The online racing simulator
Overtaking Techniques
(10 posts, started )
#1 - J@tko
Overtaking Techniques
Can some people give me (and others) some advice on clean overtaking - and some foolproof methods. I'm fairly quick (on a kb!), and I usually finish CTRA races in the points (just), about 6-8th place.

My current favourite techniques are the switchback and the slipstream & outbrake. The thing is - I often hit people (not deliberately!) when trying to overtake them.

Any advice on how to overtake cleanly and easily?

Many thanks

J@tko
#2 - GabbO
Well, not really.. Thats situation dependant.
Just keep in head, that the other racer also needs some room to survive.
It takes practice to get used to how much space you need to leave for another car. You'll get the hang of it soon enough. In the meantime, try not to be following closely behind another car going into a braking zone unless you've seen where they brake and got a good feel for their driving. If you're at all unsure, line up next to them instead so at least you won't rear-end them if they brake early.
Im usually very close on the safe areas (bumber to bumber),
but drop back for more tricky parts for few meters, often when you put enough pressure the other guy try defensive outbreaking on the corner, messing his exit.. and what you do is take a good exit, and you can gain a pass. Always must remember not to try overtaking in just any place, but plan well ahead, and also remember to hold back and not rush in carelessly. Sometimes if i outbrake i leave my move with the driving line as late as possible. You must take note where the other guy will brake, stay right behind.. then just a sec before his braking marker change line and outbrake him, he cant defend or it will mess his corner completely. This should be done on corners where you know you are strong in. Good tips?

Plan ahead.. take note where you are stronger than the poor bastard who will be passed soon.. Dont rush.. Its like chess, really.

Confusing post? Propably.. just woke up.. and i need ton of coffee before my brain wakes up!
The outbraking technique is VERY hard... If you try it... you WILL hit the person ahead of you... First, there is lag, meaning the person starts to brake BEFORE his brake lights light up. So you have to predict when he will start to brake. Second, if he is fast, then you will probably over shoot the turn in and ram into him...

For beginners. follow the person about 2 car lengths behind, and pass on a straight, or when they make a mistake.

Then you can start passing mid corner such as the first corner on SO-Town REV. Then make your way to outbraking.
I dislike those whose use outbraking. Usually they try to overbrake when I have already started to turn in (atleast thats what I understood from beginner tips; if someone has overlap at turn-in point, then I leave room/let them pass) and chosen my racing line trough the corner and they just slam me and yelli they had overlap.

If they do it clean, no problem then.
Quote from pine-fin :I dislike those whose use outbraking. Usually they try to overbrake when I have already started to turn in

That method is not called outbraking, its divebombing..
#8 - CSU1
As you approach another driver, and are clearly faster than he/she, try to show the driver that you intend to overtake by presenting yourself into the next corner.

eg. as you both approach the breaking point for the corner, move along-side with the nose of your car in just enough so as the driver can clearly see you intend to overtake in the apex. If he driver will not let you pass - tough luck, back off and try again at another section of the track. Imo divebombimg and trying to out-brake every driver is too dangerous. The only time you should adopt this technique is when 1.) you've just had ~two good laps battle with the car and outbraking is the only option left, and 2.) Your tyres are at optimal breaking temp, and to be honest if you try to outbrake everyone you'll just wind up in the sand for spent tyres.

Overtaking/blue-flags etc is just about common sense, just because you are faster than the car in front does not give you the right to dive bomb or act in any such way that could cause an accident. The key to good racing is to keep it clean when overtaking, present yourself to EVERYONE before you overtake as they may not have seen you. In the rare occasion of a driver delieratley not leeting you by i preferre the 'tag' technique i learnt of the telle'
I usually slipstream people on the blackwood straight and finish it off by outbraking them.

Although saying that - I've probably only done that entirely successfully once - that time I braked so late that I risked going off the track... somehow I didn't
Here are some basic tactics and set ups.

Passing on the straight

The safest overtake is on the pit straight or the back straight. To enable this to occur, you will need to corner much better than the person ahead, and be able to obtain a speed advantage when exiting the final turn before the straight.

Once you have the faster exit, get in their slipstream to enhance your speed advantage even more, then move out of the slipstream when you are around two car length behind.

When you move out, choose the side that is closest to the apex of the approaching turn (ie. if the next turn is a right-hander, move out to the right), because this will give you a shorter line and better chance to defend your position or will give you the option of trying outbraking for the next turn if you cannot clear your opponent on the straight.

Passing on the straight is the safest pass. It is also the preferred method if your car has faster straight-line speed or acceleration.

Pass set-up using the outside of a corner

This is safest when used to set-up a pass, rather than actually performing the pass. However, if your car has cornering advantage, you can use this to perform the pass itself.

Use this when approaching two low-to-medium speed consecutive turns in the same direction (eg. right-hander immediately followed by another right-hander, or vice-versa for left-handers).

Deliberately taking an outside line for the first turn will allow you to take a late apex line for the second turn, allowing you to get on the throttle sooner than your opponent and giving you a chance to either pass mid-corner of the second turn or on the straight section after the second turn.

When approaching the first turn, stick close to the outside edge of the track. Leave you braking a little later than normal. Brake hard and take a slightly wider line than normal. You will see your opponent move away ahead of you.

Keep your focus on the exit of the next turn, try your best to conserve your momentum, and take the classic racing line for the next turn. If done correctly, you will close in rapidly on your opponent as he will likely have pushed the throttle later or needed to brake or lift-off before the second turn.

The outcome will be highly dependent on the turns, your opponent, and your own skill:
1. If your opponent has taken an early apex on the second turn, you may be able to pass him on the outside of the second turn.
2. If your opponent has taken a late or classic apex on the second turn, you may be able to pass him on the inside of the second turn during the exit phase.
3. If your opponent is handled himself properly, then you will be close enough behind him to slipstream on the next straight and set up another passing attempt.

Passing on S-s

If you are approaching a set of two opposing turns (eg. right-hander immediately before a left-hander, or vice versa), then you still use the outside cornering strategy described above, to set up a pass.

There are some differences however.

In the set-up described previously, you could have to option of taking a wide line through the first turn and a tight line through the second turn, depending on the degree of tightness and proximity of the two turns.

When passing on S-s, you must hit the apex on the inside edge of the turn. You should not run wide through the entire turn.

This means that your braking will need to be done at the proper place, rather than slightly later as previously described.

On approach to the first turn, brake and turn in appropriately to hit a slightly delayed apex on the first turn. You opponent will probably pull away a little.

As you approach the apex of the first turn, shift your focus to the apex of the second turn. Get on the throttle as quickly as you can and attempt to launch yourself through the second turn by either utilising an early apex line or the classic line, depending on the conditions.

Ideally, the outcome will be for you to pass your opponent on the inside of the second turn, or accelerate past him on the exit phase of the second turn. The late apex line you took for the first turn will give you more room to tackle the second turn and allow you - hopefully - to get on the throttle quicker for a faster exit.

Keep in mind that the latter two tactics are quite difficult, and require a some careful practice to do properly without crashing or causing your opponent to swear profanities at you for dangerous driving. Out-braking can be extremely challenging even for experienced racers, so I didn't include it in this post.

General tips:
- Before performing any manoeuvre, check your mirrors.
- Look ahead as far as you can.
- When cornering, don't think about this corner. Think of the next one.
- Slow in... fast out.
- No plan survives first contact. Have a "way out" if something goes wrong.
- The onus of safety is on the driver attempting to pass.

Overtaking Techniques
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG