The online racing simulator
The blame game : WSBK edition
(15 posts, started )
Ok, I have my personal thoughts on this, but i'd be interested to see how you lot see it.

First the back story.....

Race 1 in Valencia, Max Neukirchner had lead for pretty much the whole race, Carlos Checa put on a MASSIVE spurt to catch him up, and the clip is on the last lap of the race, on the last corner.

Carlos picked his bike up to finish 5th, Max was out.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gsaKdDE4MDc
Checa's fault. Looks like he was way too behind into that corner to even think about such move and as it looks he would have run very wide if he hadn't run into the other bike. It almost looks like Checa's brakes failed, it just looked so desperate move
Yeah, thats what it looks like to me, a desperate torpedo move.

What adds insult to injury is Checa went on the get points while poor old Max got none!!!
Quote from danowat :Yeah, thats what it looks like to me, a desperate torpedo move.

What adds insult to injury is Checa went on the get points while poor old Max got none!!!

And further still, Neukirchner broke his collar bone and was well and truly out of race 2, which he would have started from pole.

A case of the red mist descending in front of his home crowd I'm afraid.
Really silly move. Checa must get some sort of penalty?
It looks liKe Checa's fault, however that camera angle is somewhat misleading...
Nope, Checa has stated in todays press that Max closed the door on him, as far as I know, no penalty.

@Intrepid, indeed, some parts have said Checa had the line, but it just looks like he out braked himself to me....
It certainly looks like a complete take out. But the camera in my opinion doesn't give a full enough picture to make a conclusive judgement.

And no where near enough evidence to enforce a penalty.

You see Checa actually make a move on the inside, but the angle doesn't actually show Checa on the inside, when in fact he may well have been.

It may have been his fault, but this one shot... from one angle isn';t enough. Onboard shots, and a couple of angles are needed to make a conclusive argument for sure.

and it looks to me as if Checa would have made the corner, so I don't think 'out braked' himself totally.
I am not sure he would have made the corner without Max there to "help him round", he went into the corner too hot, because you can see just before he hits Max that he is coming away from the apex when he should be heading towards it.

But yeah, I do agree the angle isn't the best to made a proper judgement.

Still, a silly move to pull.
Checas fault without a doubt, the other rider tried to avoid it.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Checas fault without a doubt, the other rider tried to avoid it.

Checa's fault 'with' doubt. Without a decent angle, some onboard shots, and telemetry there is doubt. If only slightly
Checa's fault, IMHO. I was watching live and totally saw it coming. He had been reeling the guy in for countless laps and wouldn't let go a chance, even marginal. He just wasn't close enough.
That last corner at Valencia is simply evil: off camber, downhill, non straight braking zone... Not the place to be outbraking yourself.
I think that if Max had noticed the same feeling he'd let him go on the inside and just steer around the wreck.
A shame, because Checa's performance was very impressive up to that last corner.
You can clearly see from the video he was never going to make the corner properly. If he had avoided Max he would have run well wide and Max would have got the better drive to take the win.
Checa forgot what brakes are.
Seen it live, i was mad about that. A very bad move. Desperation is not the good way to win a race. But there is a tin line between good decision and desperation. Expecially in SBK
It's clear that Checa would run wide in that turn. His fault expecially because in the end Checa had better bike/tyres/skill and was clearly catching up with Neukirchner who was "slowing down".
Sorry for bad english!
Checa looked like he was going to slide out anyway, but yeah its his fualt.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG