The online racing simulator
Connection problems
(26 posts, started )
Connection problems
I have all the time problems with connection. My 2mbit connection seems okay( if i make download and upload tests ), but in LFS pings are high or just i can't see no racers.

Maybe someone can give some advice...

But i can see messages when i can't see racers etc...
-
freeze (priits) DELETED by priits
anyone ? no advices?
I am having a similar problem, the server might have a 70 ms ping in the server browser, but when I connect my ping skyrockets and the game is unplayable. This wasn't a problem playing on the demo servers.

Anyone have a suggestion?
#4 - robt
Make sure you arent using any file sharing programs or msn etc. while playing LFS, can make a BIG difference.
No P2P or IM here, server is showing low ping in server browser. I might download LFS again and see if that changes anything.

Kind of fustrating to not be able to play multiplayer, where LFS really shines.
Weird, new client solved the problem, zero lag at all servers now. Chalk one up to computer gremlins.

If it makes any difference the client that was acting up came from gamershell.com
Spoke to soon, game is doing it again. What's the refund policy for this game?
ronin, don't be so quick to ask for a refund. There is a problem on YOUR computer somewhere, has to be. Someone knowledgable will help you out and get it sorted out for you. LFS has the best netcode out there. On what else could I connect halfway around the world and race every night on my 56k dialup! And, I'm not the only one. I'm in the US and I was racing the other night on a UK server with someone from Australia who claimed he was running on a 28.8 k connection. I never saw lag from him, though, he did get disconnected a couple of times But I know I very very rarely have a problem. I probably get disconnected 5% of the time and I can pinpoint probably 95% of my problems to something on my end, trying to download skins in the servers or going to windows and trying to get a quick read on a forum or something when spectating for example. It definitely isn't a problem with LFS.

Some one help this guy out!!!!
I was just joking about the refund thing, and I think I might have even found the solution to my problem. There seems to be a bug or mistake in the network code of the Q patch. Other members have experienced the same symptoms I have. Switching to the P patch has cured the problem, and thankfully I still can play on Q servers. I won't be so quick to say my problems are solved, but so far so good.

*edit*

This forum is cursed, everytime I think I have the solution and the game is running fine again, I post my solution here and BAM, the lag comes back. I am up for any suggestions you all might have. Computer specs below:
AMD 4000+
A8N-SLI
(2) Nvidia 6800GT - SLI'd
2gb Ram
(2) WD Raptors
Creative labs Audigy 2
Cable modem connection
Windows XP Pro
Drivers are all up to date. Game runs at 60+ FPS at 1600X1200 with FSAA 4X and AA 8X

Help!
I'll be checking in here often for solutions also, as I'm on a 10Mbit ethernet connection from college, and multiplayer is basically unusable in LFS, way too much lag, players vehicles disappearing and reappearing out of no where, pings skyrocketing,ect. It used to work perfect, so I dunno, was kind of excited hearing that it might be the Q patch.
Guess no solutions for this? :-/ I was in a rally server today and things seemed okay to me but other people said I was lagging...don't understand this at all. Worked perfect in S1, 10Mbit connection should not be lagging.
Are you guys using any wirless networking? There has been other threads with similar problems on wirless hubs check them out if so...

Also at least one of you have indicated you are on a university network, so therefore there is much that is out of your control (i.e. how many are online at one time, whether or not there is any problems within that network, or even the possibility that alot of other students are using P2P and IM software) also on a uni network it's quite likely they have Quality Of Service paket scheduling and maybe LFS pakets aren't getting high priority

From an MSDOS prompt type "ping www.liveforspeed.net" press enter. Do it a few times, do you get fast ping every time or is there some poor ones mixed in? Can also try "tracert www.liveforspeed.net" might help you identify the problem... take your computer to another location were there is a different broadband connection altogether and see if it behaves better, if it does it's something to do with the network your on

P.s. Not all claimed broadband is equal, cable broadband for example is shared bandwidth so can vary alot depending on demand, 2-way satalite is great for downloading surfing the net etc but abismale for online gaming (it has high latency and is also shared bandwidth), for online gaming you really need a broadband service that isn't shared and has low ping (ADSL, ADSL2, ISDN, and possibly new generation wireless connections to name some). For LFS if you are not hosting a server the actual bandwidth is not really that important, whats more important is the quality of service and low latency.
Doesn't look good....

Quote :ping www.liveforspeed.net
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 213.40.196.93:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Quote from NetDemon01 :Doesn't look good....

Nope that doesn't look good did you do it several times? Try ping www.microsoft.com is that any better? and try the tracert command...
Same outcome for microsoft.com...same outcome for any site I try for some reason. The tracert command does this:

Quote :
1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.

over and over again :-/

EDIT::I'm going to *GASP* see what happens with the firewall turned off....
Hmm same thing...not a firewall issue
Hmm it is probably not your firewall or settings but the college firewall and network setup I'd guess... I'd say if you really wanted to get a good connection to LFS through your college network your going to have to contact the college network admin and convince him to set QOS packet scheduling for LFS packets

But I'd say you need to look at getting a dedicated connection if possible
I'll have to look through the Universities computing policies and see if online gaming is against their rules. I don't see why it would be...students need some entertainment away from studying and classes. If this is the case then they must have implemented it this year, cause multiplayer use to work wonderfully from my dorm.
Quote from NetDemon01 :I'll have to look through the Universities computing policies and see if online gaming is against their rules. I don't see why it would be...students need some entertainment away from studying and classes. If this is the case then they must have implemented it this year, cause multiplayer use to work wonderfully from my dorm.

I'd say that is the most likely situation best of luck
hmm...i reformatted my PC and dind't help. Also tried to download and install game again.

I'm not using any P2P programs!

Well, it was okay before - i should try patch P.
When u are connected to a game server(not master server), press CTRL+T to force LFS to use TCP packet position update instead UDP.... might help...
Bad bad... CTRL+T don't helps...
Well well, still no advices ? Ok, let's hope better in S2
Run a server yourself, if your guests experience similar lag that you've described, you'd pretty much know it's a problem with your isp.

Bring in people who do not lag on other servers.
Heh, i can run only LAN server i think, because i have a shared connection. I will try it soon. But interesting is next: no problems in other multiplayer games(rfactor, cs, enemy territory ...) - ping seems OK and other's ping too.
Lost Connection!
Every multiplayer server i enter i can race for up to about 10 minutes, then my connection to the server is lost. Everytime!

All cars around me go blank, "lag 1, 2, 3..." GONE, "Lost Connection"...

This just started happening last week, what is the deal? Nothing like this happens on CS:S and my connection is never dropped to the internet... illepall

NO p2ps, no extra programs in the background... whats going on??? I'm on a universities wired internet service... very fast, but now I can't stay in any severs... any help would be appreciated...

Connection problems
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG