The online racing simulator
Just a Thought
(58 posts, started )
Quote :We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

I still do this.
Good story to illustrate. A mom let her 9-year-old son ride the New York City subway alone, because he really wants to.
Quote :Long story short: My son got home, ecstatic with independence.

Reaction from others:
Quote :Half the people I've told this episode to now want to turn me in for child abuse. As if keeping kids under lock and key and helmet and cell phone and nanny and surveillance is the right way to rear kids. It's not. It's debilitating -- for us and for them.

Wierd thing is, its 10am on a friday here, halfway through a school holiday. Just been to the shops, No children around what so ever. Good from my point of view cause i hate the little sods, but back in the day....
#29 - SamH
Quote from fragile_dog :Wierd thing is, its 10am on a friday here, halfway through a school holiday. Just been to the shops, No children around what so ever. Good from my point of view cause i hate the little sods, but back in the day....

That's because the kids actually went back to school last Monday
Quote from SamH :That's because the kids actually went back to school last Monday

Not here they didnt..I STILL got Emmy under my feet until the 21st April!

However, I was teh kruel and meen father this morning!... Made her get up at 2 am and come to Gatwick with me :/
I was born in 1980 and we were poor, so even when some of that stuff was around we didn't have it! I've seen the email before though.

I can't help but thinking that kids might actually be better off if they got up to the same things that my friends and I did when we were young. They certainly couldn't get much worse.

I tell ya, my kids sure as hell won't get away with the crap that this lot does now. I didn't need that much discipline when I was a kid and my lot won't either. I am the master of psychological warfare
#32 - Jakg
Quote from fragile_dog :Wierd thing is, its 10am on a friday here, halfway through a school holiday. Just been to the shops, No children around what so ever. Good from my point of view cause i hate the little sods, but back in the day....

It's not a School Holiday in most places - some Schools are off now because of an early easter (ie one week off then then a week off later rather than having a full 2 week break).

Either way I'm posting in the middle of my IT lesson :shhh:
Quote from SamH :That's because the kids actually went back to school last Monday

Not quite - A large number of Schools (round here at least) went back on Tuesday as Monday was a teacher training day.
#33 - SamH
Kids! Bloody part-timers!
#34 - Jakg
*starts work on my second Applied Science report to try to match my other 50-page 13,000 word one*

The one good thing about a Job - usually when you get in, it's over, but when you get in from School you've always got work to do and you always know that you could just get those extra few marks...

And then you realise you've done nothing but type a retarded essay about the industrial processes used by Muntons PLC until 2 AM in the Morning.

I'm either working, doing my eBay stuff or seeing my girlfriend - i have no time!

(The last bit was aimed at Sam to show the reason I haven't been in TS is because I have no time NOT because I dislike any members of UKCT - your all great!)
12 April, 1985. Have an older brother (1983) and younger sister (1987). My father bought my brother and me a Sega Master System in '88 and an NES a couple years later. Never really played well with other kids and spent all my time either playing video games or riding my bicycle. Although, I did play football (soccer) in the morning before school started and during recess.

18 years later, I guess not much has changed. I have a good group of friends now and work full time but still spend most of my free time on my computer or on my motorcycle.
Makes me laugh, Bladdy posted that up on the internet...on a forum in which he plays a game on his Personal Computer.

If it was still the 80s, all you would have is your Bus.

If I'm honest, I wish I was an 80's child, but the fact of the matter is, we are much, much, much better off now that what we were, despite living in this Nanny state!

Jakg, the reason you carry on when you get home is because you are only at school for 6 hours, 5 less hours than what I'm at work. If I would snap my bosses hand off if I could do 6 hours at work then 4 hours in the comfort of my own home. I have no time either. I start work at 1pm, finish at 1am, with no breaks and then I scrub myself like mad in the bath for an hour, by the time I get into bed, its 2:30am, and by the time I actually get to sleep its 3am/3:30am, then after a good nights/mornings kip, I wake up again at 12, get ready for work then start again at 1pm. Give me school any day
#37 - JTbo
Quote from Bladerunner :Somebody sent me this, and after reading it my thoughts were:
How VERY true!!!

I often think how much better life it was before mid/late 80's did kick in, after that things have gone wrong so badly, already in 70's there was changes to worse.

Also before it has been lot easier for being good parent, today it is quite difficult.

Jakg, it is soon impossible to find a job like what you did describe, today you have to learn and study after work day, so that you can keep your job...

edit:
My work day, it is different from most, but this is how next week goes:
At Saturday, I do laundry, prepare car and any other stuff for Sunday.
At Sunday, I pack week's clothes and other stuff and carry all that to car, around 2pm I start driving to my destination where I will be around 5 hours later. Sunday evening I go trough material, prepare classroom of computers and so on.
Weekdays I wake up around 6am get quick shower and start my day, students leave around 3pm and I do paperwork, prepare next day, clean up class room a bit and solve any problems with computers that may occur, have quick dinner somewhere which I always need to find out as city is always new to me, so after all is done I can go to sleep and repeat procedure.
At Friday, it is all that + I need to pack all computers and other stuff to car, drive to home (again 5 hours and I can start driving around 5-6pm), unpack all again from car and find light from fridge, go hungry to bed, cursing that I forgot to go shop.

Travelling times varies a bit, 2 to 16 hours, depending how far destination is.

Now top of this, I still need to study in university = several hours a day reading, I need to be customer support and chief of IT department of company I work for + service car and maintain/restore a house.

School is hard? Sorry, I have to laugh on that one
I honestly wish I'd been born in the early 20th century. We knew what work was. We knew what graft was. We knew what fear and death was. We knew what suffering was. The world was an exciting, changing place. People valued each other more (because the liklihood of war meant they might not be around for much longer). Car were driven by men in their Sunday best, and the ones that raced were fearsomely quick, but also fearsomely dangerous... Women dressed nicely. Rich men stayed in dinner for an extra half hour to discuss politics, finances and smoke cigars. Poorer men got on with life, and treated everyone, rich or poor, old or young with respect.

Yes, that's when I'd prefer to have lived. Not in this day and age with stupid children, lazier people, pretending they know stuff they don't have a clue about, whining about doing work, without understanding the value of money. It's a miserable period in human existence. What we need is a good world war and a huge global recession to bring back some values.
#39 - JTbo
Quote from tristancliffe :It's a miserable period in human existence. What we need is a good world war and a huge global recession to bring back some values.

I'm afraid so, can't find how else this stupidity would be derailed.
Quote from JTbo :I'm afraid so, can't find how else this stupidity would be derailed.

Give it time, Rome wasn't built in a day
#41 - Jakg
Quote from JTbo :Jakg, it is soon impossible to find a job like what you did describe, today you have to learn and study after work day, so that you can keep your job...

School is hard? Sorry, I have to laugh on that one

I'm not saying that it's harder than a job, i'm just saying it's not like the "halycon days" that you remember it to be - all over the press are damning headlines of "GCSE's are easier than ever" etc which means that people (or should I say my parents and their Daily Mail reading friends) instantly assume that all I do is dos around all day.

I just want to say that, for me at least, I find School hard because I never "switch off" from it.

Perhaps I just had an odd upbringing (i say odd, NOT hard - i'm not one of those whiny "oh my life is so hard..." people, btw) with my rather disjointed family.
#42 - JTbo
Quote from Jakg :I'm not saying that it's harder than a job, i'm just saying it's not like the "halycon days" that you remember it to be - all over the press are damning headlines of "GCSE's are easier than ever" etc which means that people (or should I say my parents and their Daily Mail reading friends) instantly assume that all I do is dos around all day.

I just want to say that, for me at least, I find School hard because I never "switch off" from it.

Perhaps I just had an odd upbringing (i say odd, NOT hard - i'm not one of those whiny "oh my life is so hard..." people, btw) with my rather disjointed family.

Well, work is same and in addition you need to study also so instead of just studying or working those both are on all time, you can't switch off from any of them and if one is not able to accept it being part of life, it can have drastic results.

It is just how life is, there is no such thing as own time, it is working studying, eating, sleeping and sometimes, small brief moment of rest which is cut short by work quite likely.
I'm 16 and quit school for working, till now not a single piece of regret, i remember when i was 6 driving my pedal tractor after that we bought a 160cc 4-stroke gocart and what then happened, i started to play Rally championship 2000 on PC and that kinda was the start of my gaming life
You reckon the 80's generation has seen alot of change I often marvel at the exploits of my parents

They were born in the forties.
And have seen the stedy progression of change from the days before electricity was common place and horsepower was the number of horses pulling their cart to our current era and along the way they have somehow managed to keep up with it all
Whilst I think the exams and testing of younger people has got easier, at GCSE, A-Level and Degree level (and I admitted as such when I was doing them), I think that there is more and more homework given out, which takes its tolls in other ways.

And homework is a bit silly really in my opinion, because most jobs don't give you homework (although you can choose to carry on afterwards), and it just ruins the family life they could otherwise be having (assuming the parents aren't slackers that let their child watch TV or play on computers all day long).
Quote from tristancliffe : Not in this day and age with stupid children, lazier people, pretending they know stuff they don't have a clue about, whining about doing work, without understanding the value of money. It's a miserable period in human existence. What we need is a good world war and a huge global recession to bring back some values.

I have to admit i find myself agreeing with more and more of the things you say Tristan. I'm a bit scared about what's happening to me

Anyway, 1971 here and that e-mail is just perfect.
In the summer holidays i virtually disappeared for 6 weeks from dawn to dusk. It truly was a great time to be a kid.
It must be shite growing up in this day and age, though kids today probably don't think so because they don't know what they are missing
1971 here
Wow thats my childhood all summed up in one spot

I remember our first colour TV when I was about 10. It came from a rental store and had push buttons to change channels. (How cool is that!!) We never had one but my friends had the best remote control ever. It was attached by a wire to the cable box and was a lovely brown colour They must have got about 20 channels with that sucker.
#48 - Jakg
Tristan, i'ma little too busy to make a proper reply atm, but all i can say is that your totally wrong.
Quote from tristancliffe :I honestly wish I'd been born in the early 20th century. We knew what work was. We knew what graft was. We knew what fear and death was. We knew what suffering was. The world was an exciting, changing place. People valued each other more (because the liklihood of war meant they might not be around for much longer). Car were driven by men in their Sunday best, and the ones that raced were fearsomely quick, but also fearsomely dangerous... Women dressed nicely. Rich men stayed in dinner for an extra half hour to discuss politics, finances and smoke cigars. Poorer men got on with life, and treated everyone, rich or poor, old or young with respect.

Go Tristan, Go! It's never too early to become a grumpy old man.

Seems like you missed out some of life's best experiences:
- Being cannon fodder in Flanders.
- Having over 10 brothers and sisters, many of whom would live to their twenties.
- Contracting malaria in the colonies, or tuberculosis and pneumonia at home.
- Being bullied and downtrodden at the factory. And frequently fired, too.
- Seeing a car drive by.

Those were the days.
Quote :What we need is a good world war and a huge global recession to bring back some values.

Hold on, Uncle Sam is working hard on it. (Not sure about the "values" part, tho.)
#50 - wark
Quote :First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

If you would even consider bragging about that, I'm not sure you entirely survived...

Just a Thought
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG