The online racing simulator
Youtube no longer entirely shite?
(114 posts, started )
I click on the link with the " &fmt=18 " and nothing happen , in youtube just the circle rotating in the middle of the screen but no buffer no video no nothing

I missing something?
Some of the videos are not encoded to that format yet so you might have to try again later. You can also try "&fmt=6" but the sound is a little worse than "fmt18" (maybe the video quality too but I don't notice much of a difference).
Quote from UncleBenny :Apparently people got Dolby 5.1 to work on YouTube too, I haven't bothered trying it out in my living room to see if its actually 5.1 though. Video quality is pretty ridiculously good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wYJ2PbLGvU

That says "simulated 5.1", not specifically sure what that means but I downloaded the file (through keepvid.com) and that .FLV file has 320 kbps stereo. So it's not true 5.1. Pretty interesting still, when the basic audio quality in youtube has been much much lower...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaCW4zWDcI

Some other test... but how in the world 640x480 is HD?

Here's one with 960x540...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_HgzguhTKk

Regarding you-tube improvment in quality, it seems the main difference is a big increase in the streaming rate (number of bits of data output per second).

1280x720 hi-def of John Force funny car crash (he had a broken ankle, wrist, and fingers but is back racing for this season again).
If you monitor is 1280x960 or 1280x1024, you'll need to view it full screen. At 1600x1200, it will play normally.

jfhr.wmv

640x360 - longer version of same video, annotated (comments):

jfan.wmv

I've done some 1920x1080i stuff, but few people have monitors that can handle that resolution (descent CRT monitors go up to 2048x1536, and only cost about $400(USA), but few people buy these).

If anyone is curious, HDV (tape) camcorders record at 1440x1080i, then stretch the 1440 by 1.3333 to end up with a 1920x1080i image. AVCHD camcorders record a true 1920x1080i image, but compress into the same data stream rate as HDV, and generally HDV looks better if there's significant movment in the video. I'm not sure why AVCHD didn't use a higher stream rate, unless the few camcorder that record to memory cards instead of hard drives drove this limitation. Cable TV uses a 38mb/s stream rate for it's HDTV, and uses either 1280x720p or 1920x1080i internally.
#30 - J.B.
Quote from JeffR :Regarding you-tube improvment in quality, it seems the main difference is a big increase in the streaming rate (number of bits of data output per second).

Damn. Yesterday I could download all versions of a video using downloadhelper. Now I can only get the low version. But from memory the specs were roughly:

normal:
320x240, Sorensen codec, 350 kbit/s

fmt=6
480x360, Sorensen codec, 900 kbit/s

fmt=18
480x360, AVC/h264 codec, 600 kbit/s

And btw. WMV/VC-1 does support interlacing so if you are reencoding a true 1080i source there is no need to destroy the temporal resolution by using a 30 fps deinterlacer. Motion smoothness FTW.
Wow nice difference!
When you run a 'high res' (not really by todays standards) windoze resolution I can't play the movies smoothly fullscreen; be that crappy youtube or better youtube.. At 1600x1200 its just choppy with 100% cpu load. :s
#34 - wien
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :When you run a 'high res' (not really by todays standards) windoze resolution I can't play the movies smoothly fullscreen;

That's an artefact of Youtube not using hardware acceleration (overlay) in full screen if I'm not mistaken. I'm guessing it's a limitation of going through Flash as Stage 6 didn't work that way.
Ran fine at 1600x1200 for me.
Anyone else noticed this "ID video matching"? It was introduced (I guess) last year. You can see this from the account page.

(click)

Youtube help about this isn't very comprehensive... so does this mean exactly what it says above or what? If that would say "blocked" on the policy column, would this video have been removed automatically or is this basicly some kind of warning system that warns that it might under removal soon?

At least previously it has been 5 video removals = account banned and all videos removed from that account. I wonder if it's still the same, incase this video ID matching system has changed things in the first place. When I first heard about this I thought this would kill youtube (well, 90% of the content on youtube is probably copyrighted) but this sounds like it helps copyright content to stay online.

I've got already 2 accounts banned and I've learned don't upload DUKE, partly MotorsTV, renn.tv or nothing F1 related (from modern era).
Quote from Linsen :The difference is quite amazing, but some of the better videos don't load for me, some load only very slowly, some stop and some don't load at all. So, I guess they're indeed still experimenting with it.

Same here, most vids on youtube, including my own, keep stopping every few seconds here now. Never had that before.
#38 - wark
Little bump: anyone seen the "Watch this video in higher quality." link under new videos? much better than the &fmt=18 difference!

Hooray!
Those "tricks" where the timer is screwed up, don't run at all at my work laptop. all i get is a slideshow and screaming cpu fan.
does this happen in firefox? stopping every 2 seconds? ifso, known problem with latest flash player, install the older one over the top of the newer one

Flash8 HERE
Quote from wark :Little bump: anyone seen the "Watch this video in higher quality." link under new videos? much better than the &fmt=18 difference!

Hooray!

That is awesome I tried some of the links in the authors description. Its cool.

Theres the video and right under it it says watch in high quality
I am sorry if this is wrong place to ask about, but i dont now other location ...
I just try 15 min's ago to upload SD'-76..and/ TRANSIENT_ERROR
What is the reason of this TRANSIENT_ERROR , what is that mean?
Tnks
Attached images
TRANSIENT_ERROR.JPG
Quote from Toyo9J :I am sorry if this is wrong place to ask about, but i dont now other location ...
I just try 15 min's ago to upload SD'-76..and/ TRANSIENT_ERROR
What is the reason of this TRANSIENT_ERROR , what is that mean?
Tnks

Try again later? Transient can mean pretty much as "momentary" or "temporary"... Maybe the internets upload was interrupted or the video isn't in proper format...?
#45 - J.B.
Quote from wark :Little bump: anyone seen the "Watch this video in higher quality." link under new videos? much better than the &fmt=18 difference!

Hooray!

Doesn't seem to work in firefox. And the result is the same as &fmt=6 which should be worse than &fmt=18.
I'm having no problems with Youtube, and it's amazing! Nice to see they finally got some decent qualityy videos, can finally make out what is happening on the screen
Quote from J.B. :Doesn't seem to work in firefox. And the result is the same as &fmt=6 which should be worse than &fmt=18.

It's got nothing to do with firefox. It depends on the country you're in as far as I tested.
Hm that's weird, yesterday I replaced www. with uk. and it worked. Doesn't seem to work now?
-
(wark) DELETED by wark
Quote from J.B. :Doesn't seem to work in firefox. And the result is the same as &fmt=6 which should be worse than &fmt=18.

At least when I use &fmt=18 then there is "watch this video in lower quality" link. But no link for higher quality.

And looks like they've recently changed the maximum size, obviously related to this quality change. Now it's 1024 MB, while prevously it was only 100 MB.
Quote from Thorvertonian :does this happen in firefox? stopping every 2 seconds? ifso, known problem with latest flash player, install the older one over the top of the newer one

Flash8 HERE

Happens in IE, Firefox & Opera. I also tried older versions of flash player, which didn't change a thing.

No problem, though. All other video sites I know of still work fine for me (no matter what flash player version I'm using) so I can easily do without YouTube.

Youtube no longer entirely shite?
(114 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG