The online racing simulator
fox suspension get damage from just driving
Hello,
Today i was driving at so sprint rev 1 with the fox. I noticed the rear left suspension got damage but i did not hit anything to get big damage from.

The set i used, has average ride height, spings and dampers. Yet the suspension just cant handle the load

I attached a replay of it.
Attached files
suspgetdmgfromtrack.mpr - 523.1 KB - 407 views
its the dip after the long backstraight. As you come off the highway, your car bounces on the ground, on the left side. Raise your car a little bit, and it will stop.
Quote from Stigpt :its the dip after the long backstraight. As you come off the highway, your car bounces on the ground, on the left side. Raise your car a little bit, and it will stop.

I have never seen a formula car getting damage from bottoming out.

Look at F1 cars before 1994, all the nice sparks when fully fueled on straights lap after lap.Since 1994 a wooden plank which is not allowed to be wear more then 1 mm has ended the time of low ride heights for formula one cars.

I agree, if you set suspension(ride height) way too low, the car should get damage, however NOT the suspension. And it will still take rather extreme bottom outs to get damage to the undertray espacially since such cars often have pads on the bottom to protect the car.

Increasing ride height does solve the problem, but irl nobody cares if the car bottoms out at such a corner. But we have to?.. nah not right. Well..ok in F1 they do because they get disqualified if that stupid plank wears too much.
thats cause in old formulas, they were bottoming out the susp via downforce, so it was way more gently than you crashing hard on that exit.
Plus, your not actually DAMAGING it. more like wearing the damper out, due to the extreme bang.leave it for qual and sprints, raise the car a tad for races.
Why do you think race sets sometimes are a tad higher?
Quote from Stigpt :thats cause in old formulas, they were bottoming out the susp via downforce, so it was way more gently than you crashing hard on that exit.
Plus, your not actually DAMAGING it. more like wearing the damper out, due to the extreme bang.leave it for qual and sprints, raise the car a tad for races.
Why do you think race sets sometimes are a tad higher?

Real Race-cars can handle it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQOUKHVydqc
full speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... mqMqc&feature=related

" so it was way more gently than you crashing hard on that exit."
I dissagree, its a normal bottom out of a formula car. If it is a really big bump, raising the ride heigth a little would not help protect the car. Also ride heigth, springs, dampers ar already setup on the high side(but not extreme!)

Dampers do not break from bumps, they wear out faster. But...dampers last very long so wear out effect is not important unless you are doing 48+ hour races. A normal bottom-out does not give problems for the dampers in the real world.
The springs might break, but it is very difficult to do it. In real world it usually takes months or years of heavy loading or an production fault.

So for now i do have to raise the ride heigth and wait and see in the next patch
oh-hum - you've just proved my point. Those cars didnt bottom out in that bump. They did catch air, but I'd be willing to bet my ridicoulous salary that they didnt max out the suspension, to avoid damage.
That WAS pretty harsh - but if the suspension can travel all the way, it can survive. Though after one long race, suspdamage/wear IS there.
#7 - _ak
In old days cars had some rubber between dampers and chassis to reduce negative effect of bottoming out. You could see that in GPL. I don't know whether LFS simulates something like that or not
no, lfs doesnt have packers /yet) - dunno if they are NOT there, or they are there but you cant just adjust them yet.
Here's a replay of an AI driving an FBM when, for no apparent reason, the right-front suspension collapses. It happens on the straight of lap 2 just before turn 1. The car sustained no previous damage. There are some small bumps on the track right where it collapsed, but I'm surprised they could cause this. Is this a bug?
Attached files
AS3_AI_Suspension.spr - 216.7 KB - 330 views
Quote from MustGoFaster :Here's a replay of an AI driving an FBM when, for no apparent reason, the right-front suspension collapses. It happens on the straight of lap 2 just before turn 1. The car sustained no previous damage. There are some small bumps on the track right where it collapsed, but I'm surprised they could cause this. Is this a bug?

I can't watch the replay right now because I am at work. However, does bump in the road sound like a bug? What setup does AI use? Maybe FBM has too much ride reduction? Just a hunch.
Quote from MustGoFaster :Here's a replay of an AI driving an FBM when, for no apparent reason, the right-front suspension collapses. It happens on the straight of lap 2 just before turn 1. The car sustained no previous damage. There are some small bumps on the track right where it collapsed, but I'm surprised they could cause this. Is this a bug?

Strange. Could be a bug in the track, maybe the bumps are too strong if you drive over them at that point/speed.

Is it your replay? Default AI setup?
Quote from marzman :Strange. Could be a bug in the track, maybe the bumps are too strong if you drive over them at that point/speed.

Is it your replay? Default AI setup?

Just the first random failure ever in lfs
Quote from marzman :Is it your replay? Default AI setup?

Yes, my replay. The setup is not the default but it is one that has been used for racing/hotlapping for quite a while w/o incedent. The bumps in that section are small and the suspension setup is reasonable. To me this looks like either some wierd destructive resonant frequency happening, a bug, or a random structural failure (which is kinda cool since structural failures do occur in reality). Be nice to know the real answer though.
#14 - Woz
Real race teams know the tracks well and configure the suspension travel so it can deal with what they throw at it. People sit and pour over tememetry to make sure the car operates with the best compromise for the track.

In LFS people use setups they are given and it might not be for the track they are on. Of course you will see susspension damage

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG