The online racing simulator
Perfect FOV for 15" monitor
(22 posts, started )
Hi. I tried to calculate the perfect FOV. I have a 15" TFT (Yes, you can laugh...) precisely 100 cm away from my head. 15" TFT is 30 cm wide and 23 cm tall, so I get the equation:

FOV-degree = arctan ((30/2)/100)*2 = 17

Doesn't look very realistic...

Next thing I tried was ratio-calculation:

FOV-degree = (30/23)*90 = 117

That didn't look realistic either.

So how should I calculate the perfect (Read: Most realistic) FOV?
okay, the others was faster

edit: tested the tool and i feel like biting into the steering wheel multiplicate it by 4 and it should be good and you see more of the track
#5 - JTbo
There is no such thing as perfect FOV for 15" screen, there is actually not even good FOV for it, even 24" is too small to get any good out of it, imo.

I drive 19" screen at the moment as I'm too lazy to hook up projector, it is like trying to tell which dna is which from blood by bare eye, just not possible to drive anymore.

Beware, when you enjoy from +100" image there is no return anymore, also it is cheaper than 3 big monitors which still won't come even close in image size.
Quote from JTbo :There is no such thing as perfect FOV for 15" screen, there is actually not even good FOV for it, even 24" is too small to get any good out of it, imo.

I drive 19" screen at the moment as I'm too lazy to hook up projector, it is like trying to tell which dna is which from blood by bare eye, just not possible to drive anymore.

Beware, when you enjoy from +100" image there is no return anymore, also it is cheaper than 3 big monitors which still won't come even close in image size.

Ya, I'm waiting for 3pcs 24" widescreens. Bought a new computer (With two gfx-cards and two lpt ports [To hook up two GI])

I know there is no coming back. I tested Gran Turismo (Game sucks, the feeling using three monitor don't) with three monitors, and man, it was freaking me out!
#7 - JTbo
Quote from Gekkibi :Ya, I'm waiting for 3pcs 24" widescreens. Bought a new computer (With two gfx-cards and two lpt ports [To hook up two GI])

I know there is no coming back. I tested Gran Turismo (Game sucks, the feeling using three monitor don't) with three monitors, and man, it was freaking me out!

Just wait till you get to test proper projector setup, you need to TURN your head into corner to see apex Everytime I play with it I get same WOAH experience for few first laps
Quote from JTbo :Just wait till you get to test proper projector setup, you need to TURN your head into corner to see apex Everytime I play with it I get same WOAH experience for few first laps

Sounds awesome!

Pictures?
#9 - JTbo
Man 15" is really small.
Quote from klingon :Man 15" is really small.

I was totally über h4x0r back in the 90's, so don't insult it's feelings..!
Quote from JTbo :Just wait till you get to test proper projector setup, you need to TURN your head into corner to see apex Everytime I play with it I get same WOAH experience for few first laps

Well, mine isn't a "proper" projector setup, but the sense of speed and excitement you get in LFS is greatly magnified when you're sitting a few feet from a 72" projected image. I'll take a picture next time I race it...

...people walking by our dorm often stop and just stare.
Quote from klingon :Man 15" is really small.

I play on my MacBook sometimes.. it's 13,3"
i use 70 and im happy with it (as happy as one can be with a 15" monitor :shy
I use 15" CRT, and I wouldn't have change it to any 20 LCD tbh
BTW, using 90 fov in LFS.
Quote from Fox 2 :I use 15" CRT, and I wouldn't have change it to any 20 LCD tbh
BTW, using 90 fov in LFS.

Trust me, you would want it changed.
80-90fov i think its best
Well, currently using 35 (Or what was the lowest setting..?) FOV. It takes lots of practice, but now I can measure distance between myself and car in front of me (This kind of accidents have dropped to nearly 0%). However, now I have really big problems to see next to me (And that kind of accidents have increased alot. Spotter FTW, if I would get it working...).
wow that's hardcore!
maybe invest in a second and third monitor?
Quote from Not Sure :wow that's hardcore!
maybe invest in a second and third monitor?

Already done that. 24" wide is waiting me in computer store. I have been sick since monday, so I haven't had any chance to get it.

After some testing with 24" + 15", I think of buying two extra 24" wide's. Played Gran Turismo with three monitors, and it was just so freaking-fantastic (Not the game, but the feeling I can see alot more).

Wait a minute? How sick must I be to not get my new pc?! Going to re-schedule friday... *cough* *cough* *sniif* *cough*

Oh well, maybe not yet...

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG