vs.drifting thread) and will still end up in flame wars. Hell we have a whole little civil rights movement here!

I don't really understand, is it the discussion of upcoming drift events that pisses you off? what exactly is it? The only issues I have seen are in drift vs race threads such as "what the fascination with drifting?"

Last time I checked, this has nothing to do with the colour of anyone's skin, but merely their voluntary (ab)use of what is actually a racing simulator. The fact that the physics are realistic enough for alternative uses to be popular is testament to LFS, but that doesn't detract from what it's primary purpose is, and what we should (in theory) be here for.

I suspect that the idea for separating cruisers and drifters from the rest of us isn't the sheer volume of them, just that one cruiser asking for "police chases plz" or a dorifto driver saying "more lock on XRT, plz" causes approximately 8× more annoyance than a racer with a perhaps inappropriate but well-intended improvement suggestion.

Personally I'm sick of all the cruising and drifting aspects of LFS. I don't want to read about it, I don't want it taking up screen space that I have to look at or scroll past. And yes, I called it dorifto. Is that disrespecting them? Probably. Do I care? Not in the slightest.

Cruising servers I've used occasionally, albeit only when I'm too drunk to race without being a liability (and yet even with a bottle of wine inside me, I have better car control than pretty much everyone I meet on a cruise server). But the twelve year olds bossing people around like everyone else is ten years old gets tiring. Maybe they do it because that's how old they actually are.

So yes, I can see exactly why it's been suggested segregating the doriftos and cruisers, and I agree with it. It's not "disrespecting" them because of their preference (is it coz i iz black? [/AliG]) , it's just they don't have anything to do with the primary function of LFS.

Even better, give them their own, separate improvements suggestion forum, where all their silly requests can go, and the two forums can peacefully exist in a happy equilibrium of mediocrity and pointlessness.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG