The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I think I might haffto mortgage out my iMac to pay for a year of it.
I'll swap your iMac for a month of it.
maybe iracing its thinking about possible rela racers, uand use the software for training before competition....from my point of view pay 150 bucks for a year and GET NONTHING on my pc, please, the racing community is not stupid.
I need my iMac, It's where all my...

Movies are?

:hide:
"Those" movies?
I'm thinking about buying a mac soon. I need a phone, notebook and... probably a car.

I couldn't be less excited about having a car. I'm even more excited about having a mobile phone again, but mostly because all the people who used to text me won't have the number.
Kev, my iMac can run Crysis, the newer ones should run it better too.

Too bad the most fun I had with Crysis was shooting the trees.
*get's hold of Kevs number and texts: hey mate want to come drink a pint with us this evening? i know u have to work tomorrow. But we will go home early ,just a pint or two and ull be home by ten. Might even be able to offer u a spliff that we can smoke on the way home..for old times sake eh?*

edit : hush dustin ,we all know he "works" :P from home, but since he isn't used to drinking (read another thread for proof) i doubt he'll be able to work the day after drinking and chasing Connie Montoya. (who really is the toiletlady at the pub..but dont tell him!)
Long live hangovers!
Kev works at home, so it's not a problem
I'm a bit spooked by the amount of information Noccy's got about me just from reading this forum. Time to delete more posts!
Forget it guys, this iRacing stuff is not meant for you. At least, that's what I conclude after reading this on their site:
Quote :
With the unparalleled accuracy and authenticity of its racing simulations, and its position of influence within the new and growing sport of simracing, iRacing.com's primary audience is the global motorsport market, including professional and amateur drivers, engineers and other industry professionals, as well as racing fans around the world. Within North America, that market includes an estimated 451,000 active participants with a median household income of $98,500 and well-established brand loyalty. But iRacing.com's reach extends well beyond the racing enthusiast and the confines of the North American continent.

As viewership for traditional, television-based entertainment continues to fragment and decline, the popularity of interactive, broadband-enabled entertainment is on the rise. Last year 1.4 million people spent $344 million for online gaming subscriptions, and Massively Multi-Player Online Games (MMOGs) have attracted an estimated 25 – 30 million participants worldwide. Sports Sims will soon replace the traditional passive TV sports audience experience, redefining what "sports entertainment" is at its core.

Looks like iRacing is aimed at two groups:
  1. People who run a real race car, and need maximum accuracy of physics (but don't care much for graphical perfection).
  2. People who like to watch races (be it online or real).
The first group will happily pay the subscription, if they get accurate physics. The second group won't have to pay, because they will use a free "spectator" application (think LFS Remote).

The average LFS user is neither. LFS has imaginary tracks, and most cars are either imaginary or out of reach for amateur/semi-pro racers. And LFS'ers want to race themselves, not just sit watching.

Notice that the cars that will be in iRacing are standardized and/or produced in series. I don't think you will ever drive high-profile cars like LMP, F1, or WTCC, because if they were modeled to perfection they would leak trade secrets.
The most important thing for me in a racing sim is that there's someone to race against online. I was worried that LFS would lose its already smallish user base in US timezones when iRacing came out.

With this pricing scheme, I'm not so worried anymore. With that kind of pricing, I'd say more than 50% of the target audience (sim racers we assume) can't or won't buy it. If you can only ever find five fellow millionaires online, it doesn't matter if it has the best physics and every real car and track ever made.

Proposed name: iRacingByMyself
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm a bit spooked by the amount of information Noccy's got about me just from reading this forum. Time to delete more posts!

Kev, my info txt file on you is actually larger than the backup of the X-System database...

Kev, ye need a new phone, eh?

I've got a brand new Motorola flip-phone with a camera, bluetooth etc, unlocked, brand new, can be yours for £30 + P&P...
Quote from wsinda :Forget it guys, this iRacing stuff is not meant for you. At least, that's what I conclude after reading this on their site:
Looks like iRacing is aimed at two groups:
  1. People who run a real race car, and need maximum accuracy of physics (but don't care much for graphical perfection).
  2. People who like to watch races (be it online or real).
The first group will happily pay the subscription, if they get accurate physics. The second group won't have to pay, because they will use a free "spectator" application (think LFS Remote).

The average LFS user is neither. LFS has imaginary tracks, and most cars are either imaginary or out of reach for amateur/semi-pro racers. And LFS'ers want to race themselves, not just sit watching.

Notice that the cars that will be in iRacing are standardized and/or produced in series. I don't think you will ever drive high-profile cars like LMP, F1, or WTCC, because if they were modeled to perfection they would leak trade secrets.

Looks like you have quite vivid imagination. Why don't you just wait for the release to see what they are actually offering?

For crying out loud, all we know atm is the price.
Quote from Jakg :Kev, ye need a new phone, eh?

I've got a brand new Motorola blah blah

I don't need one for a couple of months at least. I'm putting it off for as long as I can. And I'm going to get the cheapest, naffest-looking phone I can find as a form of protest.
If you get a phone 'worse' than mine it will be an achievement. Siemens MT50 here. Makes calls, rings and sends and receives texts. What else do you need? I'll only replace it once the battery finally stops holding charge. I don't need it to surf the net, play music, be my diary, play games, take photos, wake me up, record video, load windows, connect via bluetooth, or anything else modern phones like to brag about.
I could buy a new battery for one of the half dozen Nokia 3210s I've still got lying around in the box full of dead phones in the attic. It would cost me £3.99.
I have Siemens C55, really good phone, worthless as notebook, calendar or what ever else, also I have Nokia phones, those are crappy as phones, but one has compass, it is quite neat tool to have

Thing is if I should buy new phone now, I have no idea other than it won't be Nokia
Quote from JTbo : I have no idea other than it won't be Nokia

Why not a Nokia? I was also a Nokia hater earlier, mainly cause of their awefull designs back there, but since i bought a 6230i 2 years ago i became a Nokia fan And since they changed a designer, they're also among best looking once now, along with Samsung.
But the fact is, Nokia has the best and most logical menu, and typing SMS is a pleasure, also they are very well bulit and feel very solid and robust in hand.
I tested a couple of these new Sony ericsons and it feels like it will fall apart in my hand.. And the best bit is, couple of them don't have a zoom when you view pictures..
Nokia or Samsung, there's really no alternative IMO..
Quote from JTbo :but one phone has compass, it is quite neat tool to have

Lol, thats quite neat, a compass in a phone or is it a phone in a compass ?. When i was a kid i had a pair of boots that had a compass in the heel, and i think the tread looked liked bear prints or something ??

Anyway, back on topic: I've got one of these 3G Samsung flip phone thingies, and bloody hell it don't half drain the battery, needs to be recharged every night. And it seems as though some bloke called Tariq has been giving my number out instead of his. Been getting all sorts of weird calls and messages recently...
sim·u·la·tion
[noun] The reproduction of the essential features of something, for example, as an aid to study or training*

or in our case you better like ours cus your paying by month for it
Quote from Boris Lozac :Why not a Nokia? I was also a Nokia hater earlier, mainly cause of their awefull designs back there, but since i bought a 6230i 2 years ago i became a Nokia fan And since they changed a designer, they're also among best looking once now, along with Samsung.
But the fact is, Nokia has the best and most logical menu, and typing SMS is a pleasure, also they are very well bulit and feel very solid and robust in hand.
I tested a couple of these new Sony ericsons and it feels like it will fall apart in my hand.. And the best bit is, couple of them don't have a zoom when you view pictures..
Nokia or Samsung, there's really no alternative IMO..

Buggy software + crap sound quality with weird quircks or how would you describe, anyway there is lot of noise that is not present with C55.

Nokias tested 3100, 5100, 6150, 6310i, 6600, 5150i (I think this one had compass), N90, N75, sorry if some numbers are bit off, too long time to remember all company phones

I have also some S65 Siemens I think this is, very crappy phone, only good thing is big screen and logical menu.

I have bought only 4 phones in my life, Gorbatshov model, Ericsson some blocky model where was replaceable antenna, C55 (Only phone I bought as new) and S65 (I think it was that number), so far I don't see need to buy new one for long time as company phone will change anyway every now and then and c55 should last few years

I protest consuming without any real need, not because of enviroment but because of insanity involved, so I don't replace my phones more often than I change my underwear
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG