The online racing simulator
UK car tax
(54 posts, started )
#1 - P1lot
UK car tax
#2 - Bean0
As I understood you can only renew if your VED expires within 14 days, which would mean that you can;t renew until after the budget. I could be wrong though.
Annoyingly mine is only just in band C. If they change it again, I will be seriously pissed off tbh. Whilst it's actually a higher band than my previous vehicles, it's actually a hell of a lot more fuel efficient It just seems like they want to find an opportunity to balance things up tbh .

Incidentally, what the hell do you drive P1lot?!
#4 - Bean0
I've been screwed by the graduated system ever since it was introduced.

When the limit for cheaper VED was a 1.2, I had a 1.3...now the limit is 1549cc, I have 1587. Still, if my car was post-2001 I would be in band F, so I'm saving a little there being a pre-2001 car.
My car is £115 a year to tax, which isn't too bad, my missus is looking at getting a 1.5lt DCi Clio, which is only £35 a year!!!!.

Think the bike is about £76 a year, which I think is pretty high considering I don't do that many miles on it......
#6 - robt
Level (g/km): CO2 value not available.

does that mean i dont have to pay tax

EDIT: poo, thats post 2001 £180 for me!
#7 - P1lot
Quote from Bean0 :As I understood you can only renew if your VED expires within 14 days, which would mean that you can;t renew until after the budget. I could be wrong though.

I thought it was as soon as you get your reminder through the post, which I have

Quote from the_angry_angel :Incidentally, what the hell do you drive P1lot?!

Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 T-Spark
Attached images
gtv1.jpg
#8 - robt
Quote from P1lot :
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 T-Spark

Can tell by the profile pic. maybe i just know too much
Quote from P1lot :I thought it was as soon as you get your reminder through the post, which I have

Thats what I've always understood, to be honest It certainly lets you do it online anyway...

Quote from P1lot :Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 T-Spark

Ah, nice
Quote from P1lot :Anyone have their UK car tax due at the end of this month? Bet the budget will increase it for big cars tomorrow, buy it today!

Car tax bands based on CO2 emissions http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Mo ... axYourVehicle/DG_10012524
Find your CO2 emissions http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

My car has 220g/km and I'm worried they move the boundaries which would push my car into the highest tax band

That WAS helpful...silly bl**dy government!!
Quote : Level (g/km): CO2 value not available.

Anyways, wots "tax"?? I'm still using a Guiness label from 1987!!!! (j/k)!
Mine is due at the end of this month, although I think i'll be ok with it just being a 1.2....

MOT is also due and i'm in need of 4 new tyres, kickass month for spending money on the car!!
We have sucky-ing car taxes too...

for instance, a veyron costs 1.8million euro's here... (including all taxes.)
Quote : When to apply

If your tax is due to run out at the end of the month, you can renew it from the 15th day of the month.

Ach, damn.
I was going to try anyway but realised I'd need the new MOT to be already done - that's being done at the weekend :weeping:
Let's see how much more I have to pay tomorrow :grumpy:
Given that a 1.6 Focus is band E it really seems the government is either really optimistic about future car emissions or has created a useless scale which will result in the majority of cars being in the top two bands
Indeed, the sports car I want is 375g/km. Thankfully the tax bands don't keep on going past 220 else I'd probably pay more in tax than insurance (without fuel tax and fuel tax's VAT being taken into account, of course).
Down with road tax!!!:heyjoe67_:iagree:
Quote from Bob Smith :Indeed, the sports car I want is 375g/km. Thankfully the tax bands don't keep on going past 220 else I'd probably pay more in tax than insurance (without fuel tax and fuel tax's VAT being taken into account, of course).

That's the daftest bit, a 575g/km Gallardo 5 litre V10 costs the same to tax as a Land Rover or a typical 3 litre V6 saloon, it's hardly an incentive to buy a smaller capacity car. I think actually doing something based on power/capacity would be sensible as much as for car safety by stopping bigger engines being added to overcome the bulk of modern cars but if you're going to use CO2 emissions (which I think are a load of bollocks anyway) at least make it so that you pay more for a supercar/Dodge Ram than a tow car or something vaguely sporty.
in a crash in a Gallardo if it's front on no engine to save u lol. I want to find out how much a 240sx/200sx would cost to insure at 18(alot i guess)
Gah, Something else to confuse new drivers like me :|
Quote from Luke.S :in a crash in a Gallardo if it's front on no engine to save u lol. I want to find out how much a 240sx/200sx would cost to insure at 18(alot i guess)

Forget about it.
#23 - Jakg
Quote from Luke.S :That bad?

Yes.

You got more than £5,000 handy? You'll need it.

You want to mod it? You need to have one funking big silver spoon in your mouth.
lol yeah guess i'll have a kia picanto of sorts then although i quite fancy myself in a kia magentis. Dealer ship+me= trying to get a good deal at 13 lol on a 20k car.
Quote from Luke.S :That bad?

The 240SX wasn't sold in the UK so don't even start to think you'll be insuring an import at 18.

For a 200SX with my details (18, years driving, full license, no tickets) and an agreed value of £3000, 10000 miles and £1050 excess with no modifications the cheapest insurer was £3835.

I also tried a 1996 Skyline, which IIRC there's someone on this forum with as a first car and intending to modify, I was relieved to find I couldn't get a quote in the UK no matter how rich or stupid I may be

UK car tax
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG