The online racing simulator
AI still dumb?
(25 posts, started )
AI still dumb?
So I read that patch Y fixed the AI and I figured I'd give LFS another shot. I'm not very good and keep waiting for the AI to get better so I can practice against them before going on line as I hate wrecking people simply because I don't have my car setup right or I don't really know what I'm doing. That being said, if I set up a 20 person race all with AI there is always a big wreck at turn 1 and throughout the race you'll see AI run into each other. I could understand this behaviour if I was on the track since I'm not an experienced racer but the AI should be able to co-exist with other AI drivers only shouldn't it?
#2 - buedi
They are still dumb as bread. You see it also when you do the Training Lessons (Overtake XY Lessons) when they crash into you. It´s really annoying. But then somebody will come and say it´s a Online Simulator
Quote from buedi :They are still dumb as bread. You see it also when you do the Training Lessons (Overtake XY Lessons) when they crash into you. It´s really annoying. But then somebody will come and say it´s a Online Simulator

Thanks for the response. I know its an on line simulator but I'd like to try and be courteous to other drivers and not cause wreck after wreck online until I can imporve against the AI. I don't want the title of wrecker associated with my name.
Perhaps you're just too bloody intelligent, have you ever thought about that?

Pick on something your own size!
So I guess the follow up question would be what's the best way to get better racing in traffic without wrecking people on line since the AI doesn't seem to be the answer?
#6 - heson
AI is now dumb like fish, but before Y it was driving like a blind robot so its a lot better than before.
AI has improved with patch Y, but Scawen was not able to complete due to the deal to get the FBMW (had to be released before XMas). The next incompatable patch should include better AI as well as the new interiors.
Quote from jarmenia :So I guess the follow up question would be what's the best way to get better racing in traffic without wrecking people on line since the AI doesn't seem to be the answer?

Once you get over the first step, you'll soon notice that it wasn't that hard. Just drive slow enough that you can always maintain control of your car, keep your eyes on the map and mirrors, car on the racing line and be predictable with your maneuvers.
AI will always be dumb. They are not humans thus you can not expect them to have human intellect.
Quote from jarmenia :So I guess the follow up question would be what's the best way to get better racing in traffic without wrecking people on line since the AI doesn't seem to be the answer?

You've payed for your S2 licence so why restrict yourself to singleplayer just for the sake of what other people might think?

The fact that you show consideration to other drivers BEFORE you've even gone online shows that you're no idiot and you probably have enough track sense to avoid any real accidents or crashes. If anything the AI should show you about unpredictability within a racing environment, because races don't always go to plan, especially when you have two or more people fighting for a position.

But hey, its all the fun of the fair right?
Just go online and race. Even if you crash, just apologize. This happens all the time.

There are many things you learn online which you can't while playing against the AI.
Quote from The General Lee :AI will always be dumb. They are not humans thus you can not expect them to have human intellect.

that's not true. eventually there will be a pt when ai and people are indistinguishable in games.
Quote from heson :AI is now dumb like fish, but before Y it was driving like a blind robot so its a lot better than before.

More blind ~fish~ caus robots technigly dont have the ability to see caus that lil japanse honda robot its totaly blind most robots move by using radar ore sonar
If you'd like to use the AI for practice against online opponents then practice following a pack of Pro AI in close proximity without hitting them. Being a good racer means you're able to look "through" the other cars and focus on your own lines and braking points while also being able to react to their movements and braking. In other words, you should never be looking AT the other cars but past them.
Jarmenia,

Just go online and do not worry about causing accidents, the very fact you are concerned about this shows that you are a thoughtfull driver. Just pick low populated server to begin with and let people know you are new to online. You will never be branded a wrecker unless you are intentionally wrecking people.

Get online! it's were the fun is
Yeah.. I totally agree... but not looking at the cars before you is very hard and takes much time to learn. Play online, but RESPECT THE BLUE FLAG, and be very very careful wehn you pass someone. Especially in turn 1 after the start. There wont be any problems if you dont push too hard, and if you obey blue flag.
Quote from AlienT. :Jarmenia,

Just go online and do not worry about causing accidents, the very fact you are concerned about this shows that you are a thoughtfull driver. Just pick low populated server to begin with and let people know you are new to online. You will never be branded a wrecker unless you are intentionally wrecking people.

Get online! it's were the fun is

Another option is to try a drift server.

People on drift servers typically don't seem to mind/notice if your grip racing. They also wreck constantly, and can just pick up where they left off...So they tend to worry less about a wreck. You will also get some good practice avoiding OTHER peoples wrecks.

Or join an empty server. I find some one else usually joins up after a bit, and if its just the two of you messing around...and the guy knows your new they won't mind and will likely offer help.

The AI can will let you practice driving around other cars...but if they are on your tail they will run you off the road every time.
Try to understand the AI and how it will work, then try to overtake the AI without crashing (next step without touching) it. This will give you also online a better understanding of how different other drivers might behave etc.
Understanding the lines and moves of your opponent (No matter if artificial or human) is always the first step to a clean overtake.
I've done the same thing, and I've found about 8 AI to be decent in terms of not wrecking off the start. Set them to quick or ok so that they're easy to pass, and try to pass them all without touching. If you tap one, then give him his position back and try again.

If you want to practice getting passed, do the same thing except use a slower car than the AI or add add an intake restrictor or weight to your car.
AI is pretty close to an average player online, both are nearly blind. Only difference is that the average player online will insult you and vote to ban.
Quote from Moonclaw :AI is pretty close to an average player online, both are nearly blind. Only difference is that the average player online will insult you and vote to ban.

Maybe it's just the cars that I've bothered to drive against AIs in but I think they're just too damn slow, (hence the reason I hardly do any off line racing).
Just get online and race! In your first couple of races you could move to the side of the track at the start of the race, let all the others go ahead of you. Then follow them... and weave through the accidents that you will inevitably come across. Its not that hard, you'll see.

If you cause a spill, just say sorry. Most racers are pretty forgiving, and it happens to everyone from time to time. And not every contact you have will be your fault. The attitude you're showing here will help you stay out of trouble.

Go on, do it

PS: But do watch out you're not on the brakes too late. Nobody likes getting rammed into the back.
Quote from Gabkicks :that's not true. eventually there will be a pt when ai and people are indistinguishable in games.

I highly doubt that. but if so then we're most probably doomed

"Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. There are several ways to define intelligence. In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom. " wikipedia
Quote from 510N3D :I highly doubt that. but if so then we're most probably doomed

"Intelligence is an umbrella term used to describe a property of the mind that encompasses many related abilities, such as the capacities to reason, to plan, to solve problems, to think abstractly, to comprehend ideas, to use language, and to learn. There are several ways to define intelligence. In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as creativity, personality, character, knowledge, or wisdom. " wikipedia

So lets see if AIs are intelligent.

capabilities to..
..reason - no
..plan - yes (they always exactly know how much fuel they will need, when to pit etc.)
..solve problems - yes (if that means taking out other AIs, and those AIs ARE actually problems, so yes, that can be considered problem solving.)
..think abstractly - er, yes? (if that means using different lines than the AI line just for the reason of someone being already on the AI line?)
..comprehend ideas - no
..use language - haven't heard anything yet. will get back to you on that.
..learn - yes (after going out 27 times in the same corner, they wont do it again. Due to burnt clutch, being on the roof waiting for AA, or destroyed tires, either way, they won't do it again!)

In some cases, intelligence may include traits such as...
creativity - hell yes (innovative new lines, using the whole track! including barriers, grass, sand and pit line, bumpdrafting the hell out of other AIs etc.)

personality - yes. Im particularly fond of AI 13. :lovies3d:I dont care about its mistakes, it's an AI ffs, i adore its lines, its skin, its carbon emissions...Ok. should stop now.

I think you all agree that character, knowledge and wisdom are also there.

I AIs.
They are so much fun after a hard day of racing. Put on an idiotic set, and watch them wiggle helplessly around the track. Cheers me up every time

AI still dumb?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG