The online racing simulator
Lag, how to fix...
(19 posts, started )
Lag, how to fix...
Hi All,

I am in Sydney Australia and use an unwired BB service in a rental property.

It says on "My Computer" that its running at 10Mbs which I understand is reasonable, not optimal but ok...

Now I am experiencing lag during peak times (evening) and i am asked to leave some local servers which is quite frustrating.

So, do you have any suggestions for me? Or do i just have to get a better connection...

Oh Yeah, My Processor is quite old (AMD 64 3200) 1 gig ram, would this be an issue?
Does it say 10mbs when you test ur speed online or is it what it says onthe botom right icon. If your on a wireless network it might only be your connection to the network that is at 10mbs even though ur connection has 512 kbs for example.

Thats what I think. =/ lets see what the real pros have to say.
yeah after bb speed test im actually getting .022Mbps Thats the problem with wireless BB i guess....
try sticking to australian servers if you can

i suggest going to servers with the lowest ping you can get

wireless in australia is suprisingly slow compared to the rest of the world
Yeah Im trying to race on pro racingroom, but not to piss everyone else off!
Question: are you running off a wireless router or connected to a networked pc?

If the pc isn't too far away try running an ethernet cable from 1 pc to the other. That might help you maintain a constant connection.

One of the main reasons you would be lagging is because with wireless connections, they sometimes drop off which causes you to disappear every now and then.

I race only in PRR and I remember seeing you there. We love to have locals join the server (as well as anyone else) but if lag is a big issue we kindly ask you to fix the problem or please leave. Lag disrupts everybody else's racing because the server is trying harder to retrieve your info.

Hope it works out for you mate and we see you in PRR racing hard and having fun.
Thanks Bones,

Ill be on cable soon as Im am moving...

But i do like to race with you guys on a local server, so hopefully i can fix the problems with unwired...
Quote from Lukaas : Thats the problem with wireless BB i guess....

Wireless is(generally)garbage for gaming in my experience.
If its local servers with a decent ping then you can guarantee it's being on wireless that is the problem.

As i understand it (the true techies will correct me if I'm wrong) with a cable from your router to your computer you get a constant flow of data. With wireless you often get data sent in chunks, causing the lag.

How was that for a non-technical answer
#9 - Jakg
...completely rubbish, Moose :P

Basically the packets that your PC recieves (and sends) can not be recieved, creating "packet loss". This causes lag when gaming, however isn't really an issue for websurfind etc.
Quote from Jakg :...completely rubbish, Moose :P

Basically the packets that your PC recieves (and sends) can not be recieved, creating "packet loss". This causes lag when gaming, however isn't really an issue for websurfind etc.

meh, smart arse. I'm offended by the 'complete rubbish' remark

I should have worded it differently (chunks of data FTL I was deliberately keeping it "low tech")
All i meant was your not getting an uninterrupted flow of data as you would with a cable, and bits are liable to go missing.
I wasn't going to start throwing in phrases such as "packet loss"

I always got grief for talking a language my folks didn't understand and ended up trying to explain things in a way that made sense to them. (very low tech) That explanation would have worked a treat for them.
No, not completely rubbish.

Over TCP, packets are sent in what are called 'windows', these windows are the number of packets that can be sent without an acknowledgement packet being returned to the sender. If this packet is lost/not received, depending on the implementation of the protocl being used, the window either needs to be resent (after a timeout) or the next window send, regardless.

There are a number of causes of lag, varying from erroneous link routing and link node failure (rare), to a simple propagation delay over a network due to the quantity of traffic on a network (and everything in between). Packet loss is, however, the most common - and (in wireless networks) is most commonly due to the varying signal strength exhibited (similar to the quality of your radio broadcast varying).

I'll remove my "trying-to-make-networking-simple" hat now...
Quote from JamesF1 :I'll remove my "trying-to-make-networking-simple" hat now...

Hehe, now that's the kind of 'keeping it simple' that will leave the majority of people born before 1980 in a complete daze

Exactly the kind of thing i was trying to avoid.
nope
Quote from The Moose :Wireless is(generally)garbage for gaming in my experience.

I play lfs almost every night from my wireless router (which is downstairs on the other side of the house, so around 5-10 meters away) and it's near perfect. I've only experienced lag a couple of times when my brother is also online gaming and dad is on Internet as well. But it only lags when somebody leaves or enters the pits for some reason.

I have latest BT vision which includes wireless internet, dont know about speeds ect. but any explanations why it only lags when others pit?
Lukaas,

You said that you like racing in PRR. well we would like to have you racing with us. Seeing as you like racing with us, why don't you join the forum? This way we might be able to help you out with any issues that you may have. The link is......

http://proracingroom.com/forum/index.php

lol ninja kicked him for being too slow
unwired has to go.....
yeah, cable internet and adsl is normally cheaper anyway
Sorry for the hijack, but I am having similar problems. Although I am not using a wireless router, I still find myself lagging after 10 minutes or so in a server. I currently use a cable modem(Motorola SURFboard SB5101), followed by a wired router (SMC7004VBR ) splitting from there to 2 PCs using RJ45 cable (50 feet to one PC and 10 feet to the other). The only fix I can find is to bypass the router altogether, which does not please my significant other. My router is old, but is it the problem?
I was looking into wireless issues for a friend recently and my Googling came up with two things to try:

1. Change your channel to 11 (there are others recommended but 11 is always in the list).

2. Check here.

HTH

Lag, how to fix...
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG