The online racing simulator
Polygamy = Polygamy can be defined as any "form of marriage in which a person [has] more than one spouse." [link]

In the it is all about the term of marriage, which is still considered as religious institute, even if it has a big effect as how the law sees your relationship along with how taxes and moneyflows go. People already are "monogamous" and have quite a wide variety of all kind of kinky stuff going on and the only thing that is limiting these people from getting married is the opposition of the church.

Personally I find it quite obscure that stuff like marriage is decided based on religious "values". Marriage is a law binding contract between two (or more) individuals first and a religious contract comes a distant second, even if it might look the opposite at first glance. By denying marriage you are also denying the priviledges and duties of a marriage from people who have a right for it.

In my view the church can decide what they want as to whether marry or not gay couples, more than two people or horses and texans. As a religious ritual they have the right to make their own calls as a religious ritual. But the views of the church should not be used as guidelines who are allowed to use the legal binding term marriage. Just like religious values should not be used as guidelines when stores can be open, whether to studying stem cells is ok or... oh wait...
Penalty in ANY culture for polygamy...
Several wives = Several Mothers-in-law (and multiple nagging...)

Jeez, at times ONE is bad enough!!!!
#28 - Jakg
iirc the US "accepted" the Mormon religion in the 1800's (when Salt Lake was taken from the Mexicans) on the condition that Polygamy was banned, as they were worried with so many women they would over-run the country with Mormon babies. The Mormons accepted this.

I also don't think that polygamy is an original idea for the Mormons, I thought it was introduced thanks to a "message from God" to their second leader, Joseph Smith.
#29 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :hm did you know most suicide bombers are perpetually single? i suppose having a few guys take all women off the market makes having 72 virgins all that more tempting

Is there rule saying womens can't have two husband?

I think it should work both ways, even it is often expressed men having several wifes because of traditional way.

Agree with Hyperactive
And on the other hand, what if a woman can have many husbands?

Whats good for the Goose?

Not that I agree at all - and there are plenty of animals/birds that have one partner for life.

also I have no problem with Gay couple getting "married", but I don't agree that they have a right to adopt or bring children into the relationship, - there are issues there for me that I'm not sure about.
#31 - Jakg
Quote from Polyracer :also I have no problem with Gay couple getting "married", but I don't agree that they have a right to adopt or bring children into the relationship, - there are issues there for me that I'm not sure about.

There are more Children in care than foster parents - while you may have issues surrounding same sex parents, i'm sure you'd rather that a child actually had a family who loved them rather than stay in care for their childhood
Quote from Polyracer :also I have no problem with Gay couple getting "married", but I don't agree that they have a right to adopt or bring children into the relationship, - there are issues there for me that I'm not sure about.

The general public sees the gay&babies idea as:
1) they'd most likely molest their children
2) the child would be teased by other kids

It is mostly because people just think "but, come on, they're gays". For a gay couple to think about getting a child would be much bigger step than to an man/woman couple because all the stuff related to it. As a gay couple to get a child they'd need to be more committed and deciside about it which can only be better for the child. Because in essence the gay couples' marriages and the possible ability to have a child is seen more evil than a drug addict couple getting "an accident child".

Statistically having two parents does not guarantee good future to a child by any means. 17% of families in Finland are single-parent households and the rest (83%) have both parents (/2). However, the percentage of children taken to custody is 13% from single parents (/1). So looking at this statistic alone, single parent is better for a child than the traditional. Maybe the belief that a child needs both parents for good future and safe home doesn't really show up when you look at the evil statistics .

Sorry, stuff available only in finnish:
/1 http://www.stakes.fi/verkkojul ... perit/T30-2007-VERKKO.pdf
/2 http://www.sosiaalikollega.fi/ ... siakkaita_kannellinen.pdf
#33 - JTbo
I can't accept gays, it is just impossible to me, it is like major fault in big machine, in my eyes.

Still I don't deny that from others, even for me it is true horror if gay couple would have kids, it would mean that in 20 years time I would be locked up from not accepting gays.

It is ok as long as I don't have to see or hear
Quote from JTbo :Is there rule saying womens can't have two husband?

at least in all polygamous religions there is... and then theres that problem that men are much more efficient at mating with several women than the other way around

Quote from Hyperactive :The general public sees the gay&babies idea as:
2) the child would be teased by other kids

certainly true but crappy parents who cant figure out how to raise their children to not become bullies must be one of the worst reasons not to have kids ever

Quote from JTbo :I can't accept gays, it is just impossible to me, it is like major fault in big machine, in my eyes.

seriously you need to work on that
#35 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :at least in all polygamous religions there is... and then theres that problem that men are much more efficient at mating with several women than the other way around

seriously you need to work on that

But religion should not have to do anything with having multiple partners at same time?

I don't need to work on that, I have right to dislike things I don't like, just same way you have. I can't accept people getting drunk and yelling like mad either, same thing, it is their pleasure that I don't like to know of, same thing with gays.

Those who believe may feel same way of atheists, but same way they should allow them to right to be atheists without forcing atheists to their ways, same with gays, if they try to play their games around me I have bloody every right to get pissed.

Religion for all is not ok, let those enjoy from it that believe.
Gay for all is not ok, let those enjoy from it that are gay.

If I have to accept gays, then I should be allowed to ban gays and religion because of principles of equality and as you can see, that would not be way forward.
Quote from wsinda :
... whereas monogamy isn't just a cultural habit but is ordained by our religion, which is not made up but is rock-solid, scientifically ...
Oh, never mind.

Good point.
Quote from JTbo :I don't need to work on that, I have right to dislike things I don't like, just same way you have.

you do but you dont have a right to insult them in such a blanket way like you did and neither do you have the right to bring your own feelings into decissions on their rights... although luckily youre not in politics so it doenst really matter
not to mention that anything youve said on the matter so far was completely irrational

Quote :If I have to accept gays, then I should be allowed to ban gays and religion because of principles of equality and as you can see, that would not be way forward.

pardon? that made no sense at all
#38 - JTbo
Quote from Shotglass :you do but you dont have a right to insult them in such a blanket way like you did and neither do you have the right to bring your own feelings into decissions on their rights... although luckily youre not in politics so it doenst really matter
not to mention that anything youve said on the matter so far was completely irrational

pardon? that made no sense at all

You need to think it bit more
that doesnt even make sense grammatically
Quote from JTbo :It is ok as long as I don't have to see or hear

Advice: buy a blindfold and earplugs. You're gonna need them.
Quote from JTbo :Those who believe may feel same way of atheists, but same way they should allow them to right to be atheists without forcing atheists to their ways, same with gays, if they try to play their games around me I have bloody every right to get pissed.

Do you have problems with gays constantly attempting to mate with you - is that what you're saying? Can you not go out to the shops without a conga line of hunky men with moustaches desperately trying to hump you?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Do you have problems with gays constantly attempting to mate with you - is that what you're saying? Can you not go out to the shops without a conga line of hunky men with moustaches desperately trying to hump you?

- Post of the week -

That mental picture will keep me laughing all day !:huepfenic
Hopefully we'll be rid of religion in the next 2-300 years, then this will all be looked apon as one of those "the earth is flat" type of thingies. I'll have my brain frozen til then.
#44 - wark
No woman really wants their husband to also be married to another woman. Not even the brainwashed ones. The ones that allow it do so out of religious obligation, and/or because men have more power; they're stuck.

This is why it is illegal.

Find some women who are honestly okay with what's really going on, and then ask yourself if they should get a tax break for it.
#45 - wien
Quote from wark :No woman really wants their husband to also be married to another woman.

Who are you to speak for every woman on earth? How can you completely rule that out? As long as they don't bother anyone else and they are all consenting adults I don't see why we as a society have any business dictating how they live their lives?
#46 - wark
Quote from wien :Who are you to speak for every woman on earth? How can you completely rule that out? As long as they don't bother anyone else and they are all consenting adults I don't see why we as a society have any business dictating how they live their lives?

Just giving you the authentic American reasoning for its illegality, which is better than you can do.
#47 - JTbo
Quote from thisnameistaken :Do you have problems with gays constantly attempting to mate with you - is that what you're saying? Can you not go out to the shops without a conga line of hunky men with moustaches desperately trying to hump you?

Let's say that even one occurance would be one too many

But encountering gays at work, if they don't bring it up constantly there is no problem, same as with religion, those who believe don't need to bring it up constantly.

Only way to let everyone enjoy their level of sickness (whatever it is, let it be eg. sickness of Normal), is to not bring own habits and ways up to others and forcing others act as they would believe or something like that.

Should not be too hard to understand, even I can't write perfect sentences, actually I don't even want to, I have better things to do
Quote from wark :No woman really wants their husband to also be married to another woman.

My wife would be over the moon ecstatic if I were married to another woman....well, ANY other woman except her!
Quote from Bladerunner :My wife would be over the moon ecstatic if I were married to another woman....well, ANY other woman except her!

ROFL

Hmm... Could there be such a thing as a Gay polygamist?

LOL Good story for a movie. In frontier America, In Utah territory, a man takes 4 wives, to cover an increasingly aggressive desire to bed with one of the many cowpokes that stroll thru town during the big cattle drive. We could call it - Brokeback Osmonds.
Quote from JTbo :Let's say that even one occurance would be one too many

But encountering gays at work, if they don't bring it up constantly there is no problem, same as with religion, those who believe don't need to bring it up constantly.

I've never had a gay person who I've worked with constanly bring it up. Infact most of the time I usually find out from someone else. Apart from the camp ones, they're just annoying. The only place a gay man is proberly going to try and hit on you is in a gay club.

Quote from JTbo : Only way to let everyone enjoy their level of sickness (whatever it is, let it be eg. sickness of Normal), is to not bring own habits and ways up to others and forcing others act as they would believe or something like that.

Just the same as above, people don't go round forcing others to like thier sickness in my experince (unless its trainspotting).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG