The online racing simulator
sand traps not trappy enough?
(15 posts, started )
i find the sandtraps in S2 to be very lacking. normally the sand traps are there to stop cars from smacking the wall... but the sand traps in this game actually help me vault over the wall, with no loss of speed :| but they are quite useful for dirt drops now and then when i drift...
Come to a halt in one in a GTR car, and see if it's "trappy" enough for your liking
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Come to a halt in one in a GTR car, and see if it's "trappy" enough for your liking

Once your stopped sure, but they dont slow you down quick enough. I woud love to see tires sinking in the sand
Quote from Vendetta :Once your stopped sure, but they dont slow you down quick enough. I woud love to see tires sinking in the sand

real life sandtraps don't slow down fast moving cars either. that's why they're being repllaced with paved run off areas.

speedfreak227
Quote from speedfreak227 :real life sandtraps don't slow down fast moving cars either. that's why they're being repllaced with paved run off areas.

speedfreak227

They dont slow down slow cars either.
At least there is a wall after the sandtrap to stop you Now that slows ya down Or tires before the wall... I'd rather smash my car than kill spectators!
Quote from Klutch :They dont slow down slow cars either.

Yes, but you can use your brakes there
The only use a gravel trap has in slowing anything down is a non moving car. That gets slowed down so much that it hardly appears to be moving . .

One thing about the traps in LFS is the gradient changes (The chicane in As. Nat. On the left of the first jink) get caught on that and you don't have any choice but to pit, unless a fellow racer is kind enough to get you of it. Pain in the arse on a longer race . . .
Getting stuck in the GTRs is only problem with the XRR. As the FXR is awd, you could drive it like 500hp offroad car and the FZR just doesn't stop anywhere...

The thing is that getting stuck in LFS means only that you don't have enough grip for your tires to get it moving. In real life the cars end up stuck when the driver uses too much throttle and the car "sinks" in the sand so the tires don't touch the ground anymore. In LFS the cars don't sink
#10 - Jakg
Quote from Klutch :They dont slow down slow cars either.

no, but you can still steer and brake...
I've got to agree with speedfreak, sand traps are in a similar vein to catch-fencing, an admirable idea but one that works out not to work very well in many situations, for example if you're heading straight-on across a gravel trap, the chances are that the wheels and underside of the car will simply skip over the surface rather like skimming stones at the sea-side, go in sideways and you'll dig in and stop very quickly, so as far as LFS goes it's faily realistic to assume that if you come off at speed it'll be the wall that stops you, where LFS falls down is the sideways issue, i'm not sure it makes that much of a difference if you're sideways or not,

A lot of modern circuits are taking the philosophy that it's better to have a solid runoff so at least you stand a chance of stopping under control, and besides you don't get gravel all over the place when is all goes wrong

Hay bales work quite well tho'
Gravel traps aren't that effective IRL, better than grass but if you enter one headon you'll either dig in and stop quickly or skim straight over into the wall. When cars enter sideways they are more effective the car nearly always digs in although it has a high chance of rolling. The worst bit about gravel traps IRL is you never get out of them, not even in a 4WD car.
not unless your name is Micheal Schumacher, "MARSHAL!! PUSH ME"

Keiran
Next time you get stuck in a bunker try seeing what your Caddy thinks. If you are in striking distance of the green maybe a Sand Wedge. If some thing with a little more punch is needed then prehaps consider a 1 or 2 iron. But giong any higher than than that will just result in your ball hitting the bunker lip and rolling back into the sand trap again. Many a game has been lost with a poorly thought out sand trap rescue. Practice in your childrens sand pit at home taking car to remove all toys, obstructions and children first. Invite your caddy over to your house to retreive the balls for you from next door but two, if you manage to make it that far. Remember, practice makes perfect.
Quote from Hyperactive :Getting stuck in the GTRs is only problem with the XRR. As the FXR is awd, you could drive it like 500hp offroad car and the FZR just doesn't stop anywhere...

The thing is that getting stuck in LFS means only that you don't have enough grip for your tires to get it moving. In real life the cars end up stuck when the driver uses too much throttle and the car "sinks" in the sand so the tires don't touch the ground anymore. In LFS the cars don't sink

I'd praise the day when y'all stuck as well, until then there's only one Titanic = XRR.

Anyway, I think if you go sidewards in LFS into such a trap, you stop faster as well.. maybe its just lose of grip and some glue effect, maybe its some sand trap physics. Who knows but the devs?

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG