The online racing simulator
My first post was somewhat tounge-in-cheek, but it was a comment on the fact I don't understand the appeal either.

Truthfully, I believe drifting/racing is a right brain/left brain type of difference. Science/Arts.

Racing is masculine. It is about competition, winning, ultimate speed, engineering, technology, etc. The objectives are very concrete: Win, Go The Fastest.

Drifting is abstract and has intangible objectives. Hence why it is a judged sport.

I have little doubt that talent in drifting is a difficult skill set.

But just like the original post, some people (myself included) will never feel the appeal of it.
either you like or you dont. dont hate on drifters or racers no matter what we all like we should all respect each other and not argue about things like this. racing is fun and i like it a lot. i also like drifting a lot and yes it does take skill to control a car sideways at high speed even the slow technical parts. racing takes skill to trying to find that quickest line and beating your opponents just as you would in drifting but judged by points etc.. i think if your a racer and hate drifting you need to try it out if you havent or if you have just respect that not all people like the same thing or this world would be boring as FCK! same with drifters who hate racing. it goes both ways. just get a long and we would have a more pleasant racing and drifting environment in LFS.
FFS! How many times have we had this fcking argument it's the same old track over again im fcking sick of it.

If you want to drift, then DRIFT

If you want to race, then RACE

simple STFU FFS!
Quote from frokki :Easy. It's a car that's modified to perform better in drifing. You could aswell ask what is a drag car, a race car, or ice-cream van.

And on topic, drifting is popular in LFS because it's fun and easy. You can just jump to any server or track with any RWD car and start drifting. No need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do.

It's true, I can strangly drift better in the xrt on hard track vs a drift setup from team inferno.
Quote from mcintyrej :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxVIcNsGvRc

Tell me that wouldn't be an adrenaline rush.

I remember reading an article of some navy guys docked in saudi arabia. They rented an accord, and did a drift stunt as it was said doing about 110kph, the driver ended up killing his 3 passengers, and he was executed. So it can be scary, but fun if you actually know what you are doing.
I hate drifting, and think it was great that the XRT was banned from the DEMO.

Quote from pearcy_2k7 :FFS! How many times have we had this fcking argument it's the same old track over again im fcking sick of it.

If you want to drift, then DRIFT

If you want to race, then RACE

simple STFU FFS!

Your English is a disgrace to the team, lol.
england really needs to reintroduce the death penalty
the effects of genetic seclusion are really starting to show
Quadruple post = fail. I'm sure you're aware of the 'edit' and 'delete' functions...
Quote from Ikaponthus :Browsing these forums, it seems to be really popular! I can't imagine why it would appeal to sim-racing enthusiasts. Certainly is pretty low on my motoring "to do" list, but I don't know too much about it.

As far as I understand, it's maybe the slowest way to corner and couldn't be too healthy for the car either (let alone burning the tyres)!

I see it on youtube too ... what's with these guys? Why would you want to drive a car slowly and dangerously and rip your tyres to shreds? Okay ... so I suppose it could be fun for a while. But apart from that, are there any practical reasons? Or is it just a glorified burnout?

Serious question, I don't know much about it, I'm not trying to wind anyone up.

look... the only reason drifters would look for realistic driving sims to drift is because it's REALISTIC. they want to practice without worrying about tires and part costs... if you are into racing, why not go play NFS?
Quote from frokki :Easy. It's a car that's modified to perform better in drifing.

What major modifications does a car need to be a "drift car"?
Apart from having:
  • Been lowered
  • Ridiculous amounts of camber
  • RWD
  • Dorifto graphics plastered all over
All this you can already do in LFS so why do many people want a "drift car" added to LFS?
Quote from benjie.13 :I hate drifting, and think it was great that the XRT was banned from the DEMO.

how would that change anything for drifting in the full version? you are a bigot for hating something you don't know about
Quote from March Hare :What major modifications does a car need to be a "drift car"?
Apart from having:
  • Been lowered
  • RWD
All this you can already do in LFS so why do many people want a "drift car" added to LFS?

idk, they are just being silly... and havent really tried the game out...

oh, btw, the "speed" that is a factor in drifting is not about time, it's about raising the risk factor and making it more exciting. and the more hype you can generate with your crazy driving style, the better score you would generate
Thanks for the clarification.
Quote from March Hare :Thanks for the clarification.

oh, yes, and they need the big air dam in the front bumper to show off that big intercooler!

i don't honestly mind, if it's realistic, i'm happy, if i have a need to look at sexy cars, i would look online...
and/or go to my friend's house to "play" GT5 (we actually just do a lap, then we watch the replay for 20 minutes...)
Quote from March Hare :What major modifications does a car need to be a "drift car"?
Apart from having:
  • Been lowered
  • RWD

the modifications that would be useful beyond what lfs can offer right now would be more steering lock and a bigger turbo/more power in general

the turbo would imho also make for an interesting car to race since it will be oversized peaky and laggy
As 5th gear put it best, it's about car control. When I was learning to do it in NFS most wanted, and finally achieved it, I was quite happy. When I do a nice one in LFS I feel good. Just like when having a fun race. I guess thats why I like using the XRG. Having the oversteer through a corner .
Quote from Shotglass :the turbo would imho also make for an interesting car to race since it will be oversized peaky and laggy

Now you made me want a humongous laggy peaky turbo in the XRT.
actually, that would cool, since then it would be good practice for throttle control with a turbo
Simply put-

Racing: Driving a car as fast as possible on the edge of grip around a race track

Drifting: Sliding a car, with as much angle and speed as possible.

I race alot but I do drift occasionally and I find both fun. I am really unbiased when it comes to motorsport as I will watch any sport as long as it comes with engines and wheels (and sometimes sports with no wheels) but people enjoy different things, Some people like football, rugby, basketball, baseball, motor racing racing etc - Why? Who knows its just a personal opinion. The thing is about opinions is that no one is right or wrong on them but this forum still seems to argue about them lol.
Quote from Greboth :Simply put-

Racing: Driving a car as fast as possible on the edge of grip around a race track

Drifting: Sliding a car, with as much angle and speed as possible.

I race alot but I do drift occasionally and I find both fun. I am really unbiased when it comes to motorsport as I will watch any sport as long as it comes with engines and wheels (and sometimes sports with no wheels) but people enjoy different things, Some people like football, rugby, basketball, baseball, motor racing racing etc - Why? Who knows its just a personal opinion. The thing is about opinions is that no one is right or wrong on them but this forum still seems to argue about them lol.

thank you for simplifying everything that is the right definition of drifting!
Quote from Intrepid :
What's the point of kicking a leather ball around a pitch, or painting a picture, or writing a song.???

Really, there's no point, becuase eventually we'll all die. Why does it matter what we do, when it'll get nullified eventually anyways.
GTFO this forum Ikaponthus, maybe some people want to drift, some want to race. If you want to do both, so be it. If you don't like to drift, ignore it. It's not like drifters take away your racing abilities, hog race server slots, or screw up your LFS experience. Also, you're in demo. Anything happens in demo, because it's not paid for... and frankly, no one in demo really gives a rat's ass about what you do, unless they're S2 teams with demo servers.

Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Pull your head in. Did you miss this?
Quote from Agapanthus :Serious question, I don't know much about it, I'm not trying to wind anyone up.

He seemed genuinely curious to me

Believe it or not, it's actually possible that someone on t3h internets didn't know all about dorifto and asked a legitimate question in order to get an understanding of it. Didn't really deserve a smackdown imho.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers - especially those answers which don't even answer the question or contribute to the discussion.
Maybe but saying "Im not trying to wind anyone up" he obviously must have known its a sensative subject here, it's been discussed plenty of times all over the forum which i bet he has seen.

I can take crap suggestions but one thing i can't take is a sh!t stirer
Apart from having:
  • Been lowered
  • RWD

And why the heck people created F1. Maybe because it's good to aim higher, and not be satisfied with racing let's say for example Fiat Pandas.

But oh well.. I love it when I get a chance to laugh at someone criticizing something he has no idea about. :ices_rofl First research, then write.

Aren't you the one who has been asking this in drift car suggestion thread and you that have been answered countless times even with a link to awesome S15 DW project? There must be some error in your brain, since you are having a hard time processing the information about what is a car build for drifting.

I also loved the answer to your question on 1st page:

Quote from frokki :Easy. It's a car that's modified to perform better in drifing. You could aswell ask what is a drag car, a race car, or ice-cream van.

Brillant.

Quote from frokki :And on topic, drifting is popular in LFS because it's fun and easy. You can just jump to any server or track with any RWD car and start drifting. No need to practise lines or tweak setups, no need to care what other people do.

Kind of. There is a lot to setup making though. I spend quite much time improving my setups to make the car be even better and better while going sideways.

About the difficulty. I think mastering racing and drifting is both extremely difficult. Mastering racing is going with perfect lines(according to the situation in a race), getting perfect splits, getting perfect laptimes etc. Now while drifting imagine doing a perfect lap each time with maximum possible angles, best lines(super close to the walls etc) and best possible speeds with those lines and angles. In fact, I believe that mastering any kind of motorsport that involves driver a lot is super hard.

But I get your point too, as it's true that even if you don't have much skill, great set etc you can jump into the server and just slide around. But there is a difference beetwen "this sliding" around and doing a perfect drift. Just like there is a difference beetwen "racing in the back" and winning a race.

Preparing to drift competitions also takes time for the ones that are serious and want to win. It's not a jump in and drive process if you are aiming high.

The feel during driving sideways in real life is an amazing feel. Drifting is also something very entertaining for spectators, hell ! I love rallies for the fact that rally drivers are going sideways on those scary fast narrow roads. If someone doesn't like drifting, then the reasons are I think:

1) He never tried it himself
2) He never at least experienced it first hand during a proper co-drive
3) He learned about drifting from FastnFurious
4) His idea of drifting is based on "local parking drifters"
5) His idea of drifting is based purely on some internet opinions.

^He/she
This thread is closed

What's the fascination with drifting!?
(354 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG