The online racing simulator
Windmill explodes
(90 posts, started )
Quote from Krane :None of them are an eyesore, these are

That was going to be my argument, but I figured some douchebag would come on and say something like "WELL, THAT ONE PLANT IS EQUIVALENT TO 50 WIND TURBINES AND I'D RATHER HAVE ONE OF THOSE THAN 50 OF THE OTHER!!!"

But I agree with you.
Quote from Krane :None of them are an eyesore, these are:

It's not necessary to put conventional or nuclear power stations in areas of outstanding natural beauty.
#56 - 5haz
Please have mercy on me, but I actually think windmills, if placed apropriately are actually quite nice looking.
Quote from beefyman666 :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/c ... _cannell_wind_400x300.jpg - This is the one at Lowestoft. Tell me that's not an eyesore.

that son of a krud IS HUGE!!!:eye-poppi

man we got like hundreds near my place kinda like 20 miles out....best view is either sunset or sunrise...ill get a pic of it so u guys will see but anywayz if they build a windmill that BIG imma move out even though im 15:ices_rofl
You think that's big... you should see the world's largest. I give you the Enercon E-126:

#59 - 5haz
Quote from Stang70Fastback :You think that's big... you should see the world's largest. I give you the Enercon E-126:

Christ! I wonder what happens if the brakes fail on that one
Quote from Stang70Fastback :You think that's big... you should see the world's largest. I give you the Enercon E-126:

why? lol
Wow, really shows the power of wind, doesn't it?
Quote from Joe_R :.........

why? lol

One big turbine is less expensive than several smaller turbines, requires less manpower/machinery/time/materials to put together and maintain, is more efficient and requires less space. Plus it means you don't need a bajillion turbines on a wind farm (as pictured in the above post) for the same amount of energy. And if you still insist on stuffing the land full of them, you'll get a lot more power.

That and it just looks cool.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :One big turbine is less expensive than several smaller turbines, requires less manpower/machinery/time/materials to put together and maintain, is more efficient and requires less space. Plus it means you don't need a bajillion turbines on a wind farm (as pictured in the above post) for the same amount of energy. And if you still insist on stuffing the land full of them, you'll get a lot more power.

That and it just looks cool.

lol is it legal here in the states?? i really wanna see one in my area just for the hell of it
Quote from Joe_R :lol is it legal here in the states?? i really wanna see one in my area just for the hell of it

Well, the problem is lot of these things are being built in Europe and other countries where people actually care about the environment and the governments are actually taking initiative. Over here, we just have our tiny little wind farms so we can say we do it too
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Well, the problem is lot of these things are being built in Europe and other countries where people actually care about the environment and the governments are actually taking initiative. Over here, we just have our tiny little wind farms so we can say we do it too

No we have silly idiots in charge who decide to spend money on silly renewable sources that will never work just because they're green rather than spending money developing ways to sort out the current issues with nuclear power generation. A quick google shows that France has 1.3% of energy from renewable sources (so likely less than 1% from the wind turbines plastered all over the place). IIRC the figure for the UK is about the same.
Quote from ajp71 :No we have silly idiots in charge who decide to spend money on silly renewable sources that will never work just because they're green rather than spending money developing ways to sort out the current issues with nuclear power generation. A quick google shows that France has 1.3% of energy from renewable sources (so likely less than 1% from the wind turbines plastered all over the place). IIRC the figure for the UK is about the same.

Yeah, but then you've got places like Denmark, Spain, Portugal and Germany who are a lot more involved.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Yeah, but then you've got places like Denmark, Spain, Portugal and Germany who are a lot more involved.

German wind farms provide 6% of German power (and 28% of the worlds wind energy) and Germany has a lot more land suitable for wind farms than most. If you've ever been or driven through Germany you'd also soon realise that you're never far from one and they really are the prominent feature of some really beautiful areas.
#71 - wien
Quote from ajp71 :A quick google shows that France has 1.3% of energy from renewable sources (so likely less than 1% from the wind turbines plastered all over the place).

Last time I checked hydro was a renewable resource, so that's 12.4%. Still not a lot but a damn sight better than 1.3%. There are countries far better than that too (20% wind in Denmark as previously mentioned. Norway is 99% based on hydroelectric for the power we produce ourselves). Renewable resources are far from "silly" as long as you focus on the right ones.

I agree with you about nuclear though. It's mostly FUD that's preventing it from being more widely deployed these days. The dangers of nuclear are wildly exaggerated.
Quote from ajp71 :German wind farms provide 6% of German power (and 28% of the worlds wind energy) and Germany has a lot more land suitable for wind farms than most. If you've ever been or driven through Germany you'd also soon realise that you're never far from one and they really are the prominent feature of some really beautiful areas.

I wasn't disputing that fact - I was stating it. I'm on your side here! I just didn't feel like stating all the facts and figures.

Quote from wien :I agree with you about nuclear though. It's mostly FUD that's preventing it from being more widely deployed these days. The dangers of nuclear are wildly exaggerated.

Agreed. Nuclear is surely going to play an even greater energy role in the future. But people are still hung up on things like Chernobyl and 3-Mile-Island.
-
(Stang70Fastback) DELETED by Stang70Fastback
Quote from wheel4hummer :And when you set the wind to "none" on blackwood, then very realistically, none of the lights will work. There would also be no timing, so someone would have to keep track of the positions of cars by hand. At the end of the race, LFS would report "There was no electricity available to run anything electronic because there was no wind today. Fight about the results amongst yourselves."

Hmm, we allways has those hamsters that can run for some elctricity tho...
Quote from wien :
That's not to say turbines don't have an environmental impact though. They kill a lot of birds and other wildlife for instance...

Killing wildlife is a pretty obvious answer, but what I want to know is what are the effects of taking energy away from wind?
Quote from wien :Last time I checked hydro was a renewable resource, so that's 12.4%. Still not a lot but a damn sight better than 1.3%. There are countries far better than that too (20% wind in Denmark as previously mentioned. Norway is 99% based on hydroelectric for the power we produce ourselves). Renewable resources are far from "silly" as long as you focus on the right ones.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have hydroelectric power as an intelligent way of generating electricity in my mind, separated from the other renewable sources (wind, solar, tidal), which are all silly generate a nominal amount at huge cost and are normally separated from hydroelectric in the statistics.

Windmill explodes
(90 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG