The online racing simulator
error when starting LFS.exe
(14 posts, started )
#1 - webzi
Hi.. I get this error when I try to run LFS.exe.. What can I do?..

// webzi
post your system specs pls also make sure you have latest drivers and directx installed.
And if you have a Windows Server OS installed, you may have to take extra steps to get multimedia apps working (found out the hard way that Win2k3 Server refused to run LFS first-time).

The easiest way to find out if it's a DirectX problem is:
1) Go to Start->Run... and type dxdiag, make sure the option to check for WHQL certificates is checked. Under the Display tab, if you see that any of the three acceleration boxes on the left are disabled, LFS is not working because it requires hardware acceleration.

If that's the case, do this:
1) Go to the Settings tab in Display by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop and selecting Properties.

2) Click on Advanced and you'll get a warning and disabled DirectX features, ignore it and go to the Troubleshooting tab.

3) Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to maximum, accept changes by clicking OK.

4) Go back to dxdiag as you did before, and this time the acceleration boxes in the Display tab are not greyed out. Enable them, close dxdiag and you're good to go.
#4 - webzi
I'm running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 on a 600 mhz computer with 320 mb ram :/
Quote from wezbi :600 mhz

Ouch.

I hate to say that but I think even IF you manage to run LFS, you won't be very happy with it.

I think it's safe to guess you have a onboard- or very old graphics card, which may be the source of you problem. Try to find the latest drivers for it.

Whatever, you should really consider upgrading your system if you intend to play LFS on it.
I don't know for sure myself, but an old friend that's always been tech savvy told me winXP isn't much fun with 512MB of ram or less.
Quote from Breizh :I don't know for sure myself, but an old friend that's always been tech savvy told me winXP isn't much fun with 512MB of ram or less.

Nah, that's fine. I have a laptop with 384MB ram and 1.2GHz running WinXP Pro fine (even LFS runs on there).
My parents have XP installed on my previous machine, 300MHz and 196 mb ram. Voodoo2 rulz. I played LFS first time with that

Graphics error, lemme see...maybe your graphics card doesn't have enough memory...?
#9 - webzi
I just installed the newest version of direct X, And I still get the same error.. damn I hate this machine.. Well now I'll try to install some new GFX drivers
What is your graphic card? LFS is running even on old Riva TNT 2 (25 fps when no car visible), so I think either you don't have drivers installed or you have smth below the Riva
Quote from webzi :Hi.. I get this error when I try to run LFS.exe.. What can I do?..

http://www.gratishost.dk/uploads/fejl.JPG

// webzi

probably it's an al-kaida-worm. infects only systems with danish language support, because of that (small?) newspaper and the comics of moses etc.
:jawdrop:

but sorry, that i could not really help you
#12 - Jakg
Quote from Breizh :I don't know for sure myself, but an old friend that's always been tech savvy told me winXP isn't much fun with 512MB of ram or less.

256 is really cutting it fine, thus dont buy an old xp machine, as when the os came out many of them came with 128 mb ram, which means they can just about run, but are liable to crash if you install anything, secondly, ignore the official specs on the M$ site, they say you can run xp using a 300 Mhz cpu for gods sake, i think you really need 1 Ghz CPU with 256 RAM to actaully have it properly working
there's a computer in my parents basement that i installed xp on when i was in college (it was my storage "server" for my home network). Its a celeron 366mhz with 64mb ram and it runs xp just fine. takes a long time to startup, but after that, it runs just fine. i've advised my parents to hibernate it instead of shutting it down to cut down on boot times. makes a huge difference...less than 30 seconds compared to ~3 minutes.
For the record I believe that the "world record" is getting XP to boot on a machine with 20MB of RAM, running at 8MHz. Granted the installer will not run, but installing on a seperate board and then swapping the HD works.

(See: http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm)

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG