The online racing simulator
Pacejka based top down racing game
(18 posts, started )
I'll try that! I **LOVE** GeneRally which has a very effective 'slip angle' type model that is a huge challenge and great fun. Pacejka soudns over the top... but physics can certainly apply to these games.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I'll try that! I **LOVE** GeneRally which has a very effective 'slip angle' type model

isnt that the same as saying it uses pacejka?
Its probably a lot more simple in GeneRally, just a simple model, not one with 40+ variables.. I've done more GeneRally than just about any sim/game, it just doesn't get boring! But I don't think it has a hugely complex tyre model.
Agreed. It just feels 'wrong' in a huge way - though I can't quite work out exactly what the source of the problem is.
Aye, it's not great is it........
feels a lot better with a fixed camera
meh, nothing can beat generally + ~1000 cars + ~5900 tracks (yep i have that collection).
Far too complicated, don't like the camera, can't work out where the tracks going and it doesn't need boost, damage or advanced physics. Generally all the way
Slicks 'n Slide > All, tbh
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Slicks 'n Slide > All, tbh

Well it's certainly a lot more fun that this game.

I loved Skidmarx on the Amiga, that was great fun, as was Super Off Road Racing. Micro Machines V3 is a cracking top-down racer too.

It surely isn't that hard to make a game like this fun, and yet this game seems to be really struggling.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Slicks 'n Slide > All, tbh

We have a winner folks!
Slicks n Slide, without a doubt the greatest top down racer. Generally is good, but it just doesnt have the simplicity that S'n'S had, but seeing as that was made in the days of DOS and not Windows, its a great substitute, but that game gave me years of happyness.
I was looking for this game just the other week, wondering just how long ago it was, and it all just came flooding back. In reality its a really basic game, nothing complicated about it compared to the work put into some games today, and thats the beauty of it, its just clean simple fun.
What a game

Dont suppose anyone else has Pixeljunk Racer? afaik its PS3 exclusive (dont think its on XBL) but its quite a fun little title. Its more like Scalextric with lane changing (your car follows a set lane until you switch lanes) and theres about 20 different game modes which are quite hectic. My favourite being fairly simple, the more AI cars you overtake the faster you cars speed becomes, theres no stop/reverse in the game, only forward and varying faster speeds, and as your car gets faster and faster your pretty much looking half a lap ahead of yourself to see whats coming in order to have any hope of reacting to it in time to not hit them. As soon as you hit an AI car (theres loads of them, going slow, and only change lanes to overtake, so they're fairly predictable) you're 'overtake' counter resets as does your speed, after about 90sec the timer runs out and next hit ends the game, where-as normally you'd go back to slow speed.

Its a fun game, reminds me of the fun i had when top-down racing was about all you had, and the simplicity of the concept with different styles of racing modes makes it great fun, esp with a few mates round.
I'll need to check it out.

One of my faves was Death Rally, which I believe was either a Win95 or DOS game, but it did boast 3D environments, upgradable cars and stuff. And of course blowing stuff up.
Lovely
I used to play slicks n slide, great little game. I see GeneRally as its 'modern' equivalent with a similar ish and slightly more complex state.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :I used to play slicks n slide, great little game. I see GeneRally as its 'modern' equivalent with a similar ish and slightly more complex state.

Same here. Must be the 'sequel syndrome', because I don't find GeneRally as enjoyable. Same thing with one of my other favourite games, Action SuperCross. It felt much better without the overly sugary graphics. Elastomania being the redone version of Across.
What a fun little game

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG