The online racing simulator
Quote from mutt107 :thats where draft comes in to play

Exactly.

There's a reason why Jacques Villeneuve could not get to the front at all during his debut in Talladega and a veteran like Kenny Wallace (who is in a car that could not qualify for half of the races might i remind you) managed to out draft him and a lot of other people to get to the front despite the fact that he was running around 28th (which is major traffic jam).

The extreme amount of attention and skill that's needed to focused on drafting and aerodynamic setup makes to all the more complicating and exciting. Someone who's unskilled or unexperienced will usually not be able to outdraft anyone and thus always run in the back (Ha, and there's still people who thinks that oval racing is just going in circles :rolleyes

Also, it's rarely pedal to the metal. If you cannot throttle control your way around the oval you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE AERO PUSH you only experience in a giant pack (something road course racing lacks)

Quote from WizardHat :There is seriously something wrong if someone doesn't find that sort of stuff exciting.

Personally I see Oval Racing as one of, if not the most exciting form of motorsport, I don't think there's another form in the world where you can see 3 or 4 drivers coming around the same turn at 200mph+ all going for the same peice of bitumen.

Quote from atlantian :...blah...

What are you actually trying to accomplish here anyway? I think no one's got a problem if you can't stand this sort of racing but why the heck are you trying so desperately to boo us with such ridicules comments? Is it because you simple dont know better or because you just dont understand the concept or is it because you need this for some other nasty reasons? Regarding to your comments it's rather obvious that you ain't got a clue - at all. So i suggest you get yourself a little education and simple switch on your brain before you "think" that you have to create another reply.
I would like another oval track, ive had some fun times on the FM server some of my wins came from the oval which i clinched when i had to sit back and get off the gas for that half a second so i could make the pass stick when i made it, It makes you think racing on an oval and if your drafting with an experienced person it can get extreamly exciting.

I like most forms of motorsport theres only a few i dont like anything that involves break neck speeds and one little slip up and its over, i have to say thats some good watching.
You do know Atlantian is just trolling, right? Look at all his other threads...

PS - Not being dragged into this debate because if i dare to disagree with a certain member i'll get lots of crap flung at me.
I think with an inferior arcade-like physics-engine oval-driving would be pointless.

but neither real life nor LFS have an inferior physics-engine. I get the impression that most of the bashers here don't drive at all in RL or never got close to the limits in real life.

imagine bolting down a straight heading towards a bend, your car weighs as much as a family-sedan, you're going ridiculously fast and you traded all your downforce for speed on the straights. braking or even releasing the throttle in such a situation will pump a lot of adrenaline thru your body (if you're not already brain-dead) as the car gets unstable in an ugly way.
in your back are 10 other cars so you have to stay on the edge... with 2 mph less you can make the turn quite safely, but with 1 mph less 5 of the 10 cars will pass...

Of course, if the oval is soooo big that you can shoot an SS without any downforce thru all the bends at topspeed, it's pointless and you might aswell model a freaking long piece of autobahn. But any bend that forces you to just back off a bit after a high- or topspeed-section will make it exciting.

Finally, I wonder again why some people would bash certain suggestions (and oval relatet content is certainly not to be compared to spinnerz, NOS and bodykits) that aim to enhance LFS. It appears to me like a "nooooooo, I want the devs to implent MY whishes first"-attitude. I have no other explanation for this.

Ah, yeah. Just wanted to leave a comment about comparing F1, Rally, NASCAR etc...
Is F1 so much racing? Hasn't it become just a big marketing platform? For me F1 one is as much about racing as American Idol is about music. No offense though - it can be enjoyable from time to time, but it sure isn't the best example for "real" racing.
Rally? Yeah cool, man and machine fighting nature... or a path thru it. I LOVE rally-driving , I love how they fix their crooked suspension with a rubber mallet. But hey, is rally a good example for "real" racing? Is a rally-driver a good race-driver? In the end there's no overtaking, and overtaking is a crucial part of motor-racing, isn't it.

Dudes, it's about taste, really! If you don't like heavy stockcars on ovals, leave them in the garage, but don't spoil the others' fun... or take the stockcar for a lap in South City. Might be fun.
Open your minds.

+1 for oval-related stuff (incl. stockcars of the late 60's / 70's)

+101 for any additional car and tracks
I find RL stock car racing rather enjoying to watch
Ovals arent al the same trust me
This comes from a DTM fan(old days that is)

But for LFs with al these noobs BAD!! idea its like this 45 cars on one grid

80% is a noob

explonaision: 3:2:1: go!!!!!! :heyjoeani vrooom:eclipseeh : oh noo!!!!:scared: :yikes:a bunch of .... --->:snail::snail::snail::snail::snail:NOOBS:SCHreeeeech!!!(tyre squel) Crash-->:hbomb:After the crash--->:bananadea:ambulance::tombstone
i dont want a nascar thingy in lfs....i dont see the point of nascar..they just drive alot alot laps in just one left turn

this is just my feeling about nascar,but i dont miss it at all

so -10 for me
Quote from asbjoern :i dont want a nascar thingy in lfs....i dont see the point of nascar..they just drive alot alot laps in just one left turn

so -10 for me

Did you read a single bit of this entire thread? Please don't bash things you don't totally understand. Also, something like this could be implemented in LFS, but no one is forcing YOU to drive on an oval.
this really hurts doesn't it? :doh:

Quote from asbjoern :i dont want a nascar thingy in lfs....i dont see the point of nascar..they just drive alot alot laps in just one left turn

so -10 for me

READ

Quote from lizardfolk :I would find fighting a 43 car pack all within 3 seconds of each other going 3-4 wide on a oval much more appealing than fighting a rival on a difficult road course with the next car 10 seconds away.

Just a matter of taste. However, a different taste is no reason to troll stock car fans.

Besides, u hardly go full throttle on short tracks like Bristol or Martinsville (they are only .5 miles), so no actually you need quite a lot of throttle control on ovals.

But what you say it's true...it's not real "driving". But isn't RACING suppose to be more important than driving? Ovals are the ultimate form of car competition and that in itself is what makes ovals exiting. To me, that's all that matters

I have enough respect for racing in general that I dont go around and troll "OMG THIS SUCKS ITS BORING" to whatever discipline I find boring. I try to stay as open minded as possible because in the end, racing is racing. They all require skill and they are all exciting in their own way. All that matters is your own personal preferences. But have enough respect for yourself to leave those who are different alone

It seems that oval bashers lack cognitive reasoning and apparently the ability to read -_-
ahhhh

lol

sorry guys

dont mind my post
yes, it is a close competition, one mistake and you would forced out of the front of the pack, there is stratigic usage of tailgating and downhills to pass people. but it seems like-no...

what am i saying is that, dispite all u said, it proves that nascar is boring. you sit and wait for moments, you stratigically place ur self in the pack, you bump stratigically yes, dispite what you all said, IT'S BORING! and you can do that in LFS with a bunch of people driving in a close pack around the track already. NASCAR is not about Aero, it's all about the oval and pack driving. I personally think this is all about attempting to drive faster then ever, but that's hella boring. Oval is crap, everything you said just strengthens my stand.
Quote from atlantian :.........mindless jabber............

Wow. please stop making your fellow americans look like complete idiots. You are aware however that NASCAR IS the #1 spectator sport in the US don't you? Look it up
It is pointless to argue about oval racing because people are idiots and they are going to keep on thinking the same dumb things they always do no matter how many valid points you bring up. Look at atlantian.

"NASCAR is not about Aero"

That right there proves that he knows absoultely nothing about stock car racing and isn't even worth the time it takes to type a post telling him why he's wrong.
Quote from UncleBenny :
That right there proves that he knows absoultely nothing (insert whatever here) and isn't even worth the time it takes to type a post telling him why he's wrong.

wow.
can I copy this into my signature? it happens soooooo often, not only in this forum...
Sure, although I didn't say he knows nothing. I said he knows nothing about Nascar. The word "about" is key.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :I find RL stock car racing rather enjoying to watch
Ovals arent al the same trust me
This comes from a DTM fan(old days that is)

But for LFs with al these noobs BAD!! idea its like this 45 cars on one grid

80% is a noob

explonaision: 3:2:1: go!!!!!! :heyjoeani vrooom:eclipseeh : oh noo!!!!:scared: :yikes:a bunch of .... --->:snail::snail::snail::snail::snail:NOOBS:SCHreeeeech!!!(tyre squel) Crash-->:hbomb:After the crash--->:bananadea:ambulance::tombstone

lol that was funny to read
Quote from lizardfolk :Oh and Fisch you forgot that Trucks Daytona finish (which is probably one of the best finished of ALL). Sheesh coming off the last turn it seriously looked like Kvapil had won I mean COME ON a last minute pass on the straightaway 0_o. I bet you Travis was going like wtf!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBQuxw-Nfj0

every time i see this i go like: "Oh... My... God..."

i mean, what happed to his car? did he had a failure or slipped of the throttle... or was it just the ultimative move of jack
Quote from atlantian :Oval is crap, everything you said just strengthens my stand.

thats good for me! you know why? now i know, i will never be on the same track like you for racing purpose (one noob less to think about...). btw. why are you here as a "Demo User"? do you have a "real account" or are you banned already with that one?
Quote from atlantian :

what am i saying is that, dispite all u said, it proves that nascar is boring. you sit and wait for moments, you stratigically place ur self in the pack, you bump stratigically yes

You do the same in road courses. In fact you have to sit and wait even MORE since the pack spreads out so much. Dont overestimate the "excitement" of driving a difficult curvy circuit. That'll run dry real fast if there's no competition to back that up

Quote from atlantian : you can do that in LFS with a bunch of people driving in a close pack around the track already.

No you cant. Driving with heavy competition on a road course will not last more than 5 laps while on ovals it last for the entire race. THINK BEFORE YOU POST

Quote from atlantian : NASCAR is not about Aero, it's all about the oval and pack driving. I personally think this is all about attempting to drive faster then ever, but that's hella boring. Oval is crap, everything you said just strengthens my stand.

DID YOU NOT READ A SINGLE WORD?

Oval racing require MUCH more aero than ANY OTHER FORM OF MOTORSPORTS and stop referring oval racing as NASCAR. There's plenty of other oval series like IndyCar and ARCA (which i prefer over NASCAR)

I cant understand how you would use the argument of "ovals provide much more competition than road courses" as a ground to be AGAINST oval racing? That in itself just defies logic. Do you even understand a little something called RACING?

Quote from atlantian : IT'S BORING!

Dont state your opinion as if it's the universal truth

In MY opinion close competition is what makes ovals exciting. How you can find close racing boring is completely beyond me. Maybe you dont understand the concept of racing

Quote from lizardfolk :It seems that oval bashers lack cognitive reasoning and apparently the ability to read -_-

Apparently this statement is being proven. Word of advice READ AND PONDER BEFORE POSTING
just give it up lizardfolk, dont you see that guy is just an attention whore? He is wasting our time for too long already now shall we just ignore him already or do you want to go on with this for another 10 pages?

Quote from UncleBenny :It is pointless to argue about oval racing because people are idiots and they are going to keep on thinking the same dumb things they always do no matter how many valid points you bring up. Look at atlantian.

That right there proves that he knows absoultely nothing about stock car racing and isn't even worth the time it takes to type a post telling him why he's wrong.

Quote from UncleBenny :It is pointless to argue about oval racing because people are idiots and they are going to keep on thinking the same dumb things they always do no matter how many valid points you bring up. Look at atlantian.

it is not, aero is prevalent in ALL auto racing sport. if it is then nascar is more embarrassingly simple then i thought because that would be just stripping everything out and looking at a skeleton of a race. which would and is god awfully BORING
Quote from Fischfix :thats good for me! you know why? now i know, i will never be on the same track like you for racing purpose (one noob less to think about...). btw. why are you here as a "Demo User"? do you have a "real account" or are you banned already with that one?

i'm cheap
Quote from atlantian :it is not, aero is prevalent in ALL auto racing sport. if it is then nascar is more embarrassingly simple then i thought because that would be just stripping everything out and looking at a skeleton of a race. which would and is god awfully BORING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-nYsRX7uZo

listen closely (meaning the commentary starting at 5:30 in particular)!illepall

PS: added atlantian to my ignore list.
^nvmnd, sounds hilarious, if there was a play by play of a 200mph traffic jam, that's what it would sound like

Stock Cars and Oval Tracks!
(245 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG