The online racing simulator
Shifter Recommendation
(9 posts, started )
Shifter Recommendation
Hi all!
Ive got a Rallye GT Pro Force Feedback ( http://europe.thrustmaster.com ... _prd.php?p=T310&fam=4 ) with the 5 axis and all things nice. Ive also got the 2nd pedal set coming my way, that should give me a clutch and... err.. something else...

I fancy getting a gaited shifter. Can anyone reccomend one?

I love the ACT gear but im not all that clear on the connectivity of it and if it will work simulatiously with my wheel.

Cheers in advance!:eclipseeh
If you want a cheap shifter: buy a force feedback joystick and mod it to a shifter. All you need is some kind of shifter knob that you attach to the joystick. It will work as a real shifter with a great program called FFShifter: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=214673
#3 - Vain
I can only sugest the FF-shifters. Feels great, is loads of fun, very easy to do and very cheap.

Vain
Cheers for the reply.

Ive been looking at these modded joysticks but I really dont have the resources to do it.

Any ideas on ones that are ready to go? Or is anyone selling a modded one?!!

-----
Edit: Actually after looking around a bit it doesnt look too hard to do. Ill have to nabb a joystick off some one. For the mean time the ready made question is still open!!
#5 - Vain
I used my FF-joystick completely unmodded for well over a month. That means: Take joystick out of box, install according to manual, start the joystick-tool, works. Took 5 minutes. No craftsmanship of any sort involved.

Later, when you want to get a better shifting knob, you can buy a knob and plug it into the joystick (takes a screwdriver, 15 minutes and some fiddling, see FF-shifter-thread at rsc, if I remember correctly the Renault shifter knobs fit right in, even without fiddling).

Vain
Im looking through the FFShifter thread and its looking like I really need to nabb a joystick and give it a whirl.
My question with the FFShifter is, can you really bang it around like you would in a real car? How do you all have it mounted so that it's solid enough that you don't have to be super easy on it? I saw someone post pics of their homemade shifter in the hardware section here once. It was basically built with a nice solid metal frame, a tie-rod end as the pivot point, and the h-pattern mounted on the bottom. That thing looked so simple, yet looked like it would feel the most real and take some pounding. It's the best looking example I've seen yet, at least in theory that I could gleem from the pics.
#8 - Vain
1. You don't "bang" the shifter in a real car (if you like your car, that is).
2. Some joysticks are rather loose, f.e. the Logitechs, because they are made to be used two-handed. One hand on the base, one on the stick. So this may need fixing. Go into the kitchen, take the glue strip and fix it. Done.
But it works good without fixing, when you shift with control, like you would in a real car.

Vain
My ebay finger came out and ive baught http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI ... STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 .

Ill give it a shot and i might box it if i get the time and materials.

Ive had a few wheels in the past and I know what "banging" does to them!! However it is very satisfying being able to give a car a good ragging around so there is a good reason for me to try and do it.

Shifter Recommendation
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG