The online racing simulator
Outgauge -> LPT-port
I have an interesting request. I am making authentic cockpit, and have modelled some key functions. If there is a willing coder who likes to help me for any reason, don't hesitate to contact me via private message and/or repost to this thread. Don't start to code yet, I can explain my project with more details. This is just a scratch I typed in here 3:18AM, because I was having problem with sleep.

I need a program what sends certain telemetric information from outgauge to LPT-port (Like http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... ;highlight=gear+indicator , but I need more options).

Nastiest thing is that it must also send synchronization clock signal using 2 pins (Four combinations). This changes every X ms (Adjustable via config-file).

When the sync-signal is 0&1, it sends speed using PCD-code ("100's" only in two digits, that would make max speed of 399 km/h. This is due to the limitation of LPT-port (12 usable pins, and 2 are for sync-clock).
So, for example the pins would be like this: 0101 0110 1001. It would mean 169km/h (Remember, first two digits are sync-signals).

When the sync-signal is 1&0, it sends revolutions using PCD-code (4 Digits). That would allow to have 15 different tresholds (Because 0000 is true 0, and no leds would light up).

When the sync-signal is 0&0, it sends different kind of signals to all 10 pins (For example, signal lights, handbrake light, reverse light, shift light, stall light, etc).

When the sync-signal is 1&1, it sends gear number (Just like GI by Vladimir Kadlec). Gear number would only need 7 pins (As 7-segment display only has 7 segments. DUH! , so the rest (three pins) can be used for additional lights (Signal lights etc).

There should be some kind of config.cfg, where I can change what conditions activates what pin (Just like in Vladimir Kadlec's GI).
Hi Kalle,
consider also other option, with some microchip able to communicate over USB. E.g. this by MMos (the rsc site is down at the moment), it's based on pic18f4550. It's more complicated to build it, but you whould have a lot of on/off pins as well as PWM outputs for tacho, speedo, etc... There is support for LFS and the MMos's hardware.

I'm not sure, if multiplexing wouldn't be too slow. I mean, you would notice "lags" between e.g. tacho in LFS and you hardware.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG