The online racing simulator
LFS Beginner's Cup Round 1 FULL RACE
(37 posts, started )
Here it is !

Currently only on Google Video, I'll upload a full-quality .mov downloadable in the next few days.

http://video.google.com/videop ... 560574515371179&hl=en

Commentary by me, recorded in Audacity. Video Captured with Fraps, converted to mpg with Tsunami MPEG Encoder, and then converted to DV in MPEG Streamclip so it could be edited in Final Cut Express. Graphics built in The GIMP.

d
Yes Ty!!!

*Edit* Just watched it awesome!!!!!!

Great battle for second there! I can't wait for Round 2! ! Round 2 was actually more fun because of the close racing I've had with hyntty at one point. The broadcast should also be interusting with the multiple crashs and yellow flags :P

Great commentator. (One little thing, you didn't show the laptime when I got the fastest lap but only when I got the 1 34.65 (I think))
Was really cool watching this race.
i wanna see round 3 with me in it lol
Ugh don't even remind me of those ugly baby and junior FWD's.
nice job - this must have taken you forever.

round 2 should be pretty funny... my round 1 performance was pretty forgettable. In fact all my races were forgettable!

p.s. I totally didn't spin that guy on the straight he made contact with someone else...
#6 - J@tko
Absolutely fantastic

Loved every minute of it.

I'm gonna do a squidhead-style review:

Pros:
  • Commentary was great
  • You went really mad when I overtook someone
  • The graphics are fantastic
  • I didn't crash
  • Framerate was good
Cons:
  • Quality was crap (waiting for the HQ version ) (not ur fault :razz
  • Maybe the engine noise was a bit loud compared to your voice. You might want to change it a bit.
  • Don't pick my on-board lap next time
  • That was my best performance of the season
Message from Joe - if you pronounce his name wrong at the next race, he's going to make u do the whole lot again

Fantastic Deko, as I said on msn, if I'd the money, I'd have paid for that sort of quality. You can really tell the massive effort you've put into that with all the little details and things like that.

In the words of Murray Walker: 'Fantastic, absolutely incredible!'

I seriously cannot wait for Round 2 and the rest of the videos. Will make my revision over the next few weeks much more enjoyable
Nobody can deny the massive amount of effort that has obviously gone into this production and it's great to see more people making broadcast videos.

Quote from J@tko :
Pros:
  • Commentary was great
  • You went really mad when I overtook someone
  • The graphics are fantastic
  • I didn't crash
  • Framerate was good

I have to disagree about the framerate here - I found it a little choppy at some points. Although I'm not sure whether it's just my computer but I don't think so.

Also, you should buy Fraps to get rid of that watermark - it takes away a lot of the professionalism of the video! Or zoom in slightly to cut the watermark out. Your choice!

It's tough working alone on a commentary but you did pretty well with it. But if you have someone in your league who is as enthusiastic as you are, I'd recommend that you team up. It will make it more enjoyable for you, and the viewers because you can get different views of the story and such.

The overlay graphics were incredibly sweet!

Brilliant effort
#8 - J@tko
Quote from Mp3 Astra :
I have to disagree about the framerate here - I found it a little choppy at some points. Although I'm not sure whether it's just my computer but I don't think so.

I think it might be that I don't notice such things.

Or that my idea of a good framerate (crap pc ) is different to yours.

A good framerate to me is one that means I can drive without it being like blinking for 10 seconds at a time

EDIT: BTW, on the commentary theme, if any member of the LFSBC people would like to join in, just PM me or Dekojester
The hardest part was the boredom of converting. Sit and wait while the programs do their thing.

Once I get money back, I'll probably buy FRAPS.

http://www.avwproductions.com/ ... C_Round1_RaceCoverage.mov

Click that and download the HQ version (or at least I call it HQ.) It's on my student org's server because it was gonna take too long to upload to FileFront, and was too big for others.

d
Quote from J@tko :^ Warning - it's 989 MB

If ur getting peak time download speeds like I am, don't bother (wait for another time!)

I will attempt another export to a format that others tend to like. I tried to export to WMV but it was fecked up...un rendered and carp like that.

d
Quote from dekojester :I will attempt another export to a format that others tend to like. I tried to export to WMV but it was fecked up...un rendered and carp like that.

d

www.divx.com

Divx converter will see you through.
DUDE U SHOULD COMMENTATE FOR F1

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS

IM TRYING TO ENTHERSIZE IT!!
Really nicely done.

Seems like you've got a little ways to go with getting comfortable commentating, but the presentation was great.
Quality of the HQ version is great.

Just put it onto my PSP and going to watch it before bed tonight

And it's only 98 MB

So I can fit all 8 on!
I thought it was like 900mb?

How much storage space is there on a PSP?

Edit: w00t - The file is DivX - Straight onto my MP3 player without conversion !
Also, if anyone wants to do commentary in any non-English language, lemme know and I'll uppy a natsound only version of the .mov for you to call over.

d
Very good for a first production

The only improvement suggestions I can think of would be:

1. A time gap overlay like they use on TV (e.g. the time diff between 2nd & 3rd pos)
2. Increase the low res video quality as it is very poor. Remember it might be the first time that someone watches a LFS race.
Commentator pls get excited when the action is happening . The 1st lap & the last, where the exciting bits were, you just rambled on in the same tone of voice like we were watching golf or something. (no offence)
Quote from anttt69 :Very good for a first production

The only improvement suggestions I can think of would be:

1. A time gap overlay like they use on TV (e.g. the time diff between 2nd & 3rd pos)
2. Increase the low res video quality as it is very poor. Remember it might be the first time that someone watches a LFS race.
3. Commentator pls get excited when the action is happening . The 1st lap & the last, where the exciting bits were, you just rambled on in the same tone of voice like we were watching golf or something. (no offence)

1 - I will start doing time gap per sector. I'm trying to figure out a way to do times in Final Cut that's easy. Instead of building images with each second place.

2 - The source file for the low res was an .flv. The .mov source was too big to upload, and didn't. The mp4 I created had an annoying pulse every 1.5 seconds or so.

3 - I recorded the commentary in my dorm room, on a night when the residents were 99% sober. Didn't want to get too loud and make them think I'm insane. But yes, I will get more excited once I learn the names fully. That's what always happens.

d
Quote from JO53PHS :I thought it was like 900mb?

How much storage space is there on a PSP?

1. It was. DivX minimised it big time.
  2. Depends how big ur stick is Mine's 1GB.
Quote from J@tko :
  1. It was. DivX minimised it big time.
  2. Depends how big ur stick is Mine's 1GB.

Hahahah Owned by my 30gb HDD
Guys, please don't expect the same, um, quality of racing in Round 2. It was all road cars @ Fern Bay Rallycross. It was like the F1 1998 Spa start, all through the race.

All my fault, we had LX6s, FZ5s and RAC's around the tightest and slipperiest track in LFS, with 20 beginner's at the wheel.

WTF was I thinking?

But, some of the racing in the latest rounds was fantastic - I'm really looking forward to the FOX round - we had some great racing there.
Quote from J@tko :Guys, please don't expect the same, um, quality of racing in Round 2. It was all road cars @ Fern Bay Rallycross. It was like the F1 1998 Spa start, all through the race.

All my fault, we had LX6s, FZ5s and RAC's around the tightest and slipperiest track in LFS, with 20 beginner's at the wheel.

WTF was I thinking?

But, some of the racing in the latest rounds was fantastic - I'm really looking forward to the FOX round - we had some great racing there.

I've seen some of this. I imagine the commentator might explode

(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG