The online racing simulator
Simulation Systems Wheel/Pedals and other questions
10 yrs. ago I was racing all the time and was using a wheel that I bought from a company in San Jose, Ca. call Simulation Systems. This company primarily provided high quality, very durable wheels for arcade machines. They decided to market to the general public for a few years and sold a PC wheel/pedals for some $750. When they stopped selling to the general public, this setup was selling for some $1300.
I would like to use this wheel with LFS, so I just hooked it up to my gameport and am finding that my computer is not recogizing the wheel which is set up in Control Panel as a "2 axis/4 button" controller. Last time I used it it worked fine. I am not sure if I have ever used it with my current puter (about 3 yrs old). Is it possible that the newer puter might not work with it? I did check the port with a Microsoft Sidewinder and it found it, so there is no problem with the port. I would love to continue using this wheel and am seeking someone who might have an idea why it is not working. But if I can't get it working-------
What is the current state-of-the-art wheel for Pcs these days, to specifically be using with LFS? I look forward to your feedback and to see you on the tracks soon. Thanks

Bob Albright
Did you use a different operating system back when you lasted used it? It's possible that whatever you are using now needs some drivers to work with it.

I'm not sure what the current state of the art wheels are, they are all so expensive, few people on these forums have tried them. The racers wheel of choice atm is the Logitech G25 but it might not be up to the quality of what you've got.
It's been a few years since I did any racing and I don't think I have ever used this wheel/pedals with this puter. The company does not market this wheel anymore so I would not be able to get any drivers from them--so I guess I am out of luck with using this wheel.
I don't have any advice for you, but I would love to see some photos of this setup of yours if you have any?

So Windows just doesn't register that the thing is even plugged in?
I was hoping someone would have some good answers for me. I don't have dig camera so I can't send any pics. The wheel is suede covered--had a really nice feel--weighs probably 25 lbs--pedals probalby weigh in around 15 lbs. Very sturdy--but if I can't use it, it's all for nothing. I had lots of fun with it back then.
Maybe you can change the electronics? I used a chip from codemercs. It accepts potentiometers and voltage sources (hall pots).
#7 - Woz
Quote from SladiVadi :Maybe you can change the electronics? I used a chip from codemercs. It accepts potentiometers and voltage sources (hall pots).

Yep. Buy 1 or 2 cheap wheels that you know are supported and use their electronics.
hm what exactly are the capabilities of the wheel?
if it doesnt have any ffb and no split axis pedals it should work just fine as a 2 axis 4 button controller in windows
Personally - I would contact the company that made the wheel and pedal combo.

Ask them for updated drivers - any compatibility issues.
Was it designed to work it win 95/98?
What install software did it come with?

I have googled the name Simulation Systems - but I cant find anything - do they go by any other name?

How does it connect to the pc? Is it usb, serial or what?

Try here for drivers? http://www.driverguide.com/
I, too , tried googling the company and found nothing. At this point I think I will just buy a G25 and move on. One of the things my wheel/pedals did NOT have was force feedback. That technology was just starting to show up when I bought my wheel----and I might add, it did not work well then. One of the comments I read on the forum was about being able to sense when the tires were giving up due to the feel from ffb. That makes sense to me, so unless you guys have a suggestion other than the G25, it looks like I am going that way. I appreciate everyone's input .
Since you asked for it, I must say that G25 is a really good value for the money.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG