The online racing simulator
transaxle
(14 posts, started )
transaxle
i am just wondering... what are the advantages of a rearmounted transaxle on an FR or AWD car?

so far, what i know is that you get better weight distribution...

are there any other advantages over an "imidiate mount" transmission? because it seems like it would be a disadvantage when you are trying to repair your car... since everything is bundled up very neatly...
It is also usually more compact then a regular transmission, because there is no separate differential or anything.
but then again... it would be hard to replace stuff... then a transmission with everything seperate...

i wonder if i can replace my stock viscus LSD on my impreza...
Quote from atlantian :i am just wondering... what are the advantages of a rearmounted transaxle on an FR car?

so far, what i know is that you get better weight distribution...

are there any other advantages over an "imidiate mount" transmission? because it seems like it would be a disadvantage when you are trying to repair your car... since everything is bundled up very neatly...

Spread them out so that you can remove the trans without disturbing the engine.

I'm not so familiar with the layout of a rear mounted transaxle, but is the flywheel and clutch still attached to the crankshaft, or is it down by the rear axle? I would think it would still be up front, but I could be wrong. My experience has been with front drive and rear drive vehicles, not fancy schmancy sports cars.
a good example of an FR sportscar with rear transaxle would be the GTR... minus the front wheels... everything is pretty much is in the back...
Weight distribution.
soo... i am guessing that a permanant, symmetrical AWD car such as the impreza NEEDS the transaxle, and the drawbacks are... difficult to change parts, since everything needs to be specially tailored to that fit...

and if the impreza didn't have a compact center transaxle, the transmission would have to either be REALLY far forward, or the layout wouldn't even be possible to achieve,

edit: actually, i think the transaxle on the impreza is a standard placement of tranies... i think that subaru should shift the transmission further back... and have a double-transaxle.
Quote from atlantian :i think that subaru should shift the transmission further back... and have a double-transaxle.

I declare that to be a horrible idea.
How about you concentrate on the American equalivalent of our 11-plus, and leave cars to grown ups. In about 10 years time you'll be old enough and mature enough to be allowed in one.
a)what's an eleven plus
b)i have a license
c)i have had more driving experience then my license allows...
d)how is the rear double trans-axle a bad idea? it would be a cheap nissan GTR! albeit a little tall...

and...
e)i will not ever leave cars alone now that i discovered it's wonder, it is just such a great thing! and i am an avid fan of top gear...

and if maturity is an issue... i don't think it is... i don't think of randomly running someone over on my way to school... or jumping off a ramp like the dukes of hazard...
Quote from atlantian :i don't think of randomly running someone over on my way to school...

If I went to your school, I'd try running you over in the parking lot. Just trying to be honest here!
^ well, good thing i don't go to school in the country that is called...Other...
Quote from atlantian :a good example of an FR sportscar with rear transaxle would be the GTR... minus the front wheels... everything is pretty much is in the back...

Or every corvette since 1997
or that too... lol, sorry don't really pay attention to american muscle...

transaxle
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG