Poll : Ps3 or Xbox 360 ??

Closed since :
xbox 360
playstation 3
PS3 is a superior console
360 has superior games (at the moment)
Wii is most fun!

(Yes, I'm lucky and have all 3)
Quote from paddy_racer :Both really just to let you know MS is announcing a new xbox system at E3 this year

Yes, I think it is a portable xbox, they wont release a new xbox for a couple of years yet, don't think they will bring any version out better then the elite now.

Edit: I think they are also bringing another version of the 360 with a better motherboard and a internal hd-dvd drive, if they bring out a new motherboard, I hope they do so you can buy just the motherboard and replace the original one, it is to soon for them to release a new xbox console yet.
If they do, they'll just loss customers because people have just bought one and if they bring a new console out, it will piss everyone off.
it is the 360 Ultimate (160GB HDD with HD-DVD drive)
#29 - Ziil
With the 360 you really have to be lucky when you get one alot of em die on you with in the first two months ms does not want to admit it but alot of the consoles also kill your games so if you wanna try your luck then yes the 360 has a much much better selection of games but I would trust the ps3 more
i going to buy a Xbox 360 :P
I've had no issues with my new 360. The first one went fairly quickly but the repair time was fast. And now they're coming with 65nm chips there doesn't seem to be anything like as many problems.

I choose the 360 not only on the choice of games (although that helps) but the issues that PS3 games are having. CoD4 still suffers with horrible hardware and software lag on the PS3 version. Same goes for PES 2008. They keep patching to try and fix it but it doesn't seem to be a quick process.

I think Blu-ray is going to win the HD format war anyway, so that makes my other argument (that if HD DVD won you'd have a £300 paperweight) null and void.
PS3 Ima Sony guy! Have had PS1 and PS2 the day they came out!
360 wins out for me, every time. At the moment, it has a better game selection, cheaper games, better online service, better periphals, and more people own one, so its easier to find a decent game online. I can't see any of this changing over the next 12 months. Oh and its cheaper, £180 will get you an Arcade pack with a couple of games, inc one of the best driving games/sims released (IMO).

Its not perfect though..the units are built to a budget - the DVD drives don't have safety pads to secure the disks that even most basic computer drives do, I lost my 1st Forza copy to this problem (permanent fix - £2 and a couple of bits of adhesive foam). And they stop working a lot, although it seems the recent re-design of the cooling, and a switch to 65nm may sort this. The 3yr warranty for this bug is nice, but it shouldn't be necessary.
PS3 at the moment. Free online gaming is one of my favourite features, and the ease of use of the store. There is a lack of really big titles at the moment, and all the amazing games are either only 360 or both; nothing unique. I also heard that Splinter Cell 5 is only going to be 360... I only have limited experiece with the 360. I was actually going to buy a 360 out of the money I earned with my Christmas job, but now I'm paying for a holiday to France with my friends instead...

I sorely miss Halo 3, Forza 2 and PGR 3 and 4. That probably warrants buying one.
From what I've heard, Heavenly Sword is THE money game for the PS3. Sounds frickin insane Throw in the inevitable PS-favourite Silent Hills, Resident Evils, GTs, Metal Gears, GTA IV and more and the PS3 sounds like a plan to me. But then, having a PS1 and PS2 in the house may make me a little biased
True, and same with the Resident Evils and some other titles (there was a RE remake for Gamecube and an RE4 is out for the Wii)...I guess I'm just a loyalist looking for reasons to stay that way Plus I have an aversion to giving money to Microsoft
Xbox 360, the PS3 costs way too much and it is just as unreliable as the 360. If your 360 does die, its not an issue because Microsoft send you a brand new one. If the PS3 was a lot less expensive then I would buy one.
Big ninja games PC
#39 - J.B.
For some people the fact that the HD format war is over, with Blu Ray as the winner over HD DVD may make the PS3 more interesting than it was before. AFAIK it's still the only decent Blu Ray player you can buy.
Quote from nmx :PS3 by a long shot. I have PS3, bro has 360 and PS3 is superior. Much better console all round - it's not perfect (yet), but it's all being updated and it'll lead the way in soon time.

I wouldn't reccomend a 360, unless you're really only bothered about shooters and don't mind your console guaranteed to break at some point.

Uh? thats not right, alot of different games on Xbox 360, do some research.
for the money you pay for a PS3 you can upgrade your computer to have better specs than it.

I compared my specs to the PS3 and 360 and my computer still has more raw computing power than either of them, and my WHOLE computer only cost me around $900 canadian after the last upgrades (about $200 during boxing day)
I'm still not convinced that Cell is everything they're saying it is. I don't like the sound of the architecture, and the fact that the PS3 has to use the same cores for the gfx card as well makes me a little sceptical. It might be great for a supercomputer that wants to crank out numbers, but I remain unconvinced.

Clearly you have no idea on the PS3 failure rate though. Firstly, until you take a cross-section of the same number of people you can't compare. PS3 just passed 1 million units, it's not shocking that there's not been as many failure reports as one that's sold (according to MS) 17 million. Besides, MS already dealt with the problems of the 90nm chips, so we should be comparing the current PS3 to the current 360.

There are already numerous reports (one, two, three) starting to trickle in about Sony's baby. Whether they are isolated cases or early signs of faulty hardware remains to be seen.

I'd personally find it so funny if the PS3's alleged 40% failure rate turned out to be true - 7% higher than what MS said the 360 had. After all that bad-mouthing the 360 got, that would make my day
Well, I have a launch day 360 and Ps3, both ge used every day, are both are still in complete working order!
cool
Quote from nmx :Haha, you have no clue what you're talking about then. For a few $100, you'd never get anything nearly as powerful as the CELL/RSX combination.

Lol blow me, I bet 5-10% of people on this forum have better graphics cards than in the PS3.

Ooooooh you've got 9 cores.... shame no-one can develop for them due to the horribly complicated SDK. I think the most use they've been so far is for folding farms. n1.

Quote :
You also have no clue. The PS3 has a <0.1% failure rate, where as the 360 has 100% (all of them are guaranteed to overheat).. BIG difference. PS3's quality is superior to the 360.

Learn some figures, noob.

I wonder how the PS3 would cope with Crysis in full HD, oh wait, it wouldn't.

Lol @ Dajmin

Phew thats a suitably immature post over with.
#46 - wien
Quote from Dajmin :I'm still not convinced that Cell is everything they're saying it is.

It isn't, you can be sure about that.

Quote from Dajmin :I don't like the sound of the architecture, and the fact that the PS3 has to use the same cores for the gfx card as well makes me a little sceptical.

It doesn't use the same cores for graphics. That probably was Sony's intention but they seriously overestimated what they'd be able to do with the Cell (It lacks most of what makes GPUs fly, texture-units and blending hardware comes to mind). So, they added the RSX (mostly a bog standard 7800GTX) upping the cost considerably.

The Cell may be a powerful chip if given the right data to work on (It's a ray-tracing beast for instance). The problem is that games just can't take advantage of it without some serious engineering effort. Unless you're developing exclusively for the PS3, or are developing middle ware (Epic comes to mind), very few game developers can allow themselves to put in this effort. And when you don't put the extra effort in, the Cell becomes a pretty pathetic excuse for a processor, roughly equivalent to one of the 3 cores in the 360 (which also suck compared to a reasonably recent x86 processor).
got a wii for christamas. got bored with it after about 4 months. played my friends ps3 thought it was gay. so i went and bought a 360 . best thing ive ever bought
Ah, y'see. I always thought Cell just palmed off a couple of cores to focus on graphics. I've read the stories about it being modded to work as a "supercomputer" of sorts, so obviously it must be capable of some impressive calcs. Maybe we should hook a few up to add to the long pi thread

And the Wii is a good console, but if you were expecting Wii Sports to keep you interested then it's no wonder you got bored. I've not had the disc in my machine since the day I got it. You should've tried Resi 4 or Godfather: Blackhand instead
#49 - J.B.
If Cell is so amazing then where are all the great linux apps for the PS3? Although it could also be that open source devs just aren't capable and focussed enough to make anything innovative rather than the hardware not being good enough.
#50 - wien
Quote from J.B. :Although it could also be that open source devs just aren't capable and focussed enough to make anything innovative rather than the hardware not being good enough.

But they generally also love cool hardware, so if anyone would make it fly it'd be the Open Source guys. I know the Mesa guys are working on a "software" OpenGL implementation on the Cell which is supposed to be pretty good. Still no match for a real GPU though.

The Cell is a great chip for certain workloads like raytracing and folding. If pure FLOPS is what you need, Cell is what you want. That said, a modern GPU with a Quad core by it's side would murder the PS3 Cell chip even there (granted you had the required software), but at a higher cost of course.

The Cell just isn't a good processor for games as they have very different workloads they need to deal with in addition to the number crunching. It's also way too different from anything else out there and that makes it hard to take advantage of. The 360 processor is probably a better choice in that it is "just" a conventional multi-core processor, something developers already have to target on the PC.

Ps3 or Xbox 360 ??
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG