The online racing simulator
Contrast Ratio's
(8 posts, started )
Contrast Ratio's
I have a question I didn't mention in my other thread, about the blur on LCD's, and was hoping someone can explain the technical details I seek. I've been wondering for some time now, why I haven't seen a computer LCD that looks as brilliant as a good HD tv, and I only ever paid attention to resolutions, nothing else. And sorry for back to back threads, I wasn't paying much attention, could have bumped the other..

So a few days ago I was shopping for a new widescreen LCD and I noticed one HP had a contrast ratio of 1000:1, and was 19" widescreen, it looked pretty nice, but there was an acer right next to it, 20" and 800:1 contrast ratio. I honestly couldn't tell the difference, no matter what I did, except that the HP had a lot of motion blur, even tho it was 5ms, so I bought the Acer. I'm very happy with it, but I still don't understand much about contrast ratio. I mean, my monitor looks crisp, very little motion blur compared to the other brands, and I love Acer (Only brand LCD I've ever bought, 4 total) so I'm happy with it, but, taking one look at my friends Vizio HD tv, it just blew my mind, how vivid and brilliant it is, and nearly the same resolution. Is it the contrast ratio that separates PC LCD's from HD TV's? And do they make LCD monitors for PC that look as good as a nice HD tv? I mean, it's incredible how much better the HD tv looked, compared to my new LCD, or any computer monitor I've ever seen...
I know a decent amount about how an LCD works, but I just don't get why the tv's look so amazing. The only thing I can think of is contrast ratio, and if so, can anyone explain the technology behind it? Thanks.

Again my bad for two threads.
In general, you can't really trust the manufacturer specs when it comes to LCD performance (response time, contrast ratio, brightness). They employ all kinds of tricks to get the most favorable number.

IMO, contrast ratio isn't really all that important anyway. What is important is the brightness of black pixels, or in other words, how dark the screen can go. You probably won't see that in the manufacturer specs, though. At the other end of the spectrum, a modern LCD at medium brightness can be painfully bright. This seems unnecessary until you realize that the LCD will become dimmer over time, so all the excess brightness does is extend its life.
Quote from Forbin :IMO, contrast ratio isn't really all that important anyway. What is important is the brightness of black pixels, or in other words, how dark the screen can go.

@Forbin: Well, wait a minute, contrast ratio is directly related to what you just said. Contrast ratio is the measure of the darkest dark to the whitest white that the monitor can produce - so it would be important to you because that's what you just stated you think is important.

@DHRammstein: This measure is important because any monitor can only get to a certain brightness before the light bleeds all over the black areas. You don't usually notice any difference (as you didn't) during the day. At night, or in a dark room, is when it really jumps out at you. If you go into a dark room and turn on your screen and display a black image, you'll notice that obviously the screen is nowhere near black (a bright black). Screen with REALLY HIGH contrast ratios tend to be able to produce a very dark black. That's what the major difference is. HDTV's and such emphasize this because when you are watching a movie, it really makes the movie look better in darker scenes if the TV isn't bleeding light all over the dark bits.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :@Forbin: Well, wait a minute, contrast ratio is directly related to what you just said. Contrast ratio is the measure of the darkest dark to the whitest white that the monitor can produce - so it would be important to you because that's what you just stated you think is important.

Yes, but if the white can go eye burningly bright, then you can still have greyish blacks and end up with a high constrast ratio. Thus, that ratio on its own is insufficient for judging black depth.
Exactly what I was trying to say, Ben. Thanks.
Ah gotcha.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, but if the white can go eye burningly bright, then you can still have greyish blacks and end up with a high constrast ratio. Thus, that ratio on its own is insufficient for judging black depth.

more importantly the quoted contrast ratios are taken at brightness values far too high for general usage and deteriorate quickly if you turn it down to a more sensible 140cd

with good blacks (no such thing on an lcd but anyway) the contrast will stay good at low brightness and you get deeper blacks with movies and games that make use of whiter whites

in other words dont shoot until you see the whites... i mean blacks... wait no

Contrast Ratio's
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG