The online racing simulator
New Metallica
(31 posts, started )
New Metallica
Don't like it at all.

Nothing compared to this.
It's a little like with Iron Maiden... the good stuff is the old stuff.
Those tracks have been about for ages. I'll wait to hearing the album before giving judgement. At least Metallica aren't afraid to doing something different, especially when they're good at it too. I was never a big fan of One tbh, that track just doesn't do as much for me as most of their other stuff. Dunno why. As far the Iron Maiden comment, I'd say they are as strong now as ever. Brave New World is still my favourite album by them.
Liking Death... I like this from the 30 seconds from prior to the solo to the end - Needs some refinery though.. The description implies that this isn't the final song.

"The Other New Song" is very punkish. Not a massive fan

Neither appear to actually be all that recent, so who knows
Quote from Bob Smith :As far the Iron Maiden comment, I'd say they are as strong now as ever. Brave New World is still my favourite album by them.

Agreed. 'A Matter Of Life And Death' was easily one of their best albums yet - not many bands would have been able to pull something like that off this far into their careers.
Old Metallica ftw. Haven't really dug anything since The Black Album. I'm glad I saw them live in mid-'93 before they went all Load-y, because both those albums blew arse.

St Anger showed some promise though. The sound was raw and the songs were back to kick-arse thrash territory but the whole thing was just shoddy & underdone, especially production-wise. All the songs were pretty much way too long & the production values really needed to be up a step from where they were. Vocals really should have been done properly instead of that single-take half-arsed bullshit, songs needed to be trimmed down and - for god's sake - that snare drum sound was like a kid beating on a tin bucket. Did my head in. I'm all for a record with a bitey, raw sound (thinks back to GNR's Appetite For Destruction or, more recently, any album by The Black Keys) but come on, a zillion-dollar band ought to know how to pull that sound off and still sound like professionals. Somehow Metallica have never been able to consistently attract a decent engineer/producer. Everything before the awesomely-produced "Black" sounded like it was done in some dude's basement and, unfortunately, the production on the Load albums couldn't do enough to polish the turds that the guys recorded.

Love their new bass player though. Trujillo's a freakin machine!
These tracks are old I hope they dont include them in the new album. If this is the new album sound then rip metallica once for all
Quote from Hankstar :I'm glad I saw them live in mid-'93

Oh, they've still got it live, don't worry about that. I saw them two years ago at Download Festival when they played every song from 'Master of Puppets' right the way through, in order. Awesome.
Shit, that would have been sick. I'd still see 'em live, no worries there. I'm afraid they'd just play too much new crap
I think they all realise how much of a turd St Anger was, as they pretty much never play any of it live. It's pretty much all classics. I think they played 'Frantic' but that was about it, and to be honest it actually sounds pretty good when Lars isn't using a child's minature drum kit as he appears to do on the album
#13 - wien
Not sure about the first one. Has a few good riffs in it, but the whole composition is just a mess. Nothing sounds like it has a purpose. It's just repetitive riff after repetitive riff without consideration of the whole. Much like St.Anger that way really...

Hadn't heard the second one and actually liked it a bit. The refrain is so not Metallica though. Way too cheery and up. Sounds like it should have been the soundtrack to a Tony Hawk game or something. Only lacks the teenage boy vocals...

Over all, not impressed. Everything I hear from them these days seems so sloppy, especially live. This is especially evident when they're playing the old (fast) classics they used to play tight as a drum. It's like they don't really care any more. Shame really as they were oh so good back in the day. /old fart
I recently saw a funny video (funny to me, anyway) where a dude was bashing a metal fold-up chair with a piece of wood. I swear to Jeebers, he was getting the exact snare sound that Lars had on Stanger BONG BONG BONG BONG, effing brilliant
#15 - wien
Quote from Hankstar :...

You mean Lars wasn't banging on metal fold-up chairs on St.Anger? I've heard electric drums without the electric parts sound better that whatever Lars was using there.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Death Is Not The End - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DprBANAVE
The Other New Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMzWCOEFfU

Not impressed tbh. The first one's not too bad, but the second one..

At least Lars Ulrich has finally discovered he's got snare drums again.

Hmmm, I`m not sure if I like it or not. Old metallica songs are way better than the new one imo, and I think those two are a good example of that.

Quote from Bob Smith :Those tracks have been about for ages. I'll wait to hearing the album before giving judgement. At least Metallica aren't afraid to doing something different, especially when they're good at it too. I was never a big fan of One tbh, that track just doesn't do as much for me as most of their other stuff. Dunno why. As far the Iron Maiden comment, I'd say they are as strong now as ever. Brave New World is still my favourite album by them.

Brave new world was a fantastic album, got to love the corus on Brave New World. It still tickles on my back when bruce going high notes while screaming out " A brave new Wooooooooorld! And a brave new...", it`s purelly amazing music, that is a fine mix between heavy rock / rock / more orcestra music really.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Agreed. 'A Matter Of Life And Death' was easily one of their best albums yet - not many bands would have been able to pull something like that off this far into their careers.

True, A matter of life and death is a great album. I`m not sure if it beats the album mention above, but still, it`s awesome and I love listening to it.
Quote from wien :You mean Lars wasn't banging on metal fold-up chairs on St.Anger? I've heard electric drums without the electric parts sound better that whatever Lars was using there.

I just did some research. The guy in the video was beating the actual $5 metal chair that Lars used instead of a snare drum. It was signed by the band (as well as the annoying bastard wanker therapist from Some Kind of Monster and Mega-Dave Mustaine) and he sold it on ebay to some diehard for 5 grand.
I think I got the same feelings bout the first track as I did with the whole St Anger album.

2nds alot different to normal and the 1st track. But again, same feelings.

At first abit hmmm... Now tho I love the album so i'm gonna wait for this album to come out before being really critical.
Quote from Hankstar :Shit, that would have been sick. I'd still see 'em live, no worries there. I'm afraid they'd just play too much new crap

Not read this whole thread but, I saw them last year on the sick of studio tour and they played all the fans favorites - master of puppets, sad but true, nothing else matters, no leaf clover, fuel, one, seek and destroy, creeping death, memory remains etc. Was awesome, only thing I didn't like was it was at the new wembley which doens't make that good a venue really.

Those new songs almost sound a bit rough, like they have got the 90% of it sorted but they havn't done the fine tweaking. I love their older stuff more (motorbreath being fav song) and initially I wasn't so keen on St. Anger but i have all their songs on my mp3 player and if you have it on random the st anger songs are close to their older 'thrash metal' days and it has grown on me.
Quote from jibber :It's a little like with Iron Maiden... the good stuff is the old stuff.

The new stuff sounds exactly the same as the old stuff... I know because Iron Maiden has the same effect on me still, it's the fastest way to get me undressed short of an Aston Martin. OK sure, Run to the Hills will probably be their epitath, but to me Iron Maiden havn't changed at all.

As for these new Metalicca songs, um, well, i'll wait for the album before I cast a judgement - but I think I might try to overhear it first...
Quote from Becky Rose :The new stuff sounds exactly the same as the old stuff... I know because Iron Maiden has the same effect on me still, it's the fastest way to get me undressed short of an Aston Martin. OK sure, Run to the Hills will probably be their epitath, but to me Iron Maiden havn't changed at all.

As for these new Metalicca songs, um, well, i'll wait for the album before I cast a judgement - but I think I might try to overhear it first...

Uhhh. Don't maiden have 3 guitarists now?
Anyways I'm no big fan of mettalicrap.
Oh the old days they were really good, but as time went by.
I saw the Master of Puppets tour when they were opening for Ozzy. THAT was metallica at it's best. You can tell how much Cliff Burton was the driving force of that band when he was alive and you can see the difference in the style of music after he died.

Oh yeah, I had an ex girlfriend whose sister lived in a house on a street called Acacia Avenue - not 22 though.
Cliff 'em all :up:
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :I think I got the same feelings bout the first track as I did with the whole St Anger album.

2nds alot different to normal and the 1st track. But again, same feelings.

At first abit hmmm... Now tho I love the album so i'm gonna wait for this album to come out before being really critical.

All my favourites \m/,...
http://youtu.be/pBB7xwgaqww

Covers by...
FERAL CIRCUS
www.feralcircus.co.uk
-
(DeadWolfBones) DELETED by DeadWolfBones : lol necrobump
5 years on and the only thing to have changed is my favorite Maiden song.

Which is The Clansman from Ed Hunter and Virtual XI.

Or any other Blaze Bailey song.

As for Metallica, I'm not expecting Two any time soon...

New Metallica
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG