The online racing simulator
Random gear changes
(20 posts, started )
Random gear changes
Hi all,

I'm having kind of a strange problem. Halfway through a hard corner, pacing along at -say- the lower ranges of the 2nd gear, the car suddenly shifts back to 1st gear sometimes. Same happens in 3rd gear, changing to 2nd without me initiating the gear change. This only happens if my foot is off the gass pedal (or at least not stepping on it). As long as I keep my foot gently on the pedal revving at around halfway the scale, there's no problem.

This happens with at least the GTR class cars. As I don't drive the others alot I dont know if all cars behave like this.

I set the gears to sequential and I use a Logitech Formula Force GP wheel. I installed the X Patch, that had been updated to Y and then bought the S2 licence to unlock everything.

Is this normal behaviour or do I have to check up on some settings?
Have you made sure that you have selected manual gear shifts? Pressing Shift + G will change it. I've never come across the problem in any of the cars I've tried. The reason I ask is that, unlike in other games, you can still change gears yourself even if you've selected automatic.
It happens to me also..I'd be in first gear at full rev with clutch on waiting for race to start..I let clutch go and it pop's right into 2nd..sometimes when i shift into 5th it goes down to 3rd gear..When i have the "automatic" or semi-automatic on I'd be in 2nd getting ready for it to go into 3rd and it shifts down to 2nd. Something's wrong with the tranny in the car's and its kind of annoying.
#4 - Woz
Quote from scoobyrbac :It happens to me also..I'd be in first gear at full rev with clutch on waiting for race to start..I let clutch go and it pop's right into 2nd..sometimes when i shift into 5th it goes down to 3rd gear..When i have the "automatic" or semi-automatic on I'd be in 2nd getting ready for it to go into 3rd and it shifts down to 2nd. Something's wrong with the tranny in the car's and its kind of annoying.

You have auto gear change selected. No automatic system will change when YOU want, so if you manually change and have auto it WILL change to the gear it feels you should be in.

Just select manual and do the gears yourself. If you dont have clutch use auto clutch, not auto gears

HTH
Im talking about automatic and sequential shifting...seq when i shift it skips a gear once in awhile and automatic it skips gears and when it downshifts it skips gear's also...but when it does it I always forget to save a replay of it...
#6 - bbman
Increase the gearshift debounce... That should fix the skipping...
Quote from scoobyrbac :Im talking about automatic and sequential shifting...seq when i shift it skips a gear once in awhile and automatic it skips gears and when it downshifts it skips gear's also...but when it does it I always forget to save a replay of it...

How old is your controller? Only thing I can guess is that you must increase debounce. Give it a try.

Edit: Was I blind? I didn't saw that earlier post mentioning debounce. I think I'll have to buy new glasses. Sorry about that.
I use a MadCatz MC2...maby thats why it does it...
I've had sort of the same problem with auto trans. When shifting down mid turn, it will sometimes shift all the way to reverse. Obviously turns are hard to negotiate this way
Quote from bbman :Increase the gearshift debounce... That should fix the skipping...

A friend of mine has the same problem, MS SW Wheel, and he uses manual transmission. Where can you find this option???
Quote from GabbO :A friend of mine has the same problem, MS SW Wheel, and he uses manual transmission. Where can you find this option???

IIRC, options -> misc. Don't have LFS in this computer, so can't verify.
Quote from Gekkibi :IIRC, options -> misc. Don't have LFS in this computer, so can't verify.

Yep, you're right.
There seems to be some misunderstanding of the problems I'm having.

First of all, my settings (that might be relevant):
[Driver menu]
- Brake help: No
- Gear shift mode: Sequential
- Autoclutch: Yes
[Controls menu]
- Throttle / brake axis: Separate
- Gear shift mode: Sequential
- Clutch: Button
- Handbrake: Button
- Button Control rate: 4.00
- Thtl / Brk centre reduction: 0.00

My controller:
- Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP (no clutch)

My problem:
- The car (or at least the GTR class) shifts down 1 gear halfway through hard corners. So lets say I'm doing a hard corner in 2nd gear; the car sometimes shifts down to 1st gear all over sudden without me touching the gears. By keeping the revs up as much as I can though corners, I can keep it from shifting down by itself.

I saved a replay to show my problem. Take notice of the gears as I leave the 2nd hard corner at 26 secs.
http://admin-forum.nl/files/lfserious_SO4_FZR_2.spr
In those menus, is Auto Gearshift on or off? Because I can only get the cars to do that if I'm using automatic shifting.
Quote from Denthul :In those menus, is Auto Gearshift on or off? Because I can only get the cars to do that if I'm using automatic shifting.

Ofcourse I know the car will shift down by itself when selecting automatic shifting. But that's not my case. I have it set to sequential as mentioned twice before.

In the previous replay I had Debounce set to 80ms (default= 40ms) to see if that might help me. It doesn't, as the sudden gearchanges also occur when I set Debounce to 20ms, as shown in the following replay:
http://admin-forum.nl/files/lfserious_SO4_FZR_3.spr
(Right after leaving the 4th hard corner, entering the "hammerhead" at 40 secs...)
Hi all,

Found out the replay links dont work, fixed that. Please have a look at them.

I also checked if setting my controllers axis from separate to combined would solve the problem, but sadly it doesnt. The downshifts still happen.

If nobody has a clue on how to fix this I'll reinstall Windows and install the latest drivers for my wheel as a last resort.

(btw, I'll ask the mods to move this thread to the Technical Assistance section...)
I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with LFS but with your wheel. It's probably the paddle buttons getting worn out and sending random shift commands. For example the MS Sidewinder FF wheel was notorious to start double-shifting after a while; I suspect something similar is happening with your wheel. If the "gearshift debounce" setting doesn't fix it, I fear you're out of luck.
Could you post a screenshot of your 'Options -> Driver' page please?
Quote from AndroidXP :I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with LFS but with your wheel. It's probably the paddle buttons getting worn out and sending random shift commands. For example the MS Sidewinder FF wheel was notorious to start double-shifting after a while; I suspect something similar is happening with your wheel. If the "gearshift debounce" setting doesn't fix it, I fear you're out of luck.

After reading the above I changed the shifting buttons. And that seems to have solved it. Need to do some more laps as the gear changes didn't happen all too often, but things seem to be okay. Will do a couple more laps tonight if I can find the time to make sure.

For Denthul here's a scheenshot of the Driver menu in LFS:
http://admin-forum.nl/files/lfs_driver_menu.PNG
Solved
Thanks alot to AndroidXP!

After doing 10 laps without changing gears by itself once it's save to say the problem is indeed caused by the shift buttons on my wheel.

Now lets see if my I can convince my wife I really need the G25 because this one's 'broken'...

As far as I'm concearned, problem solved, this thread is to be considered closed.

Random gear changes
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG