The online racing simulator
allow street and race compound tires for every car...
they should allow street and race compound tires for every car...that way we can appreciate the difference in grip and performance of each kind of tire...giving each driver more understanding of how important proper tire selection is in real world racing...somewhat of a lost art and understanding these days it seems...!
This has been discussed before and basically, it's not going to happen.
The problem is that if all tyres are allowed then people will use slicks all the time online, forcing everyone else to do the same in order to be competitive. This would blur the line between road cars and race cars which is not what the devs want.
There is a patch somewhere (on the RSC.net LFS Forum I think) which 'unlocks' all tyres for all cars if you really want it.
#3 - Woz
You would never drive the race spec cars on normal tires IRL and the road cars would be very dull on slicks so the current balance is fine.

Also as stated this has been thrashed to death.

BTW. there is a mod on the forum that allows you to try all cars with slicks.
#4 - JeffR
RSC removed the link to the mod, but you can do a web search via google for slicks for all cars and will find it as the first or second hit.

In my opinion, slicks for all cars, if server optional, would be a good thing for LFS. This allows players to compete on a non-slick tire server if they so choose.

The mod pretty much allows this (if the host has the slick tire mod, than other can join and use slicks online), but it would be nice to include it in the game.

Changing gearing and rear end differential locking rates is something rarely done on most street class racing, yet LFS allows this. On the other hand, most real racing with street cars is done with very sticky DOT tires which are only "technically" street legal, as they are not really intended for street use, or it is done with true slicks.

Rather than trying to draw a line as to which cars could have slicks, just let them all have slicks, but have a server option to disallow slicks, just as the servers can currently restrict which cars can run on a server.

What would be the harm of this scheme?
#6 - JeffR
Thanks for the link to the forum thread. It's nice to see that moderators here aren't as restrictive as those at RSC. I wasn't sure if it was OK to post a link to that mod. This seems to be a very good forum.
I quote Nuvolari from this message:

I spoke to Scawen about the tyre mod and he said- Quote:
I don't think it's worth us objecting to this, there was a slick tyre mod in S1 days as well. If it's basically harmless and cannot be used online in legitimate servers, then no problem.

I think the kinds of mods we really do not want released, are ones that change the shape of the car model, or of course ones that allow online cheating.

from this thread- http://www.lfs-torque.net/cgi- ... /YaBB.pl?num=1122781881/0
#8 - JeffR
Even if LFS never includes slicks for all cars, it's good to see that Scawen isn't objecting to allowing players to have fun with the mod offline or with unofficial servers with their friends. Got to respect him for that.
Well I think road cars, especially three faster ones need better tires. Road_hyper or something, like "very sticky DOT tires" mentioned above. Also I'd like to see road_supers back on XFG/XRG. XRG was so nice to drive in S2 demo, but not any more...
Current road normals have as much grip as old road supers. Maybe even too much grip, you can pull just over 1g with road normals now.
I'd like to see rallycross-tyres for XFR and UFR. They would be so much fun in rallycross...
But no need for all the tyres for all the cars.
we need Slick_R -50 tyres for Drag Races.... the ones, you can peel of with your fingers

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG