The online racing simulator
Nitrogen in GTR tires?
(40 posts, started )
Quote from Osco :and a financial one tire fitters fill new tires with nitrogen and charge (of course) extra for this. I don't think it helps bollox on the street...

I doubt his tyre fitter does it. They have the evacuation stuff, and bottles of nitrogen in their transporter.
#27 - Osco
Quote from ajp71 :A relation to Chris Timms?

There's already been a valid suggestion as to why nitrogen could be far more useful in road cars than most racing cars, preventing rot. Having said that I've only seen a few tires that have been replaced because of rot, and they'd all been racing sicks for a few decades anyway so I think in most cases they'll wear first.

my point exactly..

Quote from tristancliffe :I doubt his tyre fitter does it. They have the evacuation stuff, and bottles of nitrogen in their transporter.

not sure...

I change my tire pressure quite often, for street and track use. I can't be arsed to use nitrogen for every single pressure check and/or change..
if that means they'll rot, so be it, but I doubt they have a chance to rot before they are worn to the chords..
You are aware that I'm referring to slick racing tyres, where rot isn't the slightest bit of concern. Having said that, I work with 30 - 80 year old cars, and have not seen rot being a major problem yet, except in tyres we've stored outside for about 20 years un-mounted and open the elements.

We don't change our pressures much - I leave my road car pressures alone, and we don't tweak race pressures much either - on a trackday we won't change cold pressures at all.

No idea about Chris Timms, but I'd suspect not. (who is Chris Timms?)
Quote from tristancliffe :
No idea about Chris Timms, but I'd suspect not. (who is Chris Timms?)

He runs MT Motorsport (who have a track side spares and services stall, who would likely have that kind of thing with them anyway) and races in F4.
What the hell is wrong with you people??? Tires burning because of a blow out? Then i'd be rolling on fire everytime i'd puncture a tube on my bike!!! And that was at least 5 or more times this year alone (and it was generally a very good year). Nitrogen is put in, as said, solely because moisture makes the pressure changes more unpredictable. Pure nitrogen is dry and the pressure raises (or lowers) linearly with the temperature. And don't give stupid comments about not changing the pressure from heating/cooling. No substance known to man can do that. Everything changes size (and/or shape) when heated/cooled down. Gasses exapnd a whole lot mroe than for example metal. But if train tracks were welded togheter and screwed down, they would warp like as nake. And that has happened. Don't know how they keep TGV's track straight and true because those are welded (because they have to be smooth for the train not to derail at 320 kph and that is also a lot more comfotrable). They are prolly anchored down like mad.
Ferrari where using co2 last year, it behaves very similar to nitrogen in that its pressure doesn't vary much, however it aparently had something to do with blistering
A quick though, maybe the rubber is too porous and nitrogen can get through? THe molecule is bonded really close togheter (triple bond) and is also lighter than the CO2 bond (which is 14 grams per mol heavier) and is also quite a lot bigger (3 atoms, bonded with double bonds).

Just a quickie though. Pure hydrogen is after all VERY hard to store, since it can go through most of the materials, but it is really REALLY small after all.
Quote from TheChad :Ferrari where using co2 last year, it behaves very similar to nitrogen in that its pressure doesn't vary much, however it aparently had something to do with blistering

Ferrari were using a refridgerent gas combined with CO2, in various ratios, not just CO2.
i don't think that lfs support tires going flat... so this would be kinda pointless
Erm.. LFS does have flat tires, and why would that make any difference?
lol the fact that there'd be 0.0000000...01% increase in nitrogen in the air I can't imagine would make any difference.
There wouldn't be any increase since they get the nitrogen from the air...

Tristan does that have anything to do with cooling the tires down? Or something like that...
Quote from wark :LFS should model this—at least for the BF1.

well LFS should model more than this for the BF1..
becuz Ferrari uses Hydrofluorocarbon (HFC R404A) to inflate their tyres which contains 52 percent tetrafluoroethane, 44 percent pentafluoroethane and four percent trifluoroethane

ps. this is totally true i am not making this up

Quote from tristancliffe :Ferrari were using a refridgerent gas combined with CO2, in various ratios, not just CO2.

Again, Ferrari were using a ~50:50 mix of the HFC with CO2 not one gas on it's own.

I know you're not making it up, but you need to read the rest of the paragraph before copy-pasting.
Quote from tristancliffe :Again, Ferrari were using a ~50:50 mix of the HFC with CO2 not one gas on it's own.

I know you're not making it up, but you need to read the rest of the paragraph before copy-pasting.

opps oh yeah thanks for the info i totally miss the next sentence :bowdown:
Even train tracks have expansion joints most things do, steel and concrete bridges have them.

XCNuse do you have a link to this nitrogen in tyres info?
as someone has already pointed out air is over 80% nitrogen and yes the other 20% contains some water vapour, but not that wet

I dont see any real world gain form using 100% proof nitrogen over 80% proof

SD.

Nitrogen in GTR tires?
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG