The online racing simulator
#1 - Azk13
As your racing journey progresses.....
I realise some people who start to get competitive lose their ability to enjoy a race and get too serious about winning till they forget to have fun, what's your opinion on this?
I get owned 99% of the time so i can actually enjoy trying to pass someone at least.
#3 - wien
Well, to a competitive person winning is fun so I wouldn't say they enjoy it any less than other people. Personally I enjoy door to door racing with people of similar skill, winning is a secondary objective for me, but different people enjoy different aspects of it. I don't think even the most competitive person would race if he/she didn't get some kind of enjoyment out of the experience.

Now when people with different mindsets meet up (something obviously more common in sim racing than real racing) you may see some sparks flying, but I can't say I've had too much problem with that.
I found that in my early S1 days, I was getting better and better in the MRT, up to a point where winning was all I wanted to do. But now, there is a newer generation of LFS drivers each year, and in S2 good competition is so rare I find. There aren't many drivers that are at my level of pace, and very few that are faster than me because they all only play in leagues -- uber pros. So lately I've been quite bored with some car classes because there are too many people that don't want to (or can't) have a good race , or they're off cruising :doh:.

It's fun when I do get a good race with someone though. Otherwise, winning all the time, or having huge gaps between podium finishers is pretty lame

I'd have to say the competitor's poor consistency is a big problem 90% of the time.
I think that people who race more competitively have a lot more fun than those who don't race competitively. If I'm neck in neck with someone of similar speed, then I have a lot of fun, and it's what I look for in a race. I don't really care about winning too much as long as I can have some good battles. If I'm beating the pants off some noobs on some demo server, then I'm probably not having too much fun. When it's easy, it's no fun, but when it gets more competitive then it becomes fun.

:twocents:
Even though the racing happens in a virtual world, the stakes, risks and rewards (mostly emotional) get a lot tastier when you're going head-to-head in a more serious manner.
Race to win, whats the point of racing if you don't want to win?.

Take the recent MRT league, I pretty much got my arse handed to me on a plate in every race, but the last race I won, and man was it a sweet feeling.

Obviously you have to keep things in perspective, its just a "game" afterall, but it's the competitive element that keeps me racing.

The only thing I don't understand is the "F**K YOU W****R YOU TOOK ME OFF" brigade, if I get taken out, I use it as an oppurtunity to race with those lower down the field and try to regain as many places as possible before the end of the race.

Also, the people who quit a race just because they get knocked off, or crash, whats that all about?, I can't remember the last time I quit a race simply because I crashed, I would still try and race that damn car if the wheels were falling off!!!!
Quote from danowat :Race to win, whats the point of racing if you don't want to win?.

Take the recent MRT league, I pretty much got my arse handed to me on a plate in every race, but the last race I won, and man was it a sweet feeling.

Obviously you have to keep things in perspective, its just a "game" afterall, but it's the competitive element that keeps me racing.

The only thing I don't understand is the "F**K YOU W****R YOU TOOK ME OFF" brigade, if I get taken out, I use it as an oppurtunity to race with those lower down the field and try to regain as many places as possible before the end of the race.

Also, the people who quit a race just because they get knocked off, or crash, whats that all about?, I can't remember the last time I quit a race simply because I crashed, I would still try and race that damn car if the wheels were falling off!!!!

I totally agree with you Dano, of course I enjoy wining, but there is so much more than just wining.
For example, even if it was battle of the 20`th place, if the battle had been great, the overal race would have been great. The position doesn`t mather, as long as the fight is good, and puts up your adrenaline and heart beat

And as you mentioned Danowat, there is this whining brigade. If you for example makes an racing accident, and gets one of the drivers to spin on the gras, they don`t seem to want to race, just to whine and shout and vote. There is not many people left in LFS that actually says "It`s ok, don`t worrie it was an accident ", most tells "for ****s sake! There was plenty of room you idiot! Press 1 everyone!".

Of course there is some good races around, but most races lately shows that most of the veterans doesn`t play anymore, or, they don`t play on public servers.
#9 - P1lot
Never give up!
Even when ending up at the back of the field after lap 1 of a full grid, you're sure to make 10 places just from retirees :S
Quote from The Very End :Of course there is some good races around, but most races lately shows that most of the veterans doesn`t play anymore, or, they don`t play on public servers.

League racing is where it's at, you tend to get to know those racing around you, and there (seems) to be more respect, well, in the RSWC/RSSC for sure there is.
Sometimes i dun understand those whiners. Accidents do occur, no point of banning people. People do make mistakes. Accidents are part of racing. If somebody hit me, i just say that that action was a dangerous one and either retire or race if still in good condition. We are all not professional racer btw so accidents are expected.
Quote from danowat :League racing is where it's at, you tend to get to know those racing around you, and there (seems) to be more respect, well, in the RSWC/RSSC for sure there is.

But I wish I could meet this good people on a public server, not only in leagues
I use a keyboard currently, I therefore constantly get owned in any kind of serious racing. Which is why I have taken up LFSBangers and Stop the AI. At least i don't get thrashed quite so much then!

As your racing journey progresses.....
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG