The online racing simulator
Racing
(35 posts, started )
Racing
Hey,
Usually I drift, or drag, but at the moment I'm really into real racing, mostly with the XRR.
I guess alot of people will say 'Good riddence to drifting' but hey... Drifting and racing both show forms of skill.
I usually go on the CD server, but whenever its mid race (usually 10 - 20 lap races) it's rather boring waiting for the next race, so does anyone know any REAL racing servers, that has clean racers etc?

I know some of you will say CTRA but I find it extremely dificult to get past the first server due to crappy cars and crappy drivers :P

Thanks in advance,
Nath
It's not called grip racing, it's just racing. Or do you call drifting 'lack of grip sliding'?
Quote from tristancliffe :It's not called grip racing, it's just racing. Or do you call drifting 'lack of grip sliding'?

Well I didnt know what to call it when its with XRR's.
I guess i'm just used to drifting.
#4 - SamH
You've finished one race on CTRA and given up. I'm really not being mean when I say this, but I think you should stick to slide skidding. Racing requires more commitment than you're willing to give.

Quote from CTRA site :Nathan Robinson, from England, has competed in 13 races and driven 34 laps since the launch of the CTRA X-System. In this time, he has caused 59 yellow flags, which is a ratio of 100%. This is a seriously high yellow flag ratio indeed.

Nathan has won 0 races and reached the podium, in second or third place, a further 0 times in 13 races, while retiring from an additional 12 races. This means Nathan has completed a very worrying 7% of the races in which he's participated. During those races, Nathan has achieved no fastest laps. Nathan is currently ranked 2,915th internationally and 389th in England. He does not currently hold any lap records.

Quote from SamH :You've finished one race on CTRA and given up. I'm really not being mean when I say this, but I think you should stick to slide skidding. Racing requires more commitment than you're willing to give.

It's usually because i get totaled in like the 5'th lap :/
I'm willing to put commitment in, and i dont want to stick to drifting.. I want to experience more in lfs... rather than being limited to sliding cars and not really racing.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :It's usually because i get totaled in like the 5'th lap :/
I'm willing to put commitment in, and i dont want to stick to drifting.. I want to experience more in lfs... rather than being limited to sliding cars and not really racing.

You don't have to specifically choose between either. Just do what you want! If you want to have a serious race, then go have a serious race. If not, go drift.
Quote from mcintyrej :You don't have to specifically choose between either. Just do what you want! If you want to have a serious race, then go have a serious race. If not, go drift.

I'm not choosing between neither, thats my point, I dont want to limit myself.
The slow cars in CTRA 1 make races more tighter, but also easier and thus most of the grid tend to overdrive and not consider others enough.

You have finished 1 / 13 races on CTRA, causing about two yellow flags per each driven lap and are looking for cleaner racing? No offense, but the best and easiest way to have cleaner races is to look in the mirror and think about what are you doing wrong.
Lol "Grip"
Quote from NathanRx-7 :
I usually go on the CD server, but whenever its mid race (usually 10 - 20 lap races) it's rather boring waiting for the next race, so does anyone know any REAL racing servers, that has clean racers etc?

CD2 is better (but you need to set a laptime on CD1 to access it) in the evenings when there are people on it. The GTR cars are not suitable for learning to race with though.

Quote :
I know some of you will say CTRA but I find it extremely dificult to get past the first server due to crappy cars and crappy drivers :P

No it's not, some real muppets manage to get licenses but the higher you go the better the filtering system works. The more you race the less mistakes you'll make the faster you'll become and you'll be better able to avoid trouble.

Quote from NathanRx-7 :It's usually because i get totaled in like the 5'th lap :/

Racing requires discipline and experience there are plenty of people who moan about getting taken out, and yes sometimes there's nothing you could do, but the majority of time the same people will get 'taken out' each race. Maybe if they just gave more room to those drivers who are clearly an accident waiting to happen and backed off for yellow flags they'd finish a lot more races. I was racing on a certain single seater server where I had a spin/been hit I'm not sure but I was facing the wrong way on the start/finish straight at South City, my car was on the racing line but blindingly obvious with more than enough time for drivers to change line. I waited where I was for a car to pass me but it just drove straight into me, the guy felt he had been hard done by because I hadn't telepitted, he just assumed that I would shift + S so he could drive straight through where my car was, no wonder some people struggle to finish
I dunno, in all honesty, I don't see how people can't finish in Race 1, it seems no matter where I start on the grid, I can finish races. The only thing I can say in Race 1 is maybe as a drifter, try the XFG because you could be getting yourself into trouble with some poor RWD habits.
Quote from frokki :The slow cars in CTRA 1 make races more tighter, but also easier and thus most of the grid tend to overdrive and not consider others enough.

You have finished 1 / 13 races on CTRA, causing about two yellow flags per each driven lap and are looking for cleaner racing? No offense, but the best and easiest way to have cleaner races is to look in the mirror and think about what are you doing wrong.

As I said before, there are alot of pileups on race 1

Quote from dawesdust_12 :I dunno, in all honesty, I don't see how people can't finish in Race 1, it seems no matter where I start on the grid, I can finish races. The only thing I can say in Race 1 is maybe as a drifter, try the XFG because you could be getting yourself into trouble with some poor RWD habits.

Yes I know, as I'm used to drifting i tend to have RWD habits. Only on CTRA though, I'm doing fine on CD

Quote from AstroBoy :Lol "Grip"

Thats not helpful.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :As I said before, there are alot of pileups on race 1

Well I watched you for a bit on CD1 and as I said to you on the server trying to race the GTR cars isn't a good way to start racing seeing as you can't drive them cleanly at a reasonable pace yet. Slower cars would be far better for you atm.

I don't think you should really moan about pile ups on Race 1 given the fact I saw you crashing out before the first corner on CD1
Quote from ajp71 :Well I watched you for a bit on CD1 and as I said to you on the server trying to race the GTR cars isn't a good way to start racing seeing as you can't drive them cleanly at a reasonable pace yet. Slower cars would be far better for you atm.

I don't think you should really moan about pile ups on Race 1 given the fact I saw you crashing out before the first corner on CD1

Nah that was a bad run :P

Ask one of the [CD] members, I'm not doing badly.
I'm not a perfect driver yet, but i'm not bad neither.
And the crash at the first corner of the CD server.. well.. EVERYONE crashed then not just me, and it wasent cause of me neither . Really bad run.
#15 - Jakg
I think the reason us "regulars" get on fine in Race 1 is because after so many miles (ie almost everyone in this thread has done 30k plus) you can see what's gonna happen because you've seen it happen so many times. I usually get a sixth sense and can just FEEL an accident is going to happen (probably just intuition from sub-consciously watching other cars) and can avoid it. Also, i've been in a fair few LFS accidents and can react - ie in some cases you need to actually keep controlling the car while the accident is happening, to act on the situation during the accident rather than to re-act to the situation after the accident as often that's too late.
Quote from Jakg :I think the reason us "regulars" get on fine in Race 1 is because after so many miles (ie almost everyone in this thread has done 30k plus) you can see what's gonna happen because you've seen it happen so many times. I usually get a sixth sense and can just FEEL an accident is going to happen (probably just intuition from sub-consciously watching other cars) and can avoid it. Also, i've been in a fair few LFS accidents and can react - ie in some cases you need to actually keep controlling the car while the accident is happening, to act on the situation during the accident rather than to re-act to the situation after the accident as often that's too late.

Yeah I understand that, and it's pretty easy to avoid most accidents, but people who are completely new to s2 mostly go to CTRA, as its so popular, and theres alot of full on pileups...
I'm sure CTRA Race 1 has it's faults (I tend not to visit much, just what I've heard), but if you can't/won't handle the beginner CTRA server then I doubt you'll manage anywhere else. Race1 attracts lots of newbies and n00bs, but ultimately the licensing system makes people accountable for their actions, unlike most other servers.

Besides, I've just been briefly watching it on LFS Remote, and the racing on Race1 looks pretty damn clean and of a high standard right now. Get yourself on there.
Quote from Jakg :I think the reason us "regulars" get on fine in Race 1 is because after so many miles (ie almost everyone in this thread has done 30k plus) you can see what's gonna happen because you've seen it happen so many times. I usually get a sixth sense and can just FEEL an accident is going to happen (probably just intuition from sub-consciously watching other cars) and can avoid it. Also, i've been in a fair few LFS accidents and can react - ie in some cases you need to actually keep controlling the car while the accident is happening, to act on the situation during the accident rather than to re-act to the situation after the accident as often that's too late.

Jack, tell me about it. With most reports I've dealt with on the CTRA, I can usually feel an accident happening with a driver, just by watching how they go through the preceding laps to their incident. Driving style can tell a lot about a driver. If they're rough around the edges, you can almost predict something happening, whereas if they're just slow, but still trying, you know that they're doing fine.

I've seen many cases of both, where a driver creates incidents just by being all over the place, but I've also seen drivers avoid accidents, simply by being respectable and driving within their own limits and comfort.
CTRA Race 1 can be pretty dirty sometimes, depends on wether you meet the bad guys. Also still not everyone understands that some T1 are pretty dangerous places to pass at the start of the race(ie. Fe Green layout).

I remember once racing at bl rallyx and there were 2 guys there from same team. One would be slowing you down, blocking very very dirty(Like you and him are in the inside and then the guy sudennly brakes), so the other one would catch up. When the other one would catch up the one at front would again do dirty things on you, and the friend of him from behind would push you very dirty out of the corner. Shit like this happens, and it's very annoying.

I also wish it was possible to advance to Silver class a bit faster. I'm usually only gettting about 30-40 points for each race if I remember correctly + eventually some bonus for fastest lap. I don't have that much time to collect points and would like to race some TBO class or GTR. Ofcourse there are other servers too, but for some reason If I want to race I only join CTRA.
Quote from kamkorPL :I remember once racing at bl rallyx and there were 2 guys there from same team. One would be slowing you down, blocking very very dirty(Like you and him are in the inside and then the guy sudennly brakes), so the other one would catch up. When the other one would catch up the one at front would again do dirty things on you, and the friend of him from behind would push you very dirty out of the corner. Shit like this happens, and it's very annoying.

I certainly hope you reported those idiots.

That's the main problem with CTRA. No live admining. On the other hand. Can a live admin make the right decision on an incident without reviewing the replay? If he happened to see it, then yes. If he didn't see it, who is he supposed to believe?

For live admining to work well you'd need several admins round the clock on a server. Who is going to spend their time looking at other people race 24/7? For no reward for that matter.

The CTRA system is good. It might not get rid of the wrecker instantly but in the end it will. But only if other people use the reporting feature. Several of the CTRA admins that frequent these forums have said that they want people to report incidents.
#21 - SamH
Fair points raised, there.. we don't believe that an admin can make a fair decision on the spot on an incident. It does require a review. Sometimes it requires several pairs of eyes - we prefer to get it right first time, if we can.

If there is a wrecker on a CTRA server, you can summon a live admin to the server at almost any time. Go to $admin. We have more or less 24/7 coverage, and are instantly notified if there is a problem in one of the servers.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :I know some of you will say CTRA but I find it extremely dificult to get past the first server due to crappy cars and crappy drivers :P

Eventhough I personally dont have experience on racing THAT much, I am still going to say this:

If your patience is that short, then maybe its not a good idea for you to consider 'REAL' races?
Quote from pine-fin :Eventhough I personally dont have experience on racing THAT much, I am still going to say this:

If your patience is that short, then maybe its not a good idea for you to consider 'REAL' races?

I have patience, I just find CTRA frustrating.

I'm sure CTRA 2 etc are ALOT better but i guess you have to go through a rough/frustrating stage before you can get to the good, fun bit.
But the reason CTRA2 is better is because everyone you're racing against has gone through the learning curve of slower cars on a busy, hectic server - and therefore you can trust them more and have closer racing with fewer accidents. if people were allowed on Race2 that hadn't shown any competence on Race1, then it wouldn't be fun or good. As Sam said, your CTRA stats speak for themselves. I think you're just making excuses now.
Quote from STROBE :your CTRA stats speak for themselves. I think you're just making excuses now.

Agreed. 16 races, 2 finishes, 100% yellow flag ratio.

At the moment you are the problem.

Try starting from the back a few times, let everyone pull away for 2/3 seconds before you go. Let the numpties take each other out at T1, drive through the carnage, keep it on the grey stuff and collect the points.
Don't drive beyond your current abilities. Push a little more each lap as you get used to the car/track. BE PATIENT, don't expect podiums straight away.

It will come. You will learn to anticipate trouble ahead and avoid it. You will get more confident and faster the more you practice.

Stick with it, the racing on the higher servers is in a different ballpark and well worth persevering with the rather tough initiation on server 1 for.

good luck!

Racing
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG