The online racing simulator
Quote from amp88 :According to overclockers.co.uk the CPU should be here "by the end of the month" so now I'm just sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting.

Good luck.
I've been hearing good things on OcUK about pairing an 3870X2 with another single 3870XT where they will run quite happily as triple-cossfired 3870XTs.
#28 - Jakg
Quote from Tweaker :IMO, EVGA would be a better MB & GPU combo.

Have the same case though, you wont be disappointed.

eVGA = nVidia Chipset.

The 680i was rubbish unless you NEEDED SLi and the 780i isn't much better.
im happy with my evga 780i, but ive no dout that there are better intel chipsets
Got the new SATA cables through today but sadly they don't fit either, so it looks like I'll have to ditch the SATA DVD drive for an IDE replacement. Not a big deal but a frustration nonetheless. After a bit of trouble ordering the mouse I wanted I went for a Razer Copperhead. It seems very nice compared to the ones I've used before but I'm still getting used to the speed - it's a bit too sharp at the moment (500Hz polling @ 1600 DPI).
good choice
Asked this morning when I could expect to get the CPU in and they're now saying 3 weeks at least. Not their fault but still frustrating.
I just skimmed through the thread so I don't know if it was brought to your attention yet, but all 32-bit versions of Vista support 4GB ram now. I have not tried more, but I know 4GB works.

Just install Vista SP1. It is not on the auto update yet, it will be in about 2-3 weeks. It's on microsofts site as a 450ish MB download if you want to manually install it right now.

My P4 machine with vista didnt change much, but my Core 2 Duo machine runs much better now.
#35 - Jakg
Quote from wtf im nameless :I just skimmed through the thread so I don't know if it was brought to your attention yet, but all 32-bit versions of Vista support 4GB ram now. I have not tried more, but I know 4GB works.

AFAIK it now says you have the right amount of RAM but wont use all of it - it's not a proper fix.
Quote from piggy501 :Can't go wrong with Alienware

http://www.alienware.co.uk/main.aspx

Or a Dell XPS

http://www.dell.com/xps

Or a Vadim... Pricey, but purely AWESOME!

http://www.vadim.co.uk/

Cube 24/7

www.cube247.co.uk

Mesh PC

www.meshcomputers.com

Wired2fire

www.wired2fire.co.uk

Alpine Systems. They focus more around FlightSim, but it's still a compter

www.alpinesystems.co.uk

Hope they help. There's lots more if you look around...

You must be out of your mind to reccomend Alienware (Or any other company that prebuilds computers when the OP has a custom build in mind)
Quote from h3adbang3r :You must be out of your mind to reccomend Alienware (Or any other company that prebuilds computers when the OP has a custom build in mind)

I'd also already ordered all components and received and assembled all but the CPU and RAM at the time of his post. I've still yet to receive the CPU and RAM but they should be getting the RAM in tomorrow so it's looking like Tuesday or Wednesday next week hopefully
Still waiting on Overcockers, eh? Have they charged your credit card?
Quote from STROBE :Still waiting on Overcockers, eh? Have they charged your credit card?

I knew there was more to your previous comment when you made it...

Quote from STROBE :Good luck.

Have you had a bad experience with Overclockers and pre-ordering stuff previously?

I've only used them once before but a mate of mine pre-ordered a new Athlon from them a couple of years ago and got it the day of the release, so I was expecting them to be pretty good now.

I'm starting to wonder now though, because the RAM which was supposed to come in stock yesterday now isn't in stock and there's no ETA

And yeah, they have charged my card.
Quote from amp88 :I knew there was more to your previous comment when you made it...

Have you had a bad experience with Overclockers and pre-ordering stuff previously?

I've only used them once before but a mate of mine pre-ordered a new Athlon from them a couple of years ago and got it the day of the release, so I was expecting them to be pretty good now.

I'm starting to wonder now though, because the RAM which was supposed to come in stock yesterday now isn't in stock and there's no ETA

And yeah, they have charged my card.

I'll just quote myself from another forum...
Quote from me elsewhere :I actually found OcUK to be really good (including for RMAs) when I used them - but this was many years ago, "back in the day" so to speak when they served up high performance hardware at good prices, when the two original founders were at the helm. Since then, it appears to have all gone horribly wrong - mainly due to greed, it seems. Admittedly that's not based on my own experience, but there's no smoke without fire. I think the horror stories, the racism allegations (which go hand-in-hand with the forum where many people think Hitler was a little bit too left-wing), the leaks from their appalling admin/staff forum, internet hate clubs/spoof sites, allegations of selling returned stock as new, tales of shockingly rude returns/technical staff, many mentions of "trading standards" etc etc all speak for themselves, should there be any problems with your order.

Personally there's no way I'll ever shop there when there's decent places like scan and ebuyer, and no penny of mine is going to Mark Proudfoot. You've got to be careful what you say about them though. It would appear they would much rather get their lawyers after a forum owner to remove libellous comments than spend those resources just sorting out refunds or RMAs and improving their reputation in the first place. I've also read enough stories to accept that Stoke Trading Standards have OcUK on speed dial.

My advice: wait as long as you're content to wait (if it's a 45nm Intel chip you're waiting for, they're in generally short supply and every retailer is subject to delays from their distributers no matter what the product). But if you ask for a refund and they're not forthcoming or they obviously keep lying about what they acually have in stock, ask your credit card company to do a charge back instead. Sometimes it seems to be the only way with them. It's bad practice of them to charge your card immediately anyway. Good retailers tend not to do that.
I'm running a 64 bit version of Vista, and I'm not experiencing any problems. I haven't used a 32 bit version so I can't compare, but everything seems alright back here..
Right, after a long time waiting I've finally decided to ditch the CPU from Overclockers and get it from eBuyer instead (they had 44 in stock last night when I ordered it, 11 as I write this). It's also about £30 cheaper than from overclockers (every little bit counts). I'm still getting the RAM from overclockers but GSkill instead of the Corsair (no Corsair in stock and no ETA). So, hopefully everything'll come in tomorrow. Got a night out tomorrow night but looking forwarding to spending Saturday fiddling with my new toy!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG